K1000 Amp Survey
Jun 24, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #47 of 94
I listen to my K1000s primarily with either the Aleph 3, 30 or J from Pass Labs. I am narrowing down one to stick with. I think the 3 is a nice amp and is constructed like a tank but the sound I am getting with the two newer amps is better. Better power supply probably plays a part in this and the manual for the Aleph 30 lists several other things that were improved on the 30. I have tried the 30 with both balanced and single ended input today and I have found the balanced is slightly better. I just got the 30 a couple of days ago so I am still trying to form an opinion but I think right out of the box I prefer the sound to the Aleph 3. The J is very new as well and is not properly burnt in yet. If it starts to move from its rather sterile sound to sound more like the 30 it will be the keeper with the 30 as a backup.

Jun 25, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #48 of 94
I've yet to experience the true potential of the k1000. I am hoping the first watt f1 I have coming will be sufficient. It's good to hear that others have experienced greatness in the form of other Nelson Pass offerings
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #51 of 94
EAR V20 - K1000 is something really special.

The K1000 almost reaches that performance with the Electrocompaniet AW 180 Monoblock.

Still... The V20 is better. More musical.

Jun 25, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #53 of 94
We've got the VolksAmp version of the Pass designed Aleph 1. I like it just fine with the K1000. I think the K1000 NEEDS a VERY good amp to really bring out what they can do. Under-driven they sound pretty poor.

Jun 25, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 94
I might be able to get some K1000 on loan soon to try with my Sugden A21a as well as my SLAM as a point of reference. The Sugden is a great sounding Class A machine with a similar reputation than some Nelson Pass amps. Should be fun.
k1000smile.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #55 of 94
I've gotten halfway decent sound from a Denon receiver and the PreSonus Central Station.

I know, I know, you're not supposed to use those with the K-1000.

But I am doing something about it. First, I have a DynaMight under construction. Most of the parts sourced, and I'll solder the boards in the next few weeks.

Second, I'm taking a whack at this:

http://www.pmillett.com/ecc99_srpp_headphone_amp.htm

This is the SRPP ECC99 Pete Millett designed specifically for the AKG K-1000. Millett's an excellent designer and I wanted to be able to listen to tubes, as well. So I got the Sowter trannies shipped over from England, have all the discrete components, and just picked up a cabinet yesterday. I still need to get some switches, jacks, sockets, etc. for it. But I'm close.

With a little luck, I'll have a working one at the LA meet in August for people to try out with my K-1000s.

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #56 of 94
Let me ad two comments:

1. The exchange of the cable is - from my perspective - essential to get the optimal sound from the K-1000.

http://www.stefanaudioart.com/K1000HWPic1.htm

If you keep the stock cable you might end up buying an amplifier who tries to overcome the stock cable deficits (e.g. tubes). Very difficult
wink.gif

Here is the review on the 6moons site regarding this cable exchange:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...2/k1000_2.html

2. The T-Amp should be slightly modified before using it with the K-1000. Norbert Lehmann the headphone amp developer wrote:

Quote:

Hi,

I have to add some thoughts about using any Tripath amp with the K1000:

All Tripath applications show an output filter usually designed for 4 Ohms loudspeakers. If you use this application with an 8 Ohms loudspeaker the ripple in the frequency response will be around 0.5 dB which is rather unproblematic.

If the amplifier is measured with _open_ outputs the peak at 20kHz reaches a value of around 30dB(!) which would be more than unacceptable. Nevertheless I assume that with the 120 Ohms of the K1000 (factor 30 compared to the filter's calculated load) you will have a treble peak of several dB which is more than just a nice coloration.

To use an AKG K1000 with such a Tripath based amp one should shunt the amp's outputs with 8 Ohm resistors to avoid the high frequency peak.

The same resistor will also reduce the energy in the 100kHz - 1MHz band where the switching frequency is wandering dependent on the power drawn from the amp but this is another effect.

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #58 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
We've got the VolksAmp version of the Pass designed Aleph 1. I like it just fine with the K1000. I think the K1000 NEEDS a VERY good amp to really bring out what they can do. Under-driven they sound pretty poor.

Couldnt agree more, oh Lord of the Blockhead! One really, really needs to hear them driven by a good amp with more than enough power. The first few times I ever heard the K1000's at meets, they were connected to amps that were "just" able to power them, and I thought, okay, but nothing worth bothering with. Sometime later I finally had the chance to hear them through amps that were suited to them and the difference was night and day. With a REALLY good amp, these can be simply amazing and an experience unlike anything else in headphone audio.

JC

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #59 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
It's not a question of impedance, so much as power. Typical headphone impedances range from 32 ohms to 300 ohms, so the K-1000's 120 ohm impendance is right in the ballpark. However, the K-1000 is very inefficient compared to most headphones, and normally requires a speaker amp rated at 7-10 watts to drive them. However, that rating is normally into 8 ohms or so, so the real output needed would be the wattage of the same amp into 120 ohms, which is a bit less. Some headphone amps have enough power to drive the K-1000 (but fewer will drive it well). There are some good suggestions in this thread.

The K-1000s need 1W at 120 ohms. Not 7-10 watts.
10 or so watts at 8 ohms is just right. The Dared MP-5 at 13W into 8 ohms works great. I'm very pleased so far. $330.00 bux. Good deal! Sounds a lot better than the SAC K-1000.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I've gotten halfway decent sound from a Denon receiver and the PreSonus Central Station.
I know, I know, you're not supposed to use those with the K-1000.

Ha, ha, I use Central Station with K1000 for all my jazz listening.
A bit forward and bright, but very exciting.
Sounds tonally similar to DT880 this way.
Thought about getting DT880 for jazz lisatening, but now there is no need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back