K1000 amps: First Watt F1 & Red Wine Audio Signature 30 (A mini-blog)
Sep 6, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #76 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
- Warm (Srajan uses this adjective in his 6moons review)
- Organic
- Intimate
- Involving
- Sweet
- Transparent
- Window to the performers
- Breath of life
- Air
- Space
- Euphoric

My system consist of wavelength brick silver version/MIT IC/Flying mole CA-S3/equinoxed k1000 now,i'd say my k1000 has the same sound you just described above.in addition,I also heard undertones from some kind of violin which i have never before......mid and high are absolutely gorgous....i wish there is more bass though.

in case anyone is interested,the violin i mention above is from kanon in d string orchestra from Neo genesis evangelion:death soundtrack.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #77 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
My system consist of wavelength brick silver version/MIT IC/Flying mole CA-S3/equinoxed k1000 now,i'd say my k1000 has the same sound you just described above.in addition,I also heard undertones from some kind of violin which i have never before......mid and high are absolutely gorgous....i wish there is more bass though.

in case anyone is interested,the violin i mention above is from kanon in d string orchestra from Neo genesis evangelion:death soundtrack.

Interesting that your set up has that warm and organic sound. What would you say most contributed to that? I'm guessing the brick. I have the F1 in my system and it's definitely not warm (but still engaging), this thread has made me wonder about the Sig 30 as an alternative but I would hate to lose the resolution, speed and bass that the F1 has, so I'm wondering if a tubed source like the cosecant with volume control would make for a synergistic combination.

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #78 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz
Interesting that your set up has that warm and organic sound. What would you say most contributed to that? I'm guessing the brick. I have the F1 in my system and it's definitely not warm (but still engaging), this thread has made me wonder about the Sig 30 as an alternative but I would hate to lose the resolution, speed and bass that the F1 has, so I'm wondering if a tubed source like the cosecant with volume control would make for a synergistic combination.

You may want to try using the minimax preamp Srajan Ebaen recommends with the F1. I find that the combo has done alot for the warth and body of the music (depending on tubes used) without sacrificing resolution, speed, or bass. Essentially when you add a tube preamp the sound combinations are almost limitless.

Sep 6, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #79 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand1x
You may want to try using the minimax preamp Srajan Ebaen recommends with the F1. I find that the combo has done alot for the warth and body of the music (depending on tubes used) without sacrificing resolution, speed, or bass. Essentially when you add a tube preamp the sound combinations are almost limitless.

Tried the preamp route awhile ago, not very cost effective for me
confused.gif
. From experience I've learned that keeping it simple is usually the best and cheaper way to go at least for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #80 of 176
Quote:

yup,warm and organic sound,what most contribute to that?i'd say brick + MIT IC + SAA Equinox cable.when I first listened to my k1000 right after SAA equinox cable was installed,the sound is noticably warmer than before,few nights ago I tried different Interconnect and magic was gone.i hook the same setup to my JM reynaud trentes with some cheapo speaker cable and i can't get that kind of magic midrange either.

BTW,just listen to my trentes right now and I am amazed by my k1000,this is the FIRST TIME I prefer "headphone" to my speakers.k1000 has that kind of sedutive vocal yet manage to sound so clear,my speakers sound congested compare to k1000.but my speakers beat k1000 at bass department(needless to say),listen to jennifer warnes 'way down deep,k1000 bass is a joke compare to my speakers.....sigh...i know i am asking too much,but if k1000 can produce realistic bass like loudspeaker,my search will be over.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #81 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
yup,warm and organic sound,what most contribute to that?i'd say brick + MIT IC + SAA Equinox cable.when I first listened to my k1000 right after SAA equinox cable was installed,the sound is noticably warmer than before,few nights ago I tried different Interconnect and magic was gone.i hook the same setup to my JM reynaud trentes with some cheapo speaker cable and i can't get that kind of magic midrange either.

