K-702 is better than Beyer T1 in a number of ways…
Jul 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #16 of 262

Quote:
You're going to be called noob and fanboy because K701 has no bass, its midrange sounds like plastic and artificially large soundstage 
wink.gif

It always makes me laugh when I read that
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #17 of 262
I have stated in the past for the money the 701 is a remarkable headphone and will always be a best value headphone. Well made and does much right. The biggest difference I hear with the T1 is more transparency and much more refinement. Sound Stage is wide and deep. The refinement is much better than the 701 but I have also stated the T1 is very expensive and probably should be priced less. But it is better that the 701 but it is also 4x more expensive. To me the T1 is a true reference can that will be with me for a long long time and the 701 remains to me a best value for the 258.00 I paid for it and I do not believe for the same money you can do better. That said the T1 needs many hours before you can draw a conclusion. I had a burned in pair I purchased as open box and it still took me about 100 hrs to appreciate how world class it really is. But as I stated everyone hears differently and taste also are different and the OP may prefer the 702. More power to him as he will save a ton of money.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I  

" I have the 701 and the T1 and they are not in the same league. The T1 is better in every way. Let your burn in before saying the 702 is better. Listen for a week or two and then see if you feel that way. No comparison the T1 is much better."

I also have the 701 and have owned three in the 70x series. I've listened to FrankI's T1 on his rig and my rig and, even with only spending a few hours with the T1, the T1 is a much better headphone in comparison. One single aspect of the headphone can't be used to determine if it's better. It's everything that the T1 does together that makes it superior to the AKG.
I like the AKG. For the money nothing can compare to the 70x headphone. The Beyer T1 is better, more balanced, improved neutrality and has a higher level of refinement over the AKG K-70x. To me at least and I know Frank.

As for the soundstage comparison, the AKG's soundstage is well documented. Even though the 701/2 headphones might be more expansive overall, that doesn't, necessarily, make it better. Or worse. Nor can that one point be used as the basis of an argument to say the 70x is better.

If you go point-by-point there might be a few places that the AKG betters the Beyer, but add it all up and the 70x gets beaten. But hey, it is more expensive. It should be better. And it is.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 262
As a pre-K702 user, i would disagree the statement.

IMO, T1 better than K702 in those regards

1.Transparency : All right, in this regard, K702 even cant beat DT990

2.Dynamics : The two are in different league,simply.

3.Imaging : K702's imaging very respectful, but still has some compressed in imaging's edge, T1 just got all things right, in this regard, even HD800 cant beat T1.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #20 of 262
Great to hear!
Hardly a surprise, knowing how the K701/K702 have mixed impressions around here. Some love it while others dislike it.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #21 of 262

Quote:
[size=11pt]Acix…. Where are you? I cannot believe this but I have to admit: My Beyer T1 arrived yesterday and my K-702 betters them in a number of ways. I am too tired to elaborate and I will surely write a detailed review… The Beyer has its strengths… but to say that the T1 is better than the K-702 is massive hyperbole.
k701smile.gif
[/size]

I as one believe you, but try to tell others about the Emperor's new clothes. I don't have any experience with the T1 but after few hours with the DT-770 and the DT880 I don't have big expectation of the T1, One thing I'm pretty sure about...the better amp and DAC you'll have the faster you'll hear and notice the differences and the flaws of the hps. Let's wait and see in two weeks maybe they need some burn in like the AKG's. The second option will be to exchange them with the JH-13 or some SPL amp.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #22 of 262

Quote:
And may I added, 701 although has good width, it has limited depth.

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN !!! T.T It's not a physical object (ok, the waves sort of are, but that's a huge misunderstanding of how they work). Oh, the K701s are spicy, but have limited sweetness. They have a tall sound, but its also very skinny. The sound is brown, which would be dull and cold, except that it's mixed with red, so it's hot! People on these forums have serious issues with how to describe sound :frowning2: They treat it like a magic fairy universe where words just mean what they want them to mean and everyone else is supposed to know what you're talking about, even though you just called the trumpet's noise very 'banana.'

Do you all have multiple forms of synesthesia? hahaha

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #23 of 262
Hardly a surprise some people will prefer the K70X. Some people always prefer X over Y. That's just the way of things. I prefer the Edition 8 over the Senn HD800 (and by a healthy margin), and in some people's eyes I am sure that's nuts. So be it.

That said, I think the T1 shreds the K70X. But of course that is JMO -YMMV.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #24 of 262

Quote:
WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN !!! T.T It's not a physical object (ok, the waves sort of are, but that's a huge misunderstanding of how they work). Oh, the K701s are spicy, but have limited sweetness. They have a tall sound, but its also very skinny. The sound is brown, which would be dull and cold, except that it's mixed with red, so it's hot! People on these forums have serious issues with how to describe sound :frowning2: They treat it like a magic fairy universe where words just mean what they want them to mean and everyone else is supposed to know what you're talking about, even though you just called the trumpet's noise very 'banana.'

Do you all have multiple forms of synesthesia? hahaha

x      z
               |     /
               |    /
               |   /
               |  /
               | /____________ y
               a

a-y: width
a-z: depth
a-x: height

Depth is about how far you think (preceive) the sound come from. Different headphone present music in different way, some present music further away (say DX1000), while other very closed to stage (RS1). Nothing unusual about that.

Jul 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 262
algebra lessons @ head-fi

i love it
biggrin.gif
    Things seem like they're about to get hot n heavy.  I'll leave you gentlemen to it  = )

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #26 of 262
I don't have them side by side but from memory, the BD recabled K701 had better clarity than my HD800's... but that's about it. defenitley amazing hp's with the right setup.  
devil_face.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 262

Quote:
I prefer the Edition 8 over the Senn HD800 (and by a healthy margin), and in some people's eyes I am sure that's nuts. So be it.

Good to know that there is more of us. :D For me the Edition 8's sound is simply more true, and with more impressive bass.

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #29 of 262
The T1 are more fun headphones... but the K-702 is for the studio.... the T1 wins for midrange presence and warmth... but the AKG simply has better soundstaging, imaging, timing, bass control, treble and texture... Resolution wise they are very similar.

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #30 of 262
There again, I can't agree, which is only to say there is no absolute truth there. I didn't care for the K701's treble - it is what made me sell them. It sounded artificial and brittle. The T1's treble sounds very natural to me. I also think the T1 has the superior sound staging capability.

Just my view. But I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way who has owned both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back