JVC marshmallow vs Monoprice 8320 vs Philips 3580 vs Soundmagic ES18 vs Panasonic RP-JJE120E-K
Jun 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

akkib89

New Head-Fier
I am quite confused over which phone to buy after reading so many reviews; thats why I am posting a thread here. Joker had stated that Monoprice 8320 was the bang for the buck but currently my local store is short of supply for the model. So should I wait for the monoprice? Also, when compared to the monoprice do the other headphones espically the jvc marshmallow and the soundmagic es18 stand anywhere? I am in search for a phone that sounds clear in the mids as well as has good lows and highs. Not much of a bass fan though but neither do I want to neglect it. Please share your views?

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:
@some1 : Are the monoprice headphones "too" good when compared to the philips or the soundmagic models, as is being hyped all over the internet?

They are excellent, a diamond in the rough, it may be hype, but its true hype.  If you need something to get you by until you can get some, get the SHE3580s.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 30
Actually all these headphones are very cheap...I won't mind buying one pair for now. Have you tried the marshmallow or soundmagic es18 'coz I think that Marshmallows are more famous than the Philips. Whats your opinion some1?

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
Actually all these headphones are very cheap...I won't mind buying one pair for now. Have you tried the marshmallow or soundmagic es18 'coz I think that Marshmallows are more famous than the Philips. Whats your opinion some1?

Well i only know the 8320's, but the SHE3580 has good rep, but i think they are also cheaper than the others, but i could be wrong, to be honest though at these prices, why not buy whichever pair you fancy, its not like a huge expense or loss if you do not like them.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 30
Well i only know the 8320's, but the SHE3580 has good rep, but i think they are also cheaper than the others, but i could be wrong, to be honest though at these prices, why not buy whichever pair you fancy, its not like a huge expense or loss if you do not like them.

Thanks for the help.....

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

They are excellent, a diamond in the rough, it may be hype, but its true hype.  If you need something to get you by until you can get some, get the SHE3580s.

Hi mates,
Is there any difference between SHE3580s and SHE3580?

Just want to buy two from ebay.de for €13.98.

thanks

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 30
Skip the Marshmallows. If you want a good cheap JVC IEM, then get the Riptidz. In the US it is around $7. If you are willing to spend a bit more, the Panasonic RP-HJE355 and JVC HA-FX40 are both very nice. They are around $20 each in the US. The Panasonic HJE120 is very lacking in bass and has a bit of audible distortion. It is also very low in sensitivity(96 db/mw) The JVC Riptidz is so much better than the HJE120.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 30
I bought Philips SHE3580. Not bad for the price but not great either. I already have Brainwavz Beta and M1 in my collection so was trying to explore these more cheaper phones. Quality of Philips is nice but not much when compared to the above 2 phones.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 30
In advance I apologize for this rant. Still I think it's impressive to type this much on an iPhone. Imho the She3570/80/90 (supposedly the same driver and design) needs some getting used to. Haven't reached 100+ hours on mine but they're detailed and crisp. To start from the bottom the bass is incredibly extended only rolling off below 30Hz and without midbass boost. Not bloated at all. Decent in speed and with just riddiculous sense of impact. They sound like a lower quality GR07 on steroids just lacking in texture and that lovely organic feel that makes drums sound... like drums. The bass is not like most bass enhanced phones because it appears to be linear rather than midbass boosted.

The midrange can feel hollow but that's also a matter of taste, the emphasis is on higher midrange rather than lower, making them sound a bit hollow and cold but still detailed and enjoyable. To my ears they carry some energy in the upper range but distorted guitars sound somewhat edgy and they lack in body compared to something like GR07. Still with good details (keep in mind they're basically worth what you munch on an evening with two movies).

What makes these phones unique imo is the extended treble. They too carry a good deal of details and have sparkle enough for most people except treble heads. There is some sibilance in the upper mid/lower treble range that's revealed by running a few frequency sweeps or listening to sibilant records, still a lot less than my Akg K271 mkII (might be resonance in my ears due to the circumaural design). That should be the cause of some details getting lost to some harshness.

Soundstage and separation are two things I'm not very good at describing but the soundstage is well on par with average iems and separation is good for budget iems.

That's me just reporting what I hear. Comparing to what I know. Comparing them to Beats by Dre Tours (bought cheap used), Heartbeats by Lady Gaga (bought on sale), Bose IE (sale), Meelec M9, Metro fi170, iBuds or other generic iems/earbuds they simply sound a lot more refined. I can appreciate a lot of different signatures so no immediate bias here. But coming from these other phones none of them offer detail threatening that of the Philips'. The bass is deep and refined at the price point and beyond. Like a miniature GR07 that tries a bit too hard. The only harshness, after some listening, is the upper mid/lower treble where some spikes are present.

The overall presentation is bright with a great bass response at the bottom. Sorry for the rant, I just like these phones. Might be of some value that I haven't heard of the others, I can only vouch for the Philips. And oh how I vouch. They're awesome after realising what they are.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 30
Btw, if anything I wrote feels way out of line or completely rubbish, please do tell me. I'm pretty new to this and haven't gotten my thumbs out to do any proper review. Just formulating a few in my mind. I'm by no means an audiophile, just an enthusiast with some kind addiction to put things in my ears.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 30
Btw, if anything I wrote feels way out of line or completely rubbish, please do tell me. I'm pretty new to this and haven't gotten my thumbs out to do any proper review. Just formulating a few in my mind. I'm by no means an audiophile, just an enthusiast with some kind addiction to put things in my ears.

Welcome to the Club...

Take 2 IEMs before going to bed, and you should feel well enough in the morning to go shopping for more.

Just Joking, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back