K1000/RKV hook-up
Apr 13, 2003 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I'm hoping someone can help out with the hook-up of these two. I know the RKV is an excellent match for the K1000s, but since the K1000 cable comes with 4 wires that are to be hooked up to an amp, and since the RKV only has a jack, how is the hookup accomplished?
I'm assuming that I would need to solder a 1/4 phone jack on to the 4 wires.......is this correct?
And I would also like to get the Equinox upgrade cable, which has a few choices. The problem is, if I get the one for the jack on the RKV, that limits my use to the RKV. If I get the one with the bare wires or spades, then I can't use them with the RKV.
Any insight or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 14
If you get a extension that ends in a 1/4 inch plug, you can use any headphone amp that has enough power for the K-1000 (OK, so there aren't that many
tongue.gif
). You'd still have the stock cable for connection to a power amp. It would also be possible to simply make up a 1/4 inch jack to spade adapter, so you could hook a socket for your cable to any set of binding posts. Lots of ways to do it. I'd focus on using your best cable (Equinox to be) with the RKV, and use the stock cable with the rest.

Radio Shack has a 1/4 inch plug that uses screw on connections, rather than solder. This would let you attach the stock cable to the RKV without doing anything permanent.

Apr 13, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the info, Hirsch. I'll probably do the Ratshack adapter as you suggested, until my wallet recovers enough to get the Equinox. The non-permanent connection will allow me to check out the K1000s with the vintage amps I have. Much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Get ready for big fun!
smily_headphones1.gif
I had a ball trying the K1000s out with everything in the house except the microwave

John
biggrin.gif

Was that because your microwave was underpowered? I have 800W...

biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 14
I just took the extension cable that comes with the K1000, unsoldered all the wires (they are pure crap) and connected all 4 wires to a 1/4" plug. The cable is exactly 6 inches long, from tip to XLR jack. BTW, i used plain olde oxygen free 18 guage Radio Shack speaker wire. I figure that there can't be too much capacitance, inductance or resistance in a 4" piece of 18 guage copper wire. and i figured that silver wire would just make it sound harsher. if i ever sell them, i can re-attach the old wires. why anyone would want those crappy wires is beyond me, though. they look like 2 cent wires (black, grey and bronze coloured).

of course, now that i have such an adapter, i converted my DT880 and DT931 to discreet 4 wire to XLR connectors.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
I'm tempted to do the DT831 in the same fashion. then I would also make a 4 pin XLR to 1/8" mini-plug to use with the computer. There I may have to settle on a 2 foot or 3 foot length, though. I wouldn't want too much weight on the soundblaster card outpt jacks.
wink.gif

Merkertek sells the 4 pin XLR jacks, along with some nice 1/4" plugs. you can always use a Quad cable (a-la Canary or Equinox, or use any other low-capacitance cable you like, like Belden or Mogami. In the case of Belden, you can just remove the inner wires and make your own cable. Silver wire isn't that expensive, either).

If I were you, I'd just unsolder all 4 wires from the extension XLR jack and solder some nice speaker wire to a good (not Radio Shack) 1/4" plug.

Apr 13, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Bob, have you seen this thread?

Orpheus built K1000 extension cable

You might want to send a PM to Orpheus to discuss some of the options he offers before buying an Equinox extension cable. I've been in recent contact with him (Dean) and am waiting on pricing info, etc. My thougts run parallel to yours in terms of being able to plug in and out of any amp that suits my fancy at the moment, and this is the big limitation of the stock K1000 cable (besides it's poor build quality).

Apr 14, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Was that because your microwave was underpowered? I have 800W...
biggrin.gif

Probably... I have 1000W and it works fine. More importantly, it has a turntable
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
I'm hoping someone can help out with the hook-up of these two. I know the RKV is an excellent match for the K1000s, but since the K1000 cable comes with 4 wires that are to be hooked up to an amp, and since the RKV only has a jack, how is the hookup accomplished?
I'm assuming that I would need to solder a 1/4 phone jack on to the 4 wires.......is this correct?
And I would also like to get the Equinox upgrade cable, which has a few choices. The problem is, if I get the one for the jack on the RKV, that limits my use to the RKV. If I get the one with the bare wires or spades, then I can't use them with the RKV.
Any insight or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Both of mine came from Jan Meier and he installed a Neutrik 1/4" male jack to the K1000 pigtail for me before shipping it. I imagine he joined the two grounds from the pigtail together on the jack's common ground. Works great. No Impeadancder required with the K1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back