K-702 is better than Beyer T1 in a number of ways…
Jul 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 262

bhanja_trinanjan

500+ Head-Fier
[size=11pt]Acix…. Where are you? I cannot believe this but I have to admit: My Beyer T1 arrived yesterday and my K-702 betters them in a number of ways. I am too tired to elaborate and I will surely write a detailed review… The Beyer has its strengths… but to say that the T1 is better than the K-702 is massive hyperbole.
k701smile.gif
[/size]

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 262

Quote:
[size=11pt]Acix…. Where are you? I cannot believe this but I have to admit: My Beyer T1 arrived yesterday and my K-702 betters them in a number of ways. I am too tired to elaborate and I will surely write a detailed review… The Beyer has its strengths… but to say that the T1 is better than the K-702 is massive hyperbole.
k701smile.gif
[/size]

I have the 701 and the T1 and they are not in the same league. The T1 is better in every way. Let your burn in before saying the 702 is better. Listen for a week or two and then see if you feel that way. No comparison the T1 is much better.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 262
Yeah, give it some time first and post some more impressions later :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 262

Quote:
I have the 701 and the T1 and they are not in the same league. The T1 is better in every way. Let your burn in before saying the 702 is better. Listen for a week or two and then see if you feel that way. No comparison the T1 is much better

X2 

My 701 is so gathering dust for a very long time. Gives it solid 2-3 weeks burn in and see what's happens; of all the phones I got, this one seems to have lot of changes though out the period. I am guessing it has something to do with its metal drivers.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 262
lol. I listen to the 702s now thinking about the T1s cos' I kinda miss the sound of the T1s...on the short listen to, I felt that the T1s were better in sound reproduction, but that theory is flawed in that I had different equipment to test it with, so I'll wait and see before I give a final verdict. I thought the imaging was good, but sound staging of the 702s were better, but a lot have said otherwise and I think they would probably be right since I only had a short listen to the T1s
smile_phones.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 262
My dad had gone to Singapore and he bought me the T1 from there.

In my opinion, the T1 has better tonal density in the midrange and better mid-treble integration at all volumes.

The AKG has a leaner, yet flatter and more transparent midrange (other than an upper mid-boost which the AKG has and the T1 does not.) So, mid-treble integration is worse on the AKG.

The AKG has much less bass impact but far better bass control and texture. Mid-bass texture is greater on the K-702, which it achieves with a sense of dryness to the sound.

The T1 is very fun to listen to, but when it comes to ultimate bass resolution, texture and control, the AKG wins easy. (The T1 has much greater bass impact again, making it fun to listen to.)

Detail retrieval wise, the difference is not great and the AKG and Beyer are both outstanding. Some details stand out on the AKG and some on the Beyer.

But the biggest wins the AKG score are in imaging, soundstaging, treble extension and finesse.

The details which the AKG bring out seem to be placed at the correct positions on the soundstage, whereas the Beyer is more 'in-your-head'.

And the K-702 soundstage is much bigger and imaging is pin-sharp... you know where exactly the detail is coming from.

This is from my experience with the K-702 on the Burson HA-160 and the Beyer T1 on the Headroom Ultra Micro. (The Burson does not sound right with the Beyer, IMO)

the K-702 is a very, very finicky phone, but drive it out of the Burson HA-160 and your jaws will drop.

Both are great phones, but they trade their strengths and weaknesses.

This is not AKG-fanboyism, just my honest impressions.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 262

Quote:
The details which the AKG bring out seem to be placed at the correct positions on the soundstage, whereas the Beyer is more 'in-your-head'.

that's what I felt on my brief listen to them
beerchug.gif
; but again, I had a flawed listening impression.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 262
For me, comfort factor is where 701 has an edge over T1. It is lighter and has more comfy earpad. However, part of the reason for my 701 being so comfy is due to the inner side transparent plastic pieces being broken
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 262

Quote:
You're going to be called noob and fanboy because K701 has no bass, its midrange sounds like plastic and artificially large soundstage 
wink.gif

The AKG has excellent bass, but it is down by a few dB from neutral, although the control, texture and speed is outstanding.

I already admitted that the Beyer has better mid-treble integration and the AKG mids can sound wrong at certain volumes. But I cannot unequivocally say that the Beyer has the better midrange... AKG sounds lean and transparent, whereas the Beyer sounds dense, yet less transparent.

And the AKG is flatter in the mids, other than its upper mid boost.

And the AKG soundstage is real... the Beyer is shut in and IEM-like.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 262
He has not burned in the T1. The AKG  is a good headphone but the T1 is a great headphone that does nothing IMO wrong. The 701 is in my draw and except for putting it on and removing it for the T1 has seen no head time since the arrival of the T1 and will be going on the market for sale shortly. just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back