JVC marshmallow vs Monoprice 8320 vs Philips 3580 vs Soundmagic ES18 vs Panasonic RP-JJE120E-K
Jul 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
I am quite confused over which phone to buy after reading so many reviews; thats why I am posting a thread here. Joker had stated that Monoprice 8320 was the bang for the buck but currently my local store is short of supply for the model. So should I wait for the monoprice? Also, when compared to the monoprice do the other headphones espically the jvc marshmallow and the soundmagic es18 stand anywhere? I am in search for a phone that sounds clear in the mids as well as has good lows and highs. Not much of a bass fan though but neither do I want to neglect it. Please share your views?

Based on the reviews on the internet, I don't see anyone going wrong with any of the mentioned earbuds.
The Monoprices are certainly good for their price, but the price is very limiting. I can only recommend you them if you want to spend less than $10 (+shipping) on headphones, and have ears that will accept just about anything. I think the JVC Marshmallows use foam tips as a default? And the Phillips are quite small. Either of the two will probably fit better than the large Monoprices.

As for the sound, the Monoprices aren't too bad. If you aren't necessarily a bass person, the sound of the Monoprices probably won't offend you. Intelligibility is closer to the $20+ zone, I think. But really, that's not a huge milestone, either.

In the end, I can't confidently recommend you the Monoprices unless you can buy them in retail or are ordering cables from Monoprice. Even then, you need to have the ears for them, if you will. If you need music flowing into your ears ASAP, I doubt the other in ears would hurt. Just my two cents.

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 30
i just received a second pair of monprice`s 8320,  also got JVC fx40, fx101, fx67, Fx35 and the Phillips 3580  (and a "few" more).

the 8320 just dont fit my ears,  i have used all kind of tips and sizes, and the sound is nothing special. (i am talking about MY exprience, it could be that they dont fit in my ear or for the second time i got a defective unit).

i would rather pay 10 extra bucks and buy a 3580 or a Fx40/101,  no problems with fiting correctly in your ears and the sound very good.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:
i just received a second pair of monprice`s 8320,  also got JVC fx40, fx101, fx67, Fx35 and the Phillips 3580  (and a "few" more).

the 8320 just dont fit my ears,  i have used all kind of tips and sizes, and the sound is nothing special. (i am talking about MY exprience, it could be that they dont fit in my ear or for the second time i got a defective unit).

i would rather pay 10 extra bucks and buy a 3580 or a Fx40/101,  no problems with fiting correctly in your ears and the sound very good.

Precisely why I can't confidently recommend the 8320s.

Also, many buyers (on a tight budget) are looking for warm, full sounding headphones. I personally think the reason why so many people look for overly-bassy headphones is that, the abundance of the bass gives an illusion of 'full'/weighty sound. The Monoprices are quite distant from that. While they are quite revealing and detailed for the price, the emotion and amazement don't really keep up.

I won't say "thin and lifeless", but they don't sound thick or lively at all... and no amount of equalizing will help. They sound perpetually un-thick, if that's even a word. In addition, the sound is kind of dispersed everywhere. In the end, the Monoprices don't do much other than being relatively detailed and relatively neutral sounding... for the price.

Again, if you aren't ordering cables from Monoprice, I can't confidently recommend the 8320s. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 30
i have tried all this tips+ others (not in the picture), and i cant find a perfect fit with those monoprices.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 30
i have tried all this tips+ others (not in the picture), and i cant find a perfect fit with those monoprices.

Whoa! Dude, go for over the ear cans. Not only are they comfortable but also have better sound quality IMO. I was also having many problems concerning the right fit and material until I luckily found a pair of small-sized soundmagic FOAMY tips that mould well into my ears and get quite snuggly fitted. If you haven't tried foamy tips, I think you should at least try a pair.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 30
Based on the reviews on the internet, I don't see anyone going wrong with any of the mentioned earbuds.

I already bought two of the above mentioned pairs, i.e., philips 3580 and panasonic hje120k. Surprisingly, I enjoy the panasonic as much as the philips. But, IMO, the panasonic earphones have a better fit and design, hence, I find myself using them more often. Both, I would agree, are real bangs for the buck and nobody would repent buying these. These earphones get better once you burn them for more than 50-60 hrs, the bass gets more punchy and the mids more crispier with above average instrument separation.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 30
In advance I apologize for this rant. Still I think it's impressive to type this much on an iPhone. Imho the She3570/80/90 (supposedly the same driver and design) needs some getting used to. Haven't reached 100+ hours on mine but they're detailed and crisp.

