Absolute Torch and Twang
Ingenue
Drag
Live By Request
Hymns of the 49th Parallel

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 22
All You Can Eat

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 22
Anybody get "Re-Intarnation" yet? I'm curious.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 22
I'm not a fan really, in fact, I generally despise her voice but Hymns of the 49th Parallel is an incredible album. Her rendition of Hallelujah is just awesome, though I love that song in general.

Definitely worth picking up. When my wife saw me walk in the house with it, she was shocked (she is not a fan in the least, dislikes her more than I do) but was wowed by the album.

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 22
Also try "Shadowland" this album was produced by Owen Bradley. He produced Patsy Cline, Lorretta lynn, and Brenda Lee, and the music is first rate and lush! Kind of has that Phil Spector "wall of sound" feeling. I have every K.D. Lang album and there isn't a bad one.

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I'm not a fan really, in fact, I generally despise her voice

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
WOW! I can understand not liking her style, but I've never heard of anyone that despised her voice! Not knockin' your taste, it's just a shock to me.

Jun 14, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
WOW! I can understand not liking her style, but I've never heard of anyone that despised her voice! Not knockin' your taste, it's just a shock to me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. She's just not my thing. That said, I don't generally like country at all, so that should excuse my taste from being unbiased
smily_headphones1.gif

Therefore, it just goes to show how much I do like Hyms!

Jun 14, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. She's just not my thing. That said, I don't generally like country at all, so that should excuse my taste from being unbiased
smily_headphones1.gif

Different strokes indeed! I hate that album
tongue.gif

She's not really a country singer anymore, that was the earlier part of her career.

I recommend Ingenue as a starter
biggrin.gif
Drag is nice but I kind of prefer someone like Jacintha singing those songs, KD comes off a bit too strong sometimes.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Different strokes indeed! I hate that album
tongue.gif

She's not really a country singer anymore, that was the earlier part of her career.

I recommend Ingenue as a starter
biggrin.gif
Drag is nice but I kind of prefer someone like Jacintha singing those songs, KD comes off a bit too strong sometimes.

I never type casted her as a country singer. Her first albums (A Truely Western Experience and Angel With A Lariat) were kind of like what you'd get if a Punk band and a Country band had a wreck on the highway and got all mixed together.
She stopped singing country because the Nashville producers shunned her after she came out of the closet. That's when she did Ingenue. Kind of a F.O. to nashville. Still produced by Ben Mink, her longtime friend and producer. But K.D.'s always done torch songs intermixed with the country ones.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well I definately agree with you about Hymns of the 49th Parallel. It's a masterpiece IMO. Her best work to date. Her version of Neil Young's "Helpless" gives me goosebumps.

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I find it shocking that someone would despise Kd Lang's voice...despise is a very strong word to use on a woman who can sing very musically and knows how to use the many textures of her voice with restraint
rolleyes.gif

i wonder what word you would use on a voice like madonna or kylie minogue
etysmile.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggerio79
I find it shocking that someone would despise Kd Lang's voice...despise is a very strong word to use on a woman who can sing very musically and knows how to use the many textures of her voice with restraint
rolleyes.gif

i wonder what word you would use on a voice like madonna or kylie minogue
etysmile.gif

Dude, get over it. I find her tone annoying, Constant Cravings for instance is a song that makes the hair stand on end on my neck. It gets to me. ME. Read that again. ME.

That is, personally. I never said she was an awful singer, I never said she sucked, I even went so far as to highly recommend one of her albums which I very much enjoy, despite how I feel about her voice generally. So get over it already. I am not attacking her personally, nor her professionally. I stated my opinion, indicated I don't like her and that was that.

Bringing up alternate artists who in YOUR opinion don't meet Ms. Lang's prowess is ...wait for it....SUBJECTIVE! Yes that's right folks! Such an allusion is nothing more than what I myself had indicated a handful of posts above...a subjective statement.

As for Kylie and Louise, well, in fact, I don't mind their songs for the most part, likely because the type of music they tend to sing is something I tolerate more, and for the most part, their voices are altered very heavily so they do sound good, or at least, not bad. For the record, I don't think Madonna can sing at all. Listen to any of her live performances that is not mixed and mastered (say from a DVD) and you will clearly find her rather tone deaf, certainly off key much of the time and she can't hit the highs she does on her albums.

Now does that sound closer to a slam? It should, because it was one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back