BTW,just listen to my trentes right now and I am amazed by my k1000,this is the FIRST TIME I prefer "headphone" to my speakers.k1000 has that kind of sedutive vocal yet manage to sound so clear,my speakers sound congested compare to k1000.but my speakers beat k1000 at bass department(needless to say),listen to jennifer warnes 'way down deep,k1000 bass is a joke compare to my speakers.....sigh...i know i am asking too much,but if k1000 can produce realistic bass like loudspeaker,my search will be over.
k1000smile.gif

Just add a small subwoofer to you K1000 rig
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #82 of 176
hey first watt F1 owners,

has anyone measured the DC offset of the amp?

i'm in the process of building mine and there is absolutely no DC protection on this thing.

just want to check what DC levels are safe for running the K1K, seeng as you guys myst have had them plugged for some time now.

mr pass says in the manual it should be around 50 mV, but isnt that too high for cans?

thanks a lot!

Sep 7, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #83 of 176
Wish I could help you with the DC stuff, but I'm far from a tech guy
confused.gif

tyloh73, nice rig, especially the brick! I would love to try one of those out.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #85 of 176
Quote:

Anyone know anything about this amp? looks like a probable candidate to drive the K1000, plus its battery powered.

http://www.altmann.haan.de/byob/byob.htm

The Red Wine Audio Signature 30 is also battery powered. It should eliminate some of the noise brought about by the power section.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #86 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl
The Red Wine Audio Signature 30 is also battery powered. It should eliminate some of the noise brought about by the power section.

Yeah I know
biggrin.gif
thought it would make for an interesting comparison. I may take the plunge.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #88 of 176
All the Altmann stuff I've looked at appears to be a horrible ripoff. There isn't even a chassis, and they're charging 1K? It might cost them $50 to build it, including labor. It's not really even 1k, because you have to buy the batteries yourself. When there are so many options available, it's amazing to me that this stuff gets any attention at all. No chassis, no power supply, and

I do have a question about digital/Tripath amps and the AKG K1000. As I understand it, the digital chip amps aren't designed to be used with high impedance speakers. The K1000's have a 120ohm impedance, which could change the sonic character of a digital amplifier.

Has this problem been addressed with the Redwine Sig30? I know that in order to get a flatter frequency response with the Sonic Impact and the K1000's you have to put a resistor across the outputs as a dummy load.

-Aaron

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #89 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheya
The K1000's have a 120ohm impedance, which could change the sonic character of a digital amplifier.

Has this problem been addressed with the Redwine Sig30? I know that in order to get a flatter frequency response with the Sonic Impact and the K1000's you have to put a resistor across the outputs as a dummy load.

-Aaron

During my evaluation, Vinnie and I exchanged several e-mails on this point. From Vinnie... "nowhere in the TK2051 datasheet does it show a rise in the High Freq response if the speaker load is greater than 6-ohms (as it shows for the TA2024 chip used in the Sonic T-Amp)."

Just for grins, Vinnie shipped me a pair of heavy duty resistors to try. The resistors drained some of the life out of the sound, so I use mine w/o resistors. Again, according to Vinnie, Srajan did not use resistors for his review either.

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #90 of 176
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I looked at the datasheets for the TK2051 and the TA2024. I'm not incredibly knowledgable, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The frequency response graph for the TA2024 shows an increase in output for frequencies above 10khz when the amp is driving an 8ohm load, and a decrease when the amp is driving a 4ohm load. One could assume that as the ohms increase, the increase in response would also increase, creating a sharp rise in highh frequency output.

There is no equivalent graph for the TK2051 in the datasheet. It was my limited understanding that this problem of varying frequency response with load is inherent to digital amplifiers. I had a couple of SI T amps (both of them broke), and I never really got them to sound very good with the K1000, even with a resistor across the output. Without the resistor, they definitely sounded tinny and bright. I suspect that they were also under driven by that amplifier, since it isn't really 15 watts, more like 5.

So, my question for anyone who happens to be following this thread and might know the answer is:

Do all digital amplifiers vary frequency response in relation to the load they are driving in a way that would greatly effect the frequency response of the amplifier into a load like the AKG K1000?

thanks for taking the time to read my post.
-Aaron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back