JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Apr 27, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #827 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Therk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone here buy some RX700s in the US and ship them to me in New Zealand? I'm willing to pay a little extra for your trouble. Please PM me or email me on therkster@gmail.com

cheers

I don't think there's currently a single pair in stock anywhere in the US. You'll probably have better luck finding someone from Japan to ship to you.

I caved and ordered a pair from Japan. If they ever come back in stock, I'll probably order a pair of rx900's just to see how they differ.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #831 of 1,224
Even at $100, I still think that's a good value for these. I found the Denon D2000 to be only slightly better and the cheapest you can find those is about $220 used, $300 new.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #834 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever since my AD700 stopped working,

That sux!
mad.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #835 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDaRR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sux!
mad.gif

When it happened, I should just have mailed them in to AT (they'd have been covered under warranty) instead of trying to fix them myself. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #836 of 1,224
I took my RX900s apart to recable. I must say, the build of these is fairly intricate and clever and surprising considering the price point. Mine are still apart since I needed to order a smaller wire that would fit through the tiny routing holes. The smallest I had was 26AWG and I have to go to 28 to fit two separate conductors. Honestly, I'm not recabling mine for the main purpose of squeaking out more SQ - though usually it does happen even at this level of 'phone - but I don't like long cables. I like the 900s enough to consider them keepers though I do plan on experimenting installing my Pro750 drivers and see what I hear. Another experiment will be to lengthen the hole of the diffuser to open up the blockage a bit more. Trying to gain a balance of more top end and soundstage. Fun headphones to work on I must say.

lucky - depending on the problem with your ATs, I may be able to help. Drop me a PM if interested.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #837 of 1,224
could this be the first known RX900 re-cable?

Warrior05: I put some steel wool behind drivers as filling (seal with tissue to avoid contact) brought out the topend quite well.

Is it possible that production of the RX700/900 has actually ceased, as it's been months since anywhere worldwide announced new stock?

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #838 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever since my AD700 stopped working, these have been my only home phones. Enjoying them.

How would you say the rx700 compares to the AD700? I know it's open vs closed, so that alone might be enough to make them incomparable, but I'm just wondering. Never had an open pair of headphones, and I was (and still am) considering the AD700s as I debated the rx700 import.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #839 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I'm not recabling mine for the main purpose of squeaking out more SQ - though usually it does happen even at this level of 'phone - but I don't like long cables.

Is there a reason that you don't just clip the existing cable and terminate it with a plug?

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another experiment will be to lengthen the hole of the diffuser to open up the blockage a bit more. Trying to gain a balance of more top end and soundstage. Fun headphones to work on I must say.

'scuse my ignorance. What's a diffuser?

And please post your results. I'm game to modding mine further.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #840 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a reason that you don't just clip the existing cable and terminate it with a plug?

I'm not a fan of OEM cables so whenever I can, I replace them. All of my headphones that I own, except for my RS-1s, I have recabled. It offers both a bump in SQ as well as creating custom lengths. I also hate dealing with lacquered conductors that you find in OEM cables.

Quote:

'scuse my ignorance. What's a diffuser?

It is the piece of plastic JVC installed over the holes that the driver sits behind. The holes of the diffuser are a bit offset from those on the housing which reduces their size. I believe the thought is to try and "throw" the sound around a bit, providing a sense of soundstage. When I put mine back together I am first going to leave it off.

Quote:

And please post your results. I'm game to modding mine further.

I certainly will post back if I notice any bump in SQ from the recabling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back