JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Apr 13, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #286 of 663
Thank you for replying.

I have tried both the FX850 and FX1100 but not at the same time, I like the FX850 because it has the SQ that I want. And when I tried the FX1100 I felt that it has more power or something but then the demo set mmcx cable got some problem that's why I'm thinking if I am getting the FX1100 I would want to get an recable, and I dont like the material for that FX1100 if something sharp touch it it will fur up

Sorry to barge in.. I agree with the cable furring up what disappoints me the most is that I tried to sue the shirt clip for a while and the cable some how is losing connection after that in just a month of use. I guess they didn't use a much more durable cable. Using the shirt clip is NOT RECOMMENDED. It gets the cable a kink and every time you move that cable keeps twisting back and forth finally, "probably" making some or part of the cable inside snap and lose it's connection. I noticed decrease volume on the left driver. Tried to swap it and now the right driver has decreased in volume. I just ordered a linum bax cable hopefully it would be more durable and flexible enough for me as I heard it would be.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #287 of 663
Sorry to barge in.. I agree with the cable furring up what disappoints me the most is that I tried to sue the shirt clip for a while and the cable some how is losing connection after that in just a month of use. I guess they didn't use a much more durable cable. Using the shirt clip is NOT RECOMMENDED. It gets the cable a kink and every time you move that cable keeps twisting back and forth finally, "probably" making some or part of the cable inside snap and lose it's connection. I noticed decrease volume on the left driver. Tried to swap it and now the right driver has decreased in volume. I just ordered a linum bax cable hopefully it would be more durable and flexible enough for me as I heard it would be.

It's alright! Thanks for the tips!

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #288 of 663
Hi guys!

I just received my Linum Bax MMCX cable and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it! The sound is a little more clearer now and because of this the soundstage and imaging now is more apparent. No more congested sound too. The bass now is more controlled, tighter and punchy. Now I'm able to hear it's texture. I honestly don't like the bass of FX1100's stock cable because for me it's a bit muddy or boomy and it somehow overwhelms the detail of the music.

Cheers everyone!

May 15, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #290 of 663
I've owned my pair of JVC HA-FX1200 close to a year now and are really impressed by them. Especially since then I have had the fortune of trying out many other pricier IEMs - Sony XBA series and even multi-driver CIEMs such as the Noble K10u, Fitear MH334&5, JH Roxanne etc.

The FX1200 certainly holds it's own against all the others. Most notably in the low end of things. The texture, detail, timbre and quality of the bass is just phenomenal and are just a class of it's own. Coupled with a very lush, dynamic and forward mid-range, sweet and crisp treble I find myself enjoying these single Dynamic Drivers immensely even when doing direct comparison with flagships that has multiple BA/hybrid drivers. 

Sure some of the others might excel a bit more on other aspects of sound such as detail retrieval, sound separation or having a more neutral and analytical tuning (which is more preference than anything), but the overall quality of sound isn't that far apart and for pure music enjoyment, I find myself reaching for the JVC HA-FX1200 most of the time.

Jazz, Classical, Rock, Country, Pop, EDMs, ... you can throw almost anything at it and they wouldn't disappoint. The only thing I didn't quite find satisfying is live performance but that is more because I have the fortune( or misfortune?) of listening to the Chord Hugo TT + Audeze LCDX combo which has ruined it for me 
tongue.gif

May 15, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #291 of 663

Jazz, Classical, Rock, Country, Pop, EDMs, ... you can throw almost anything at it and they wouldn't disappoint. The only thing I didn't quite find satisfying is live performance but that is more because I have the fortune( or misfortune?) of listening to the Chord Hugo TT + Audeze LCDX combo which has ruined it for me 
tongue.gif

I got the FX850 quite a while ago myself and I agree, they can really take anything you throw at it. I'd imagine the FX11/200 is even better but they are definitely more of a coloured sound.
It doesn't have that speaker experience compared to the BAs though, I find BAs can sound a lot more like my 2.0 speakers in an IEM than a dynamic can - but thats with just what I have anyway lol

Currently looking at the JH Rosies - wonder if they will be a huge improvement over the FX850s !

