K1000 vs balanced HD650
Feb 22, 2007 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
OK, this has been bugging me lately. How would you compare a properly amped K1000 and balanced HD650 in the following areas:

Imaging- By this I don't mean the soundstage size, but the ability to place and locate sounds in a 360 degree space around you. I so miss this from the L3000, and the single-ended HD650 sucks here. Completely.

Fullness/weight- I know the K1000 won't have bass extension, and might be a bit brighter, but how does it approach the traditional Sennheiser house sound? How thin are they when finally properly driven?

I know, I should probably just try both out, but I could only do that single-ended, so I'm curious to see how things change when balanced drive comes into play. Thanks!

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 20
Imaging is much better on the K-1000, balanced HD650 doesn't come close.

Weight would have to go to the HD650. The K-1000 is not thin when properly amped, but Senns have a thicker sound without a doubt, especially the bass heavy HD650.

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fullness/weight- I know the K1000 won't have bass extension, and might be a bit brighter, but how does it approach the traditional Sennheiser house sound? How thin are they when finally properly driven?

Which amp have you used on the K1000 ?

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 20
I have spent an hour maybe with the balanced HD-650 on a Rudistor, so I can't make a very good report but the impression I got then is still clear in my mind.

For imaging, the K1000 takes the cake. The balanced HD-650 still has a bit of that 3-way soundstage. Middle, and sides. It's better than most headphones (definitely an improvement over the single ended HD-650), but still a long shot from the K1000's speakerlike presentation and soundstage.

The balanced HD-650 is a lot fuller than the K1000. So much that I greatly preffer the K1000 in this department. The fullness can be fun with large orchestras, but might get tiring when you want to listen to a more relaxed song. While the K1000's are far from as full as the HD-650's, they are far from thin. If they are, just turn the speakers a bit closer to your head. That's a great plus of the K1000's, they can be finetuned to allmost any head.

Hope that helps a bit. At the recent Benelux meet both were present (my K1000 and Kees's balanced HD-650/Rudistor) so there should be others who can give their opinion.

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 20
I agree with wat is said in the above posts. I like the full bodied sound of the balanced HD650 though. Balanced the HD650 are "a" contender in the top league (also ran).
I also think that, when amped properly, the K1000 do not sound thin nor bright. With a really good amp the K1000 are with the very best. Period.
All my personal opinion of course
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really starting to enjoy the HD650 recently, I hope balanced mode improves them further.

Does that mean you might be leaning towards the dark side? Say it aint so
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Well I haven't heard my HD650 balanced yet.....I'm liking it single ended on my setup now. To some extent, no matter what killer amp combo you use with a headphone....either you'll like it or you won't. Senns seem more natural to my ears and temperment. They're too dark for others. I've only auditioned the k1000 once, so this is just an initial impression that it had nice soundstaging and details. I didn't like symphony recordings as much because of the lower frequency response: IMO, you need more bass to carry intonation and decay. Not everyone agrees with that, so certain stats and the k1000 are a better match for them: where you get more transparency.

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 20
I have to agree with Kees, I have never heard such detail in a headphone, and with my Class D digital switching amp, there is no thinness and the sound is full...but what strikes me as amazing, is how real the instruments and voices sound..there is no coloration, warmness, etc.
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 20
If you find the way to have a HD650 less blooming you will have an excellent cans; If you find the way to have a K1000 not bright or thin... you will have the best of the best for personal listening.

Just my two cents
k1000smile.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 20
I've owned both, and I've blogged on both systems. Others also heard my balanced 650 system and liked it. No one has hear my current K1000 system (in my exact configuration).

Both blogs are linked in my Sig below. For me there is no contest. Outside of IEMs for my iPod, I own and enjoy only one pair of phones
k1000smile.gif

To be fair, bass impact (and to some degree depth) is the one area the balanced 650 beat K1000s. But the K1000 -- properly driven -- is just more real (IMO). For perspective, I've owned a several 2ch rigs in the $5,000 - $12K range. The K1000s in my system come close to my 2ch experiences in many areas. My balanced 650s with either the Zu Mobius or Moon Blue Dragon (balanced) cable were not in the same league (IMO).

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find the way to have a HD650 less blooming you will have an excellent cans; If you find the way to have a K1000 not bright or thin... you will have the best of the best for personal listening.

Just my two cents
k1000smile.gif

x2.

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 20
Looks like I might go from MPX3 Slam SE to a stock Extreme and use the remainder to try some
k1000smile.gif

My main reason to hesitate is that I won't be able fill in the K1000 (I enjoy a richer, bassier sound, I think), but the imaging potential and ability to disappear are really alluring...

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I might go from MPX3 Slam SE to a stock Extreme and use the remainder to try some
k1000smile.gif

My main reason to hesitate is that I won't be able fill in the K1000 (I enjoy a richer, bassier sound, I think), but the imaging potential and ability to disappear are really alluring...

Send your Sony player to Dan Wright for his Signature Truth Mod package, including the magnificent tubed analog output stage. Expensive, but worth it if you want to get the most out of your source.

If it is anything like my old 999ES (and it should be way-better!), it will sound like many times the price, and you will never want for a full, rich sound with complete bass again. It's the perfect source for K1000's, imo.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send your Sony player to Dan Wright for his Signature Truth Mod package, including the magnificent tubed analog output stage. Expensive, but worth it if you want to get the most out of your source.

If it is anything like my old 999ES (and it should be way-better!), it will sound like many times the price, and you will never want for a full, rich sound with complete bass again. It's the perfect source for K1000's, imo.

I'm contemplating going for a DAC or CDP w/ digital inputs instead, to meet my source needs better, but thanks for the tip. I think if I do try out the K1000, the Extreme w/ a Ken-Rad in the driver position (and I have like 10+ of the 12SN7 version) would help out a lot, too. Still not sure, but I guess I'll just have to try it out for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back