K-340 Version Investigation (56k killer)
Apr 16, 2006 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
The recent K-340 threads and pictures have got me to wondering how many variation and versions there are, so I took the two I own apart and photographed the internals, then scoured head-fi for pictures others have taken and saved those too. Below are pictures of all the internals I could find. Listed by owner/photographer.

Sleipnir 1
Sleipnir1-1.jpg
Sleipnir1-2.jpg

Sleipnir 2
Sleipnir2-1.jpg
Sleipnir2-2.jpg

E.B.M.Head
EBMHead1.jpg
EBMHead2.jpg

SonicDawg
SonicDawg1.jpg

Larry
Larry.jpg

Here are the differences I found:
Electrostat: Some have a gold colored foil, and some have a silver colored foil.
Dynamic Drivers: The colors found are black, grey, red.
Dynamic Driver Center The colors found are red grey, black and green.
Dampening Material: In almost all of the version it is a white cotton but in my alternative pair it is some other multi-colored cotton material.
Crossover PCB: There appears to be 2 (3?) constuction. One step-up transformer is flat and apparently glued to the board, the other is attached with yellow painted screw. As for the third in the pic above I have not heard or seen anything about it posted, but there it is.
Headband: It is already well know that there are two headbands, one that has "AKG" across the top in silver letters and one without.

Soundwise there have been two different versions document. Quoting aerius:
"Yesterday head-fi member philodox came over at my place for a K340 mini-meet and dissection session. First off, our K340's sound radically different, his is a bit bass shy and has much better treble extension and detail than mine. Mine had a boatload of bass, a slightly echoey midrange, and rolled off highs. Overall, his is a lot more refined sounding."

Between my two versions I would say that the one with the all grey passive drivers is the "bass heavy" one. Though in reality, the one with the partially green passive driver has less sound in the low mid-range/upper-bass, as well has a more prominent upper range. Despite this difference I still think they both sound like a K-340. There is something about the soundquality that identifies it.

So hopefully this will encourage others to open up their K-340's and post their findings. My other hope is that at the members going to the national meet will be able to compare their versions and try to decide how many different sound signatures there are (rather than how many minor variations within that sound signature there are) and clear up this mystery finally.

-Nick

Apr 16, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 64
I also felt I should add this in case others would like to post their specs as well:
Electrostat:
Dynamic Drivers:
Dynamic Drivers Center:
Dampening Material:
Crossover PCB:
Headband:

Sleipnir 1
Electrostat:Silver
Dynamic Drivers: Grey
Dynamic Drivers Center: Grey
Dampening Material: white cotton
Crossover PCB: flat, glued transformer
Headband: lettered

Sleipnir 2
Electrostat:Gold
Dynamic Drivers Center: Green
Dampening Material: multicolored cotton
Crossover PCB: yellow screwed transformer
Headband: non-lettered

SonicDawg:
Electrostat:Silver
Dynamic Drivers: Black
Dynamic Drivers Center: Black
Dampening Material: white cotton
Crossover PCB: flat, glued
Headband: lettered

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 64
All right, mine is the bass light version and I have:
Electrostat: Silver
Dynamic Drivers: Black
Dampening Material: White cotton
Crossover PCB: The unknown transformer with the black plastic-like surround material (for reference, pic of "Larry" on the left driver assembly)
Headband: Lettered

Mods: Only thing so far is I have removed the cotton damping.

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 64
I didn't understand one thing. from the 5 pictures yo have posted, only the first 3 are stock, right?

I had 2 pairs (both unmodded), Sleipnir 1 and Sleipnir 2. I currently only own the first, and me and my friend found it to have less punch in the bass, yet more details and clarity in the mid-high to high frequencies.

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 64
As far as I know all of them are stock, and the bottom picture Larry posted to help some DIYers so I can't vouch for that one. I know mine is, and I know SonicDawg's is because he posted earlier today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88
I currently only own the first, and me and my friend found it to have less punch in the bass, yet more details and clarity in the mid-high to high frequencies.

Thats seems to go along with what I found. I don't know about the puch though. I can't really comment since the pads on the two were different and I was having trouble getting a good fit/seal.

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 64
so if there are 4 versions, it means I have 2 more to buy!
mad.gif

I want to get mine modded, so I first of all search for the one best suiting me. How can I tell the last two (besides larry's) from the outside? As when buying I dont always have the possibility of openning them up.

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 64
Bah, double post.

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 64
I don't know how many versions there are. Judging from the transformer, 3 at least. Less if you plan to bypass it. And, unfortunately there is no way to tell what is inside by looking at the headphone. They all look the same except for the headband. Anyway the differences are minor enough that if you get the bass heavy one, you could tweak it all you wanted until you got the sound you were looking for

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 64
Thanks a lot, very informative indeed! Well, AFAIK, all of the differences can be leveled with the cotton mod.

Apr 16, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 64
Thanks for you pics and the spurt of abition to type this.

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 64
I'll post pics of mine in a new thread or something. Feel free to add them to that bunch up there. Here's what I have:

Electrostat: Silver (But it seems black to me)
Dynamic Drivers: Grey (But it seems black to me)
Crossover PCB: Flat, glued transformer (?)

Note: I am not color blind.

Apr 19, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 64
Cool thread, I should try to take some pics of the innards on my current pair some time.

Oh, and TAKE OUT THE COTTON!!!
340smile.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 64
Electrostat: Silver
Crossover PCB: Raised transformer, brown PCB

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 64
It seems that I have a unique version. It doesn't match to the other versions on the above.

Electrostat: Gold
Crossover PCB: Transformer under black plastic, brown PCB,
Headband: No letter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back