K-pop, J-pop suggestions!
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #691 of 3,783
Rocoberry, duo who are responsible for writing kdrama OSTs. They wrote some really well recognized work, but nobody knows it's written by them. lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocoberry

This is their song. I could see why the lady songwriter would pick out particular singers. Their singing expressions are similar to hers. Punch and Soyou has similar way they express their vocals.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #692 of 3,783
What do you guys use for getting updated on the latest music/videos? I don't have a systematic way to discover the music. I go through Tidal as it has kpop playlists, but it's not most up to date. It's decently up to date.

Is there anything that pushes out the latest stuff so that you can go through them and find stuff that grabs your attention? I don't like going through Youtube randomly, as it tends to recommend the obvious stuff. I like to dig and find some unusual gems.

I'm more interested in non-mainstream kpop. Stuff that's more indie, and experimental. I wonder how I can ran into good indies?

I don't have a system specifically for K-indie. There are a number of YT channels that post weekly videos that contain brief excerpts of new songs/tracks though.

Kville Entertainment (and another channel called Fandom from Peru) will include excerpts of most of the new releases by major artists in their videos. But they don't delve as deeply into the indie and alternative stuff...

Some others I've been trying lately include The K Pop Universe and DJ Digital K-Pop. Like Kville (and Fandom), these channels also post weekly videos containing excerpts of new tracks. But they will also break the tracks down by genre in their videos. And are a bit more comprehensive in scope.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #693 of 3,783
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #696 of 3,783
Thanks for posting this Tanax. I saw the teasers earlier in the week, and was wonderin how this would come out.

The title of the song, 치맛바람 or "Chi Mat Ba Ram", is sort of interesting btw. It literally translates as "skirt wind". And refers to the swishing sound that a skirt makes when you're walking, or dancing (or doing other outdoor activities such as tennis or sports). The term also seems to be used as a general metaphor though for female assertiveness, boldness, courage, bravery, authority and that sort of thing. Another (possibly more pejorative?) use of the phrase is to describe what we in the US refer to as a stage or soccer mom, who takes a bit too much interest in their kids' extracurricular activities. :) Though that doesn't seem to be exactly the connotation here.

The crux of the song (and video) seems to be to "get your summer swish on ladies!" :)

They one is really catchy sounding. I see why their sound went viral. This one looks like they got a better production with bigger budget, and really seems to enhance their performance.

It's a very fitting track for the summer. This one is a fun one.

I think the initial handwave dance move was influenced by below. I thought the summer vibe was similar to what the group 'Cool' would put out in the summer. Also, from the above video, we now know who the real singer in the group is.

I can see that this group's sound is influenced by 90's Eurodance.

Totally loving Brave Girls! Thanks for the explanation ADUHF! :)
As for the real singer in the group, wasn't it always clear that it was 민영 :flushed::smiley:? Love her voice. Quite forward voice but still very pleasant, there's just something that sounds amazing about it!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #699 of 3,783
Sakurambo. This is song that went viral with funny dance. Very fun song, no wonder it turned out the way it did. lol

It was one of Otsuka Ai’s most iconic songs lol

I didn’t know it became viral. No wonder NC.A covered it not too long ago.

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #700 of 3,783
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #701 of 3,783
Wow, she is excellent! Aimyon (あいみょん)

Aimyon seems to be very popular with alot of Japanese listeners. And I like some of her work. But the arrangements on her songs are often a tad too much on the brighter side for my ears... like many other J-pop tracks. I understand her appeal though.

I think I posted at least one of her songs in one of my Jpop blocks in the original Asian music topic. But not totally sure about that.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #702 of 3,783
Aimyon seems to be very popular with alot of Japanese listeners. And I like some of her work. But the arrangements on her songs are often a tad too much on the brighter side for my ears... like many other J-pop tracks. I understand her appeal though.

I think I posted at least one of her songs in one of my Jpop blocks in the original Asian music topic. But not totally sure about that.
Not enough brightness!!! Lol

I kid, but I never been bothered by any of her songs. I didn’t even know people actually do.
But then again, I’m turning into a treble head.

Which songs bother you?

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #703 of 3,783

Does she sound that bright? I didn't notice. Check out headphone and make sure it's not too bright. lol See if it says Beyerdynamic.

It was one of Otsuka Ai’s most iconic songs lol

I didn’t know it became viral. No wonder NC.A covered it not too long ago.
It went viral for cute/funny dances in Korea. There's been other songs that did the same thing (not japanese). I think it expresses a form of Aegyo. Kind of display of certain type of charisma because each person has different way to express stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegyo#:~:text=Aegyo (Korean: 애교; Hanja,and female K-pop idols.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #704 of 3,783
It went viral for cute/funny dances in Korea. There's been other songs that did the same thing (not japanese). I think it expresses a form of Aegyo. Kind of display of certain type of charisma because each person has different way to express stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegyo#:~:text=Aegyo (Korean: 애교; Hanja,and female K-pop idols.

I’m familiar with the Aegyo lol

I’m a Kpop and K variety fan so I see them all the time. But I guess I just didn’t catch the Sakuranbo trend. 😂

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #705 of 3,783
Not enough brightness!!! Lol

I kid, but I never been bothered by any of her songs. I didn’t even know people actually do.
But then again, I’m turning into a treble head.

Which songs bother you?

I like alot of brighter sounding stuff as well. But there are limits! :)

I can't listen to most older Bollywood tracks, for example, because those recordings are just off the charts in terms of their brightness to my ears. Most Jpop tracks tend to come across too bright to my ears as well (though not generally as bad as some of the old Bollywood recordings). Which is why I don't post them quite as often.

I enjoy higher pitched voices, or I wouldn't be a chalga music or Daoko fan. But they can get too hard on my ears if the arrangements don't balance things out at least somewhat.

I will have to give some of Aimyon's songs another listen though, to see which ones were the most and least shrill-sounding.

Does she sound that bright? I didn't notice. Check out headphone and make sure it's not too bright. lol See if it says Beyerdynamic.

It says Beyerdynamic. :)

And the DT-770 is definitely on the brighter in the treble (as denoted by the red and orange curves below)...

DT770.jpg

I use an EQ to fix most of that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back