K1000 Amp Survey
Aug 2, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #76 of 94
amps that I have seen work well with the K1000s
Fisher kx100- this intergrated tube amp from Fisher may be the best headphone value around. The K1000s were very detailed, lively with great bass both in impact and depth.The k1000s were driven from the speaker terminals at 16ohms. BTW the headhphone jack is great too they rocked my k340s.
ASL 1005 300b amp, really good sound more midrange than the Fisher but lacked some oomph.
Moth 2a3s, very suprised that they drove the k1000s well at 3 watts per channel. After setting the speaker outs to 16ohms they did well I never raised the volume past 6/7 on the amp and I listen fairly loud. So far my favorite but I am fickle.

To recap on a budget and need a good amp the fisher kx100 is a no brainer, just make sure it has been recently gone over by a tech before purchase. Used and recently redone they go for 350ish but unrestored coulld run 150-200 and another 200-300 to restore (unless you can DIY).

The Fisher has an added bonus it has a great MM phono stage and makes magic with my Grado cart.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #78 of 94
Aug 4, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #79 of 94
Yesterday I received the cable to connect the K1000 in balanced mode to my Supra XLR and must say that the first impressions are quite disappointing
mad.gif
:

First of all I have to crank the volume of the Opus 21 at 99% and the one of the Supra at about 90% which is not good sign. The mids are a bit warmer and nicer than the K1000 out of my Unico, but the slam, impact and bass have gone away, guitars sound horrible.

I definitely believe there is not enough power. Maybe by tube rolling I will find a better synergy, or else the output of my Opus 21 is not enough at 5.5V at 100 Ohms.
confused.gif

As I said this is my first impression, but so far I clearly prefer the K1000 out of my Unison Unico, and I like my speakers much better

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #80 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Yesterday I received the cable to connect the K1000 in balanced mode to my Supra XLR and must say that the first impressions are quite disappointing
mad.gif
:

First of all I have to crank the volume of the Opus 21 at 99% and the one of the Supra at about 90% which is not good sign. The mids are a bit warmer and nicer than the K1000 out of my Unico, but the slam, impact and bass have gone away, guitars sound horrible.

I definitely believe there is not enough power. Maybe by tube rolling I will find a better synergy, or else the output of my Opus 21 is not enough at 5.5V at 100 Ohms.
confused.gif

As I said this is my first impression, but so far I clearly prefer the K1000 out of my Unison Unico, and I like my speakers much better

Vic sorry to hear this try an vintage el84 intergrated amp, not sure what is kicking around in the UK but I have tried this with the Fisher kx100 and it is pretty good, not as good as my moth 2a3 but still right up there. Used vintage tube intergrated amps here are about 300-400 dollars and to me represent great value and sq.

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #81 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
Vic sorry to hear this try an vintage el84 intergrated amp, not sure what is kicking around in the UK but I have tried this with the Fisher kx100 and it is pretty good, not as good as my moth 2a3 but still right up there. Used vintage tube intergrated amps here are about 300-400 dollars and to me represent great value and sq.

Thanks buddy, but I don't think at the moment I want to go through the whole thing of getting a dedicated amp for the K1000, bearing in mind that here in Europe (and 220v) most of the amps listed here are almost impossible to find.
Also I have a speaker rig that I really like and a headphone amp that is really a bliss for traditional cans; and I have a pair of L3000 coming, so I thing for the wile I will stick with regular headphones.

Still I am quite surprised as I have heard a lot of comments of people happy with tube headphone amps, while with the Supra XLR the K1000 are without doubts under driven. Now, beside the much pore powerful power supply, being balanced it should have 4 times more power and double the slew rate.

There must be some technical explaination that I am not getting
confused.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #82 of 94
The AKG SAC 1000 works excellent with my Quad 99 CD-P and the AKG K1000. Interconnect: Van den Hul The Second. Powercables: Lat International AC-2 MK1.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #83 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
anyone know if a Moth 2a3 with drive a k1000
this amp drives the akg 340 really well but is only about three watts?

The Moth 2A3 does an amazing job driving the K-1000. It maybe the best I've heard. The Fisher KX-100 is up there but not the equal of the Moth for this application.

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Thanks buddy, but I don't think at the moment I want to go through the whole thing of getting a dedicated amp for the K1000, bearing in mind that here in Europe (and 220v) most of the amps listed here are almost impossible to find.
Also I have a speaker rig that I really like and a headphone amp that is really a bliss for traditional cans; and I have a pair of L3000 coming, so I thing for the wile I will stick with regular headphones.

Still I am quite surprised as I have heard a lot of comments of people happy with tube headphone amps, while with the Supra XLR the K1000 are without doubts under driven. Now, beside the much pore powerful power supply, being balanced it should have 4 times more power and double the slew rate.

There must be some technical explaination that I am not getting
confused.gif

Vic sorry I am a tech idiot, I can't figure out how the Moth at 3 watts drives the k1000s to extremes the only thing i have figured out is there is more to driving speakers than watt ratings.
Good luck with the amp, I'm sure either Single Power or the folks that use them ca point you in the right direction.
The one thing it may be is I have found the k1000 very sensative to the ohm setting on the amp. When I try to drive them at 4 or 8 ohms out of a speaker terminal they do not sound nearly as good as out of 16ohms.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
mad.gif
:

confused.gif

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm a little suprised that the Supra and k1000 didn't synergize well. I was thinking that it would be a good combo.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #86 of 94
For all you K1000 owners looking for an amp, there's an RKV in the FS forum for only $550 shipped!

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110894

You should be jumping all over this, unless you like spending more money*.

[size=xx-small]* I have no affiliation with the seller who is a longtime Head-Fier. I wanted to bump the ad itself, but that's against the FS forum rules.[/size]

k1000smile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #87 of 94
I'm a new poster, but have hung around here for a while and based on opinions, I scored a V20 for the K1000s. It is everything folks said it was. For eference, I tried the K1000s with:

Levinson 23.5 (too bright);
Dynaco MK IV (too "tired") - I guess I'm showing my age;
Crown SA2 (ouch!)

I didn't try it on the EAR HP4 because I didn't get around to soldering up some plugs.

Yes, even with the V20 they still are a little bright, but the magic; WOW. I am so enamored with them, I bought another pair today just so I will always have a pair.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #88 of 94
There's been a bit of talk about the Moth 2A3 being excellent with the K-1000. Unfortunately, it is out of production and Moth is gone. Has anyone cloned it, or is there a schematic publicly available? At the very least, I'd like to see the circuit. Maybe even build one. Not that I need another amp, but I'd sure like to see what's inside.

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #89 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
There's been a bit of talk about the Moth 2A3 being excellent with the K-1000. Unfortunately, it is out of production and Moth is gone. Has anyone cloned it, or is there a schematic publicly available? At the very least, I'd like to see the circuit. Maybe even build one. Not that I need another amp, but I'd sure like to see what's inside.

I do not know if the schematic is publicly available but you can email Craig of Eddie Current he designed and built the Moth.
http://eddiecurrent.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back