Agreed. BTW you have an iPhone, its natural that they will sound better with a better audio device. For average mobile phones like xperia neo v(my audio source),they sound average.
:wink:

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:
Whoa! Dude, go for over the ear cans. Not only are they comfortable but also have better sound quality IMO. I was also having many problems concerning the right fit and material until I luckily found a pair of small-sized soundmagic FOAMY tips that mould well into my ears and get quite snuggly fitted. If you haven't tried foamy tips, I think you should at least try a pair.

Yea,  i got a few cans.
L3000.gif

i will try those foams tips, thanks

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #24 of 30
While I like SHE3580 as day to day IEM, to me the sound is too 'empty' and lack that 'oomph' and weight to the whole spectrum, if you are looking for a cheap low cost IEM, my favourite is UE200, I much prefer that than SHE3580

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:
While I like SHE3580 as day to day IEM, to me the sound is too 'empty' and lack that 'oomph' and weight to the whole spectrum, if you are looking for a cheap low cost IEM, my favourite is UE200, I much prefer that than SHE3580

HI Dj,  are you talking about this earphones?

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #26 of 30
A Fiio E6 with Lod on an iPhone will sound like the iPhone should've sounded. It increases the bass but I agree, She 3580 is an iem with a "hollow" midrange. If you can live with the v-shape however, it's awesome. I use it with an iFuzen, still not warm and fuzzy but at least not a hole in the north pole. If you like to listen to your music (as hanging out at head-fi suggests) you could probably look around, decide what kind of music you listen to and find a better fit in a higher price range. The extra $10-20 will get you a headphone with less of a compromise between sound performance and build quality.

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #27 of 30

If UE200 is anything like metro fi 170 it's like a good, quite balanced but bass emphasized headphone, except everything is not so good. I like the overall balance of my metro fi 170 but the bass isn't very extended and everything is a bit harsh and grainy. But enjoyable. Quite good allrounder if you can get them cheap.

Jul 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:
I already bought two of the above mentioned pairs, i.e., philips 3580 and panasonic hje120k. Surprisingly, I enjoy the panasonic as much as the philips. But, IMO, the panasonic earphones have a better fit and design, hence, I find myself using them more often. Both, I would agree, are real bangs for the buck and nobody would repent buying these. These earphones get better once you burn them for more than 50-60 hrs, the bass gets more punchy and the mids more crispier with above average instrument separation.

The HJE120 is the lowest quality Panasonic IEM. If you want more detail, then try the Panasonic RP-HJE355. It is around $15. It has much more detail and less distortion than the HJE120, and is much more efficient(105 db/mw vs 96 db/mw). The panasonic RP-HJE450 has more bass slam but less detail than the HJE355. The JVC HA-FX40 (around $20) has great detail and strong bass, however it highs can be too bright. The HJE355 and HJE450 are ergonomically shaped like the HJE120 is so the fit should be great.

The $7 JVC riptidz sounds much better than the Panasonic RP-HJE120.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #29 of 30
I can only speak about the Monoprice 8320s and the Philips SHE3580s. IMO, they both are BFTB but it's a matter of personal preference, the philips is a really bassy iem. Bassy, not bloated or boomy but tight and controlled but sometimes bleed to the mids and mids are somewhat recessed. On the other hand, the Monoprice is really balanced and can be really punchy if you need them to. I find the philips somewhat sibilant and fatiguing for longer listening periods. The monoprice has a slightly bigger soundstage, maybe because of the large driver and driver housings. I prefer the monoprice simply because, I listen to mainly rock, metal, some acoustics, and electronic genres. Plus, they're cheaper too, only problem is the stock foam tips are really, Meh. So what I did was get the 3580 tips and tada! Problem solved.
etysmile.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 30
After using the She3580(90) for some time. I don't know what to recommend them for. The performance is great, clarity, detail, bass, sparkle. However it's not suited to be the only iem you use, IMO. It's coloured, maybe too much to be enjoyable with all music. Works like a charm for EDM with an E6 or better source than iPhone 4s. Just riddiculous impact and oomph with lots of detail due to the upper midrange boost. But I can't recommend it for everything because of the v-shape. For my taste the mids are too recessed compared to my GR07 (I know, $140 difference..), with some EQing however, I wouldn't have any problem using them as all-rounders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back