JVC In Ear vs. Koss KSC 75's? Battle of the ~$10 phones
Feb 5, 2007 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Lech

New Head-Fier
How do these two compare? They've both been around $10 at some point but the Koss are usually more expensive. The JVC are in ear, while the Koss are open clip ons. I'm not sure whether or not I should invest on both of them or if I should keep saving up for some Grados.

Feb 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 21
I've got both. The KSC75's are probabaly technically 'better.' But since they're so different from each other (in-ear/closed vs clip-on/open) it really depends on how you plan to use them.

For the price/performance, I say get 'em both.

Feb 5, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and the Koss do everything better than the mallows.

I have koss 75 and e500 and koss sc75 do everything better than the shure e500. IMHO

Feb 5, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 21
I have both. While the 75s might be better to most here, I find myself using the JVCs more. I like the isolation, lack of sound leakage, and the fit better. That being said, I agree that anyone who frequents head-fi should get both.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 21
Consider them both bought
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you guys tried an amp with the JVC?

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and the Koss do everything better than the mallows.

Everything except be comfortable FOR ME. I much prefer the in-ear style. Like everything else, it's personal choice.

As others have said, they're inexpensive, try both. If you keep hanging around Head-Fi, you'll probably spend much more. For example, I'll probably buy some Vibes, which are far from the most expensive discussed here.

Steve

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 21
i say ksc75's sound better. the marshmallow is nice to have for isolation though.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jssmail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have koss 75 and e500 and koss sc75 do everything better than the shure e500. IMHO

I will give you 5 pairs of 75 for your e500, sound fair?
icon10.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 21
He's just kidding.

I agree beginners should get them both. At $10 each are the best entry level phones for their types and are suitable for different use. The Marshmallows was still my fav in gym. To tell the truth, after trying the E500, I don't see myself saving for any top IEMs since I don't like their 'in my head' kind of sound.

Marshmallows don't benefit from my PA2v2 at all, clearly because of their limited details.

Both of them can be pass on to your non head-fier friend/sibling once you decide to step up too
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 21
I find that an ep-630/cx300 is also noticeably weaker than the KSC-75 in SQ. No question, really: the detail resolution is two removes better. Cheap canalphones aren't entry-level hifi, they're acceptable midfi that fill an important gap for cheap portability.

Among in-ears, you have to move up to something like a Vibe to really give the Koss a run for their money in a sound quality contest. I spent an hour recently A/B testing the trusty KSC against my pre-production Vibes, and though resolution was only about the same, in most other ways (like speed, tonal balance, and strangely even soundstage) the Vibe took the laurels, and my KSC-75 moved to a drawer.

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 21
My only hassle with the KSC-75's is the clips go around the ears making it difficult to wear my sunglasses
cool.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mourges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only hassle with the KSC-75's is the clips go around the ears making it difficult to wear my sunglasses
cool.gif

Good point! I just got my 75's and mod'd them .. I didnt think of sunglasses with these.

*runs out to car to get sunglasses* Its not so bad, my sunglasses just rest on top of the clips, feels fine to me
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back