K1000 + BAT VK 300x SE
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really don't need that much power for the K1000s: 150w into 8ohms is kind of overkill. I'd rather have a lower-powered amp that runs in Class-A instead of AB and use very little to preferably no feedback.

At the amount of juice the K1000's would draw, the BAT wont come out of class A anyway.
And everything BAT makes is zero feedback.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the amount of juice the K1000's would draw, the BAT wont come out of class A anyway.
And everything BAT makes is zero feedback.

Where does it say on BAT's website that it's all zero-feedback? I'm not trying to question the statement, but I want to know. And you are probably right that at the K1000s won't be drawing the amp out of Class A.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 36
If you go to the websight look up the VK-6200 amp. It mentions it in there.
The integrated uses the same cicuit design, but with less power, as the 6200.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #19 of 36
I always enjoy these K1000 amp threads by Nik. But one has to wonder, why change amps so often when you were *so* ecstatic about the last amp?

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 36
Ah hrm yeah your K1k/Wilson set up is pretty impressive. I'm sure its a great sounding amp ;p

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 36
My VS VR4jr speakers are supposed to have very good synergy with BAT amps, so this is really interesting to me.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always enjoy these K1000 amp threads by Nik. But one has to wonder, why change amps so often when you were *so* ecstatic about the last amp?

I didn't have "changed the amp", I own two amps at the moment. I have bought the BAT for my first pair of speakers (ProAc Response one SC) that do not match so well with the 8 watt of my Air Tight. I have listened the K1000 with the BAT and I think is a better amp even for the cans (BUT only with the NOS 6h30 that are mutch better than the Sovtek new one).

About Zanden and BAT, NOW I think that the pre tubes and the SS power section of the BAT is simply perfect for the K1000, the bass is very controlled and tight, detail are higher respect to the Air Tight and I think even any 300B SE amp. I know that the Zanden is an incredible amp, but you need the "right" kind of amp for the best (or the preferred) sound with the superb K1000.

If you want a warm and lush sound go for a 300B SE amp, if you want the most detailed and powerfull sound go for a first watt, if you want both, go for this BAT hybrid integrated... just my two cents.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #23 of 36
humanflyz's Firstwatt driven by a tube pre amp sounds quite beautiful, alive, clear and warm to my ears. While i can't claim that it is at the level of the zanden or the BAT, i certainly perfer the firstwatt/zana deux to any SE 300b amp i've heard (W5 and moth included) with the K1000... it is absolutely addictive.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a warm and lush sound go for a 300B SE amp, if you want the most detailed and powerfull sound go for a first watt, if you want both, go for this BAT hybrid integrated... just my two cents.

That's the sound I'm after. I get it to some degree with the Aleph 30. The F1 controlled the drivers better, but sounded too analytical for me. The Aleph has warmth for a SS amp, but ideally the BAT sounds like a winner. I will have to keep it in mind. I've been waiting for someone to try the BAT out with the K1000s for awhile now - knowing that is the amp I want to eventually get for my speakers.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the sound I'm after. I get it to some degree with the Aleph 30. The F1 controlled the drivers better, but sounded too analytical for me. The Aleph has warmth for a SS amp, but ideally the BAT sounds like a winner. I will have to keep it in mind. I've been waiting for someone to try the BAT out with the K1000s for awhile now - knowing that is the amp I want to eventually get for my speakers.

Remember the NOS 6h30 !!! These tubes are probably (for what I know) the most "correct and neutral" you can find between all the triodes. The prestage of the BAT let you know this !!!

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Remember the NOS 6h30 !!! These tubes are probably (for what I know) the most "correct and neutral" you can find between all the triodes. The prestage of the BAT let you know this !!!

Definately will - thanks
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #27 of 36
I am getting to a point where I think my rig has outclassed the K1000. I am now enjoying listening to speakers much more than listening to the K1000. Does it really makes any sense to invest so much just listen to music out of headphones, even the K1000 ?

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #28 of 36
Given the choice, I think most people, including myself, would rather listen to speakers than k1000s.

K1000s are worth it for me to invest in because circumstances do not allow me to listen to speakers comfortably (i.e. live in apartment).

That being said, with respect to any other headphone I've tried, k1000s are the absolute best
k1000smile.gif
for me! I thought about getting a zana deux/hd600 as a second rig, but canceled it because I don't think I'll ever want to listen to another rig at home besides my k1000s.

And at a certain level, after getting a high end amp like a zanden, air tight, or BAT...I think getting a couple of mods to the k1000 will make much more a significant improvement in sound than changing amps.

Along with getting the k1000s hardwired with an equinox or other cable, I'd suggest to any serious k1000 owner to think about getting the cage mod (partial removal of the cage).

It is a SIGNIFICANT improvement.
I purchased another head-fier's k1000 that already had the equinox hardwire and the cage modded so I've never directly compared to a hardwired k1000 with the cage, but I did listen to Voltron's equinox hardwired k1000 and the cage mod was a significant improvement over that..on par with getting the aftermarket cable itself.

I was somewhat unsure, given the diaphram is sitting right next to the ear, but there's a significant improvement in soundstage and bass. Bass goes lower and you start to feel it...like you would with listening to speakers.

The negatives are that lint tends to collect on it so xtra care must be taken to make sure it's covered when not in use. Not sure if there's a safe way to remove the lint, but I'm not sure I want to try to clean it and damage anything. There doesn't seem to be any affect on sound from the lint.

Also, I have a stock k1000 just in case as a backup
k1000smile.gif

so this may be for those who do have an xtra pair and want to experiment a little.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Along with getting the k1000s hardwired with an equinox or other cable, I'd suggest to any serious k1000 owner to think about getting the cage mod (partial removal of the cage).

It is a SIGNIFICANT improvement.
I was somewhat unsure, given the diaphram is sitting right next to the ear, but there's a significant improvement in soundstage and bass. Bass goes lower and you start to feel it...like you would with listening to speakers.

The negatives are that lint tends to collect on it so xtra care must be taken to make sure it's covered when not in use. Not sure if there's a safe way to remove the lint, but I'm not sure I want to try to clean it and damage anything. There doesn't seem to be any affect on sound from the lint.

can you post a pic please of the modded screen
k1000smile.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo 5 isn't remotely in the Zanden's league ;p It can be placed one tier below along with the Moth which I'd place a tier or perhaps only a half a tier above the Firstwatt/Aelph.

i thought i'd read that at the national meet folks in the k1k room thought that the woo5 was quite near the zanden for a bunch less ka-ching.

Quote:

I have listened the K1000 with the BAT and I think is a better amp even for the cans (BUT only with the NOS 6h30 that are mutch better than the Sovtek new one).

since it seems that some of you attended this meet could you tell what tubes were installed in the woo 5? there's an early report that switching from the sovteks to even some chinese 300b tubes significantly improves the sound of the amp (unpublished report (so far) from another user who hopefully will have more to say about this). gotta wonder what happens with something like western electric, kr, or sophia electric 300bs.

Quote:

anyone have any idea of how the redwine amp fits into this hierarchy? there have been threads where folks have really loved that amp above the other known players when used in conjunction with the k1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back