May 15, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #292 of 663

I got the FX850 quite a while ago myself and I agree, they can really take anything you throw at it. I'd imagine the FX11/200 is even better but they are definitely more of a coloured sound.
It doesn't have that speaker experience compared to the BAs though, I find BAs can sound a lot more like my 2.0 speakers in an IEM than a dynamic can - but thats with just what I have anyway lol

Currently looking at the JH Rosies - wonder if they will be a huge improvement over the FX850s !

Indeed, the FX1200 are as coloured as they come. But in a good way IMO and that really is a matter of preference. For those seeking uncolored sound, look elsewhere. Some find them too bass heavy. The FX850 are excellent, but I find them just a tier lower in direct comparison with the FX1200.

As for speaker quality well, personally IEMs - no matter how good always give me that between your ear sound while speakers will always be subject to the mercy of room acoustics. Kinda apple and oranges to me really.

I do hope I have a chance to try out some of the other JHs in the future. Only got the chance of trying out the JH 13, 16 and Roxanne so far, but the 1964 Adels are tempting... 
evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #293 of 663
  Indeed, the FX1200 are as coloured as they come. But in a good way IMO and that really is a matter of preference. For those seeking uncolored sound, look elsewhere. Some find them too bass heavy. The FX850 are excellent, but I find them just a tier lower in direct comparison with the FX1200.

As for speaker quality well, personally IEMs - no matter how good always give me that between your ear sound while speakers will always be subject to the mercy of room acoustics. Kinda apple and oranges to me really.

I do hope I have a chance to try out some of the other JHs in the future. Only got the chance of trying out the JH 13, 16 and Roxanne so far, but the 1964 Adels are tempting... 
evil_smiley.gif

Oh really? I did not know the 850s were a whole tier below! As much as I like these JVCs I would still think they are really too similar to spend $400+ (Aud) for the 1200 so I've decided to venture to other brands.

At least you've had the chance to try the JHs, I haven't any of them which makes it much more difficult! Really have always admired the Miracles but the JH Rosies seem pretty awesome too, even though it is the lowest of the range!
Haha I totally agree with the speakers vs iems, but it was my way of describing how different the UE and JVC sounds, and I want the next iem to sound completely different as well

Would be very interested to hear the main differences you find between the 850s and 1200s btw - might help others who are considering between them too, as I think there is still a huge price difference

May 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #294 of 663
  Oh really? I did not know the 850s were a whole tier below! As much as I like these JVCs I would still think they are really too similar to spend $400+ (Aud) for the 1200 so I've decided to venture to other brands.

At least you've had the chance to try the JHs, I haven't any of them which makes it much more difficult! Really have always admired the Miracles but the JH Rosies seem pretty awesome too, even though it is the lowest of the range!
Haha I totally agree with the speakers vs iems, but it was my way of describing how different the UE and JVC sounds, and I want the next iem to sound completely different as well

Would be very interested to hear the main differences you find between the 850s and 1200s btw - might help others who are considering between them too, as I think there is still a huge price difference

Since you asked, but I would always encourage everyone to always try the IEMs in person and come to their own conclusion since everyone has vastly different expectations and ways of quantifying sound. A lot of bass to one person might be no bass at all to another (see bassheads). When auditioning the JVC wood series, it's even better if you can give the entire line a go. Though you could probably forgo the 650. They're a complete ripoff for the price.

Alright as for my own personal experience, I have compared both 850 and 1200 side by side on two separate occasion (actually the whole series). On both occasion, I find a few main and, to my ears quite notable differences between the models:

1. Bass Both have great quantities of Bass for IEMs. Even the 750 is no slouch in this but the 1200 can pump out deep, thunderous bass complete with vivid texture and timbre on demand effortlessly coupled with good transient response and decay where the 850s and lower series doesn't reach as deep nor does it impart as much texture or vividness in the low end as the 1200. The 1200 also have a smoother response across this region whereas you might find a rather slight mid-bass hump here, but I think that is more to do with the slightly recessed mids-upper mids which brings out this effect.
  2. Mids 850 are more recessed here than the 1200 which has a more forward, agile, lush and richer mid in comparison.
  3. Upper-mids & Treble The 1200 has a lot more agility in this region which helps in resolution and also a smoother overall response.

