JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #691 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean like this? :p

Done with Canare StarQuad Cables and tune with Aodea Deadening Sheet from Japan

And so....how do they sound?
L3000.gif

I found this guy's thread on another forum and this is what he said:
Quote:

I have no idea about how Dynamat in RX700 will sound like.

Modded RX700 sound much more refine and detailed than stock. the soundstage is slightly bigger and deeper.

I do lost the enjoyable factor from the stock sound as the overall sound more analytical but adding a 75ohm adapter in the chain smoothen the sound alot and making it a joy to listen again.

I'll try out 200ohm adapter when I have the time again

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #692 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by WC Annihilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this guy's thread on another forum and this is what he said:

Much more burn in and now running the RX700 from GS Novo, I have to say it very good phone for the price range. Now there isn't a need to use the 75ohm adapter. The canare cable add much more details to rx700. I wanted to drill some holes on rx700 at first but after some testing with and without the headband, I figure the different won't be big.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #696 of 1,224
After having the RX700 and RX900 for quite a while, I prefer the RX700 pads rather then the RX900 because they, after a long listening session, don't feel clammy and sweaty like the RX900. To each his own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda` /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the RX700s. How do you clean the ear pads on the headphones?

I've been using the RX700 almost exclusively for about a month and don't see a reason to clean the pads. If you really need to though, I suppose you could tug the pad off from the cans (don't worry, you can easily put it back on.) and try cleaning the pads individually from there.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #697 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having the RX700 and RX900 for quite a while, I prefer the RX700 pads rather then the RX900 because they, after a long listening session, don't feel clammy and sweaty like the RX900. To each his own.

I've been using the RX700 almost exclusively for about a month and don't see a reason to clean the pads. If you really need to though, I suppose you could tug the pad off from the cans (don't worry, you can easily put it back on.) and try cleaning the pads individually from there.

The ear pads seem to be really greasy and I don't like the feeling of it. How would you clean them? Hand wash them, laundry, etc..

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #698 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're the same item. JVC = Victor Company of Japan, Ltd. and the HP-RX900/700 = the HA-RX900/700 here.

The HPs are $100 on Audio-Cubes though O.O

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #700 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to JVC USA's site, the HA-RX900 should retail at $99.95 while the RX700 should be $59.95. I think the ~$100 pricetag for them overseas is just retail pricing & exchange rates.

Very fair price for the RX700 imo. RX900, not so much, lol.

But I haven't heard them fully burned-in yet.

Very much prefer RX700 though.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #702 of 1,224
I just used Clorox wipes and then dry them with a paper towel for pleather pads.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #704 of 1,224
^Yup. They're very different headphones so its a difficult comparison. The AD700 has better mids, highs, soundstage, and speed, but it sounds a bit too spaced out, light and airy for my taste and the bass is a bit weak, although high quality. The RX900 is much more full and impactful, with way better, deeper bass. But its echoey and resonant, which don't quite set right with me, no matter what I do to it. But some people like this and claim it seems like more of a "concert hall" experience. I think this one comes down to preference.

I do, however, prefer the RX700 to the RX900 and therefore I see the RX700 as the clear winner over the AD700. But some will dispute that. The AD700 is very well loved on Head-Fi.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #705 of 1,224
I generally agree with what Rex81 says about the ad700 and rx900, but to add my 2 cents:

The ad700 is more detailed, but the rx900 sounds more full. That's probably a function of the former being open, and the latter semi-open. The bass resonance of the rx900 needs to be tamed by some simple mods to dampen the cups.

Both are very comfortable, with the nod to the ad700 with the cloth pads, though the rx900 pads are very plush and non-sweaty. Both make great movie 'phones due to the wide soundstage, with the edge again to the ad700. I assume they'd both be good for gaming, but I'm no gamer. Both are about equally easy to drive--even though the rx700 has a higher impedance, it also has a higher sensitivity than the ad700. They can both drive portables, but I wouldn't walk around with them in public. These are big phones, and the ad700s look like giant magenta earmuffs.

Overall, I prefer the ad700s, but if I were a basshead, I'd take the rx900. Both are outstanding values at currently available prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back