JVC RX700 vs Sennheiser HD202 - which is best?
Feb 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 9
JVC is very highly regarded around here.  It can be easily modded, but has a very fun sound right out of the box.  Most notably a very boomy low end.  For $35 USD cannot be beaten for the price.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
JVC is very highly regarded around here.  It can be easily modded, but has a very fun sound right out of the box.  Most notably a very boomy low end.  For $35 USD cannot be beaten for the price.

I've read that the JVC's are a bit airy for closed cans because of the ring opening on the back - is this your experience?

A little bit of openess would be a bonus for me but the only thing that puts me off is that they are supposed to be huge and I have a pretty small head!

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 9
The HARX700 is a pretty great buy for the price. It sounds nice and is extremely open to modding. The HD202, on the other hand, while a solid performer, lacks any standout sound in the price range.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 9
I haven't heard the HD202 so no comment there.

I have had the RX700 for over a year and half and it is really a very fun can for most uses. I have much better stuff now like Beyer's DT880/990, Fischer's FA-002 and a couple others, but the HA-RX700 still gets some head-time surprisingly enough. In my experience it is very good for things like classical, soft rock or psychedelic music like Pink Floyd etc. It is a great sound-stage and generally very good sq if your music is properly mastered. It doesn't do very well with pop, or metal (well some metal). 

I know the 202s are much smaller and completely closed, while the Rx700 is semi-open (but it leaks like hell!) and it is enormous. If you want to move around with these, then 202 is your only option. If these'll mainly be at home, then you only have to weigh the sound quality and comfort issues. I suspect the RX700s will be more comfy since they have really big pads and a very comfortable head-band system, but the 202 may be decent too.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm sooooo tempted to get the JVC's but their size puts me off. I am only intending to use them at home but I have a pretty small head for a guy and I worry that they will be too big and heavy for me. That fact that they are slightly open as well is a plus for me - would you say they lean more to a closed or open sound?

I'm also wondering how they compare to Grado SR80's?

Does anyone else have direct experience of the JVC's and Senn HD202's?

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 9
They are big, yes, but they're lightweight. Due to being semi-open they do have a certain airiness about the sound, but it's not the same as a fully-open headphone. Compared to the SR80, they have less detail all around, with a "fun" (mid-bassy) sound. They don't exceed the Grado at anything except mid-bass volume, but they certainly beat anything in their price range.

I prefer the 700 over the HD202 for anything but technical listening, but I have better headphones than the HD202 anyways for that.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Vote for the 700, if it's for home listening it should be ok.  It's a very comfortable phone even though its huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back