JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Apr 27, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #841 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior05: I put some steel wool behind drivers as filling (seal with tissue to avoid contact) brought out the topend quite well.

Is it possible that production of the RX700/900 has actually ceased, as it's been months since anywhere worldwide announced new stock?

I saw your post before about your mod. I find it intriguing to say the least. Never heard of using steel wool before. After 80 hours or so, the top end started to come around so I'm going to first try experimenting just with the diffuser. To me it is choking the sound too much.

It is curious why these headphones are so hard to get these days. I guess I was lucky and ordered mine just in time. Shame. I was thinking of buying another pair just to experiment with and use its housing for other drivers. I really like the look of these headphones, find them comfortable and they are well built to. After seeing how they are put together, perhaps JVC was losing (or not making enough) money on them. These headphones are more intricate than Beyers, Senns, Ultrasones, Denons. AKGs Kx01s with their double axis set-up is still the most intricate that I have personally worked on.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #842 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is curious why these headphones are so hard to get these days. I guess I was lucky and ordered mine just in time. Shame. I was thinking of buying another pair just to experiment with and use its housing for other drivers. I really like the look of these headphones, find them comfortable and they are well built to. After seeing how they are put together, perhaps JVC was losing (or not making enough) money on them. These headphones are more intricate than Beyers, Senns, Ultrasones, Denons. AKGs Kx01s with their double axis set-up is still the most intricate that I have personally worked on.

It's also strange that they're still in stock in Japan. Either they aren't as popular there, or the supply problem has to do with exporting it. Or maybe they're just running off their remaining inventory over there.

Worst case is that JVC will discontinue them and then release a similar headphone at a $60-80 price point instead of $35 or something, don't you think?

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #843 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you say the rx700 compares to the AD700? I know it's open vs closed, so that alone might be enough to make them incomparable, but I'm just wondering. Never had an open pair of headphones, and I was (and still am) considering the AD700s as I debated the rx700 import.

I enjoy them both. The AD700 is crisper, clearer, brighter, and airier with a wider soundstage. The RX700 is warmer, more isolating, and much more defined in bass. They compliment each other nicely in terms of being open vs. closed.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #844 of 1,224
Bad news -- Amazon.com just updated the estimated ship time for the rx700/900. It used to be 2-4 weeks, now it's 1-2 months. My order has been in for 23 days and obviously still hasn't shipped. I finally ordered a pair of rx700's from Japan on e-bay, and they should arrive later this week. It was $90 shipped (essentially MSRP + 3-4 day express shipping from Japan). We'll see how they sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #845 of 1,224
I wonder if the JVC "Victor" RX700 from Ebay is actually made in Japan. Unlike JVC RX700 that we normally see in US/CA/Europe store, they are all made in China. Wonder if there will be difference in sound and build if it is as I said above.
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #846 of 1,224
Has anyone tried the rx700 with power metal? Can you hear the single bass notes with these headphones?

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #847 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the JVC "Victor" RX700 from Ebay is actually made in Japan. Unlike JVC RX700 that we normally see in US/CA/Europe store, they are all made in China. Wonder if there will be difference in sound and build if it is as I said above.
icon10.gif

I ordered under the assumption that it would be an identical model to the US version. The outside will be branded differently, but I was hoping that it would be too much added expense for them to actually have different designs or drivers for different markets.

Unless you were implying that I might actually get a higher-quality model? That would be excellent as well!
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #849 of 1,224
Thing with Japanese people is they usually make everything for Japanese domestic market a better quality (build wise) than the export one (not saying the export one is bad, it just Japanese market one is better).
When I research for my Canon camera, I noticed the reviewer has "made in Japan" for his camera and when I got mine, it has "made in China". From the look of it, I can tell the material to be different, mine kinda glossy while the Japan made is matte.
The RX700 that I got doesn't have 1.5m extension cable, so yeah it is different
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #850 of 1,224
My HP-RX700's arrived from Tokyo today. They are Made in China, so I assume they're identical to the export version. Same specs, and I think the same appearance (you tell me!).

Out of the box, I can tell I'm really going to enjoy these headphones. I'm not sure if burn improves the sound or not, but I'm already happy.

I'll have to do a comparison to my only other two headphones (DT 770/80s and Senn 212s) and see how they stack up. I bought from eBay seller joynetcafe, who has rx700s listed for $90 shipped. I paid ~$83 with a 8% ebay coupon.

Shipping was FAST. I paid on 4/22, and the seller had stated it would ship in 2-3 business days. They shipped on 4/27, the 3rd business day. They arrived 48 hours later(!). All in all they arrived on the 5th business day after payment. Faster than I expected coming from Tokyo.

Here are some photos. Do these look just like the HA-RX700s? I think the only difference is the branding on the side and the inclusion of a 1.5m extension cable, as you can see.

IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #851 of 1,224
Aside from the brand "Victor", HP-RX700 instead of HA-RX700 and extension cable and also different packaging, they are identical with my JVC HA-RX700.
Enjoy yours and don't forget to do the felt mod.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #852 of 1,224
Been reading through this thread and it looks like the RX-700 could be my second pair of headphones (Senn HD-850s being my first) to go with a Darkvoice 332. Was considering the ATHM50 or ATH-AD700, but these seem as good if not better for two-and-a-half-times less money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone in the UK, it looks like you can get them through Currys Partmaster: Currys partmaster.co.uk - JVC HARX700 High-Grade Headphones for Jvc Harx700 - Spares, Spare Parts & Accessories

OK, this price for the RX700 is a third less than what I was going to pay off ebay, still way more than the buy.com bargain price (we aren't going to get that sort of bargain here in the UK), but good enough for me for an impulse buy.

edit I found a 10% off voucher has made them even cheaper! Ordered.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #853 of 1,224
Checked yesterday evening by the way. They are back in stock at Partmaster (UK only though). See the link from me that was quoted in the previous post.

Edit: I was so close to pulling the trigger but I really don't think I need another set of closed headphones right now.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #854 of 1,224
Ericular,

Glad to see you finally have a pair!
smily_headphones1.gif
And if you like them now, just wait until 100 hours of burn in. When I first listened to them I was really disappointed, but they improve incredibly over time. I think you'll find the money well spent. And you may never listen to your DT770s again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, those look just the same as the US version, except for the badge, obviously. I think its funny they include an extension. Thee stock cable is already darn near 11' long! I chopped mine at 4' and threw a neutrik 1/8" end on mine. Too much cable!

Be sure to report how you feel about them after felt mod and burn in.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #855 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ericular,

Glad to see you finally have a pair!
smily_headphones1.gif
And if you like them now, just wait until 100 hours of burn in. When I first listened to them I was really disappointed, but they improve incredibly over time. I think you'll find the money well spent. And you may never listen to your DT770s again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, those look just the same as the US version, except for the badge, obviously. I think its funny they include an extension. Thee stock cable is already darn near 11' long! I chopped mine at 4' and threw a neutrik 1/8" end on mine. Too much cable!

Be sure to report how you feel about them after felt mod and burn in.

Thanks! Straight out of the box the sound wasn't jaw-dropping, but I prefer the overall feel of the sound versus the signature of the DT770s. Plus with burn-in and the felt mod ahead of me, I knew it was only going to get better from here.

So, you'd recommend the felt mod? I knew it was a big hit with the rx900s, but I wasn't sure how it would affect/improve the rx700 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back