Bear in mind that is what I hear when I compare the two, and those are simply the things that stood out for me. The differences might not be as large to everyone else.

P.S. Also, What are they selling $400AUD difference between the two? I'm glad I bought mine outside of Aussie then. They're only $34AUD apart where I bought them!
P.p.s. Oops my bad. $400+ not apart... At least I hope that's what you meant? But yeah, there are plenty of great headphones with that kind of budget. try others, look elsewhere. But my general advice is, don't buy without a demo first.

May 15, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #295 of 663

1. Bass Both have great quantities of Bass for IEMs. Even the 750 is no slouch in this but the 1200 can pump out deep, thunderous bass complete with vivid texture and timbre on demand effortlessly coupled with good transient response and decay where the 850s and lower series doesn't reach as deep nor does it impart as much texture or vividness in the low end as the 1200. The 1200 also have a smoother response across this region whereas you might find a rather slight mid-bass hump here, but I think that is more to do with the slightly recessed mids-upper mids which brings out this effect.
  2. Mids 850 are more recessed here than the 1200 which has a more forward, agile, lush and richer mid in comparison.
  3. Upper-mids & Treble The 1200 has a lot more agility in this region which helps in resolution and also a smoother overall response.

P.S. Also, What are they selling $400AUD difference between the two? I'm glad I bought mine outside of Aussie then. They're only $34AUD apart where I bought them!
P.p.s. Oops my bad. $400+ not apart... At least I hope that's what you meant? But yeah, there are plenty of great headphones with that kind of budget. try others, look elsewhere. But my general advice is, don't buy without a demo first.

Lol yeah $400 is my opportunity cost if I was to get the fx1200s. Difference is about $140 Aud through online sellers, JVC don't officially distribute in AU it's not possible to demo anywhere down under.

I think the one thing I would like improved is treble, and from your impressions it seems like that have done exactly that (subjectively). I'm still very keen on either the Rosie or a custom IEM at this point, and if I totally feel buyers remorse cause they're not much of an improvement on the FX I may just end up with the 1200s!

May 15, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #296 of 663
I would stick with what you could demo really. Since at least you'll go in knowingly. And you can't miss what you haven't heard (
rolleyes.gif
I know I know... that's what he says). I do hope you have access to the customs you wanted to try out? Try them if you do and if they are better and worth your money go for it then. Remember, my "improvement" might be your "barely there".

P.s. Yea Aus is an audiophile desert.

May 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #297 of 663
How does the FX1100 scale with high-output amps?

May 24, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #298 of 663
Not sure what you meant by high-output amp but I've tried them with many amps and DAC/Amps. Corda Rock, Mass Kobo 393, CEntrance M8, iFi iDSD micro, Aurender Flow, Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo TT just to name a few...

Would say that they actually don't really scale that well. Short of some of the best on the list (kobo, Aurender and Hugo TT), the improvement you'll get over them aren't really consistent. Generally a more powerful amp will give it a slightly improved response across the entire frequencies and better transience but it's not a huge day/night thing compared to driving it out of your phone.

May 25, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #299 of 663
Not sure what you meant by high-output amp but I've tried them with many amps and DAC/Amps. Corda Rock, Mass Kobo 393, CEntrance M8, iFi iDSD micro, Aurender Flow, Chord Mojo, Chord Hugo TT just to name a few...

Would say that they actually don't really scale that well. Short of some of the best on the list (kobo, Aurender and Hugo TT), the improvement you'll get over them aren't really consistent. Generally a more powerful amp will give it a slightly improved response across the entire frequencies and better transience but it's not a huge day/night thing compared to driving it out of your phone.

Thanks. What I meant is if they respond well to a powerful amp by not distorting. You've answered my question. Appreciate it.

May 25, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #300 of 663
Thanks. What I meant is if they respond well to a powerful amp by not distorting. You've answered my question. Appreciate it.

Ah if that's the case, no I didn't bother cranking the amp all the way up. They're plenty loud enough without reaching the 12 O'clock mark on most amps but as far as I recall there was no distortion at my preferred listening levels and a little past that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back