JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Feb 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #331 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Badger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockboxing? do continue kind sir...also I compiled a checklist:
[x] Ipod
[x] headphones
[ ] ears
Is that an issue?

Hmmm...I'll have to ask for the experts' opinions on this one, but I feel it possesses a distinct possibility of posing a problem, yes.

Seriously, though. The only other thing you could really do without spending much money is probably to get a Fiio or something similar. Other than that, there's really not much you can do. Still, is you're really interested in getting 100% out of the cans, I'd ask someone who knows more than me, just in case.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #332 of 1,224
has it been brought up that the packaging of the HA-RX700 says that it has a 50mm driver and not 40mm like the OP says?

also the pads on the 700s are quite disappointing, i dont think these will last me that long. Are the 900's leather?

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #334 of 1,224
after about 50 hour of burn-in and couple of days of listening, i dont think the sound on my RX700 will too change much. listening to these, i can clearly agree with many previous posters that these are warm headphones and definitely not for someone looking for treble. the treble isnt too bad, just doesnt have enough presence and high extension. at first the bass felt weak and wasn't too great, but after burn-in it has some decent bass. bass still isnt something that can compare to the ath-esw9. the mids has gotten better, it is more forward and have a more musical sound compared to out of the box. something i've also noticed that on some songs, the 700 seems to have difficulty with separation. the sound gets sort of congested. hopefully this might clear up with some markl mod. only mod ive done so far is the felt since the dynamats arent here yet. still for $35, these are great headphones. now if only these things werent so heavy.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #335 of 1,224
The cup on the 700s are really too shallow. My ears start to hurt after 2 hours or so of continuous wear. Anyone find a good mod or replacement pads for this issue? It's my only gripe with these otherwise great $35 phones.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #336 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cup on the 700s are really too shallow. My ears start to hurt after 2 hours or so of continuous wear. Anyone find a good mod or replacement pads for this issue? It's my only gripe with these otherwise great $35 phones.

have you tried stuffing the pads to get some distance? i havent tried this yet, but probably will this weekend when i have more time to go to a crafts store

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #337 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you tried stuffing the pads to get some distance? i havent tried this yet, but probably will this weekend when i have more time to go to a crafts store

nope. I'm still new to all things headphones so modding is out of my confidence range, even on these cheapo headphones. But let me know how that works, I'm certainly game to give it a shot
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #338 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank828 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also the pads on the 700s are quite disappointing, i dont think these will last me that long. Are the 900's leather?

No. fake leather
Quote:

after about 50 hour of burn-in and couple of days of listening, i dont think the sound on my RX700 will too change much.

Give it about 50hrs more
Quote:

listening to these, i can clearly agree with many previous posters that these are warm headphones and definitely not for someone looking for treble. the treble isnt too bad, just doesnt have enough presence and high extension.

Wait until you hear the 900's

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #339 of 1,224
Quote:

Some foam under the pads works well
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope. I'm still new to all things headphones so modding is out of my confidence range, even on these cheapo headphones. But let me know how that works, I'm certainly game to give it a shot
biggrin.gif

Removing the felt is one of the easiest mods to do.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #340 of 1,224
This time i am sure that the sound of rx900 depend alot on amp,2 weeks ago i have been burning-in my new amp "audio gd C-2C",for my surprise the rx900 doesnt sound dark at all.
The audio gd amp took the rx900 to a new level,its sound very airy,transparent,liquid and very detailed,the trebel is sparkling & energetic.
I am very impressed about how well the rx900 can scale with a good amp.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #341 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait until you hear the 900's

no worries, i will be haha. i picked up pair of 900 for lil sister (she is more bass head than me O_O). also got it to do some modding, hands been kinda itching haha

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #342 of 1,224
Quote:

i picked up pair of 900 for lil sister (she is more bass head than me O_O).

She'll love them.

I find that wearing the phones alittle bit more toward the back of the head,help the highs some. Maybe thinner pads will help?

the 900's sounds decent,when playing 1940s victor recordings.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #343 of 1,224
Got my 700 and 900 today. I was too tempted by the low price, so I decided to get both and compare. I'm trying to keep my expectations in line with the price but this thread keeps pushing them higher. You guys sure seem to like them. I hope it doesn't turn out that you've all been tricked into liking them more than you should because of their "value". Its like the opposite of the hi-fi freak justifying how good his phones are just to placate his wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Out of the box they sound only slightly better than their price. I was impressed with their look, feel, and build quality. They certainly appear more expensive. The 900 feels so good on. Very nice. But the sound is very far from balanced on both. Stuffy, low rent sound. Certainly not the quality of sound to even touch some of the mid range headphones from Senn, AT, and Beyer. But again, I must remember their price.

Don't worry, I'm burning them in now. I'll continue for five days as recommended. And I'll probably start modding them too. I see they have potential. The 900's bass is really impressive, and the 700 has a certain presence to it that I think I like. I really do hope they turn out well. I'd love to have them work out, they're just so comfy. And cheap!

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #344 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my 700 and 900 today. I was too tempted by the low price, so I decided to get both and compare. I'm trying to keep my expectations in line with the price but this thread keeps pushing them higher. You guys sure seem to like them. I hope it doesn't turn out that you've all been tricked into liking them more than you should because of their "value". Its like the opposite of the hi-fi freak justifying how good his phones are just to placate his wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Out of the box they sound only slightly better than their price. I was impressed with their look, feel, and build quality. They certainly appear more expensive. The 900 feels so good on. Very nice. But the sound is very far from balanced on both. Stuffy, low rent sound. Certainly not the quality of sound to even touch some of the mid range headphones from Senn, AT, and Beyer. But again, I must remember their price.

Don't worry, I'm burning them in now. I'll continue for five days as recommended. And I'll probably start modding them too. I see they have potential. The 900's bass is really impressive, and the 700 has a certain presence to it that I think I like. I really do hope they turn out well. I'd love to have them work out, they're just so comfy. And cheap!

I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts, especially in comparison to the AD700 you have. I'm curious about these phones due to this thread, and would like to see how they stack up to some of the more known phones here.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #345 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Just purchased the ad700, sent them back due to lack of bass i was looking for.

Granted i did not burn them in longer than 20hours, but i think the bass would not be there that i am looking for.

Can not wait to hear your thoughts.

Hey if i were to setup up to the 200.00 range in headphones. Maybe i will grab the ad700 again for games & either the harx700 or 900 for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back