JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Oct 30, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #91 of 1,224
How are these JVC's with sibilance?

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #92 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serious FOTM warning on these two cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

these are the best ever fotm headphones ever. seriously -i've tried several new and trendy cans (rp-21 crapola ftw!), but these are the real deal

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #93 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mini 3 and the 900 would be fun. big bass and sound stage for sure. the mini 3 thumps and the 900 will hit pretty hard with it. you will like how the different voices and instruments are separated. pretty cool.

I'm currently using q-jays iems and modded Koss KSC75. I like them both, for different reasons (relatively flat frequency response and accuracy from the jays and the general dang fun-ness of the ksc75). But what they both lack is a soundstage, so I'm pretty interested in the 900.

I like bass (providing there's more punch than bloat) as much as the next person, but, to my ears, I find that much of the music gets left behind if the mids and trebles are lacking. (I'm not exactly a bass head, but what's the equivalent at the other end of the spectrum, a bass clef?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Would a mini^3-amped 900 overemphasize the bass, at the expense of all other frequencies? Or would it give a u-shaped response curve and neglect the mids?

And just to make sure I'm getting the complete picture, the 900 are better for all-around music listening, while the aggressiveness of the 700 make them better for rock, right? I don't want to eliminate the 700 out of hand; they've gotten so many good reviews.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #94 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are these JVC's with sibilance?

Good question. I'd like to know this too.

I found the JVC/Victor HP-M1000, which has been highly praised around here, too bright and a little too sibilant for me to keep using.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #95 of 1,224
Noone yet, as far as I can tell, has mentioned whether these things are actually giant killers. Are they better all around cans than say D2000s, ATH-A900s, HD650s, or HFI-780s? Anybody?

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #96 of 1,224
The brightness seems to improve with amping. My 900 and 700 appear to smooth out compared to just using the x-fi. Less fatiguing. I can wear the 900s for hours no problem. Bass is controlled. I think it can come over the top just a bit with certain songs but not very often.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #97 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by peteham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noone yet, as far as I can tell, has mentioned whether these things are actually giant killers. Are they better all around cans than say D2000s, ATH-A900s, HD650s, or HFI-780s? Anybody?

The JVCs are giant killers for those who enjoy them instead of buying those higher priced cans.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #98 of 1,224
The reason for this thread is to ask others whom have higher end headphones to please chime in. I only have my memories of high end cans to compare to and that is not enough.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #99 of 1,224
I used to have ath a900 some time ago and i sold them because of there poor mids.
The RX900 are better overall sounding than A900.the RX900 has very pleasant presentation.
The bass is detailed & punchy with good impact,not boomy at all but it doenst go very deep.
the mids are clear and smooth which sounds very good with male and female vocals.
Highs are slightly more laid back compared to the rest of the frequencies and it doesnt has any sibilance,cymbals sound very realistic.
Soundstage is very airy and open with good depth, and you can tell the positions & distance of instruments easily and manytimes it feels that the sound comes from the outside.
the detail level is very good and now I can hear to small details that before i coudln't hear with A900 and SR225.

this how the RX900 sound after 40hrs.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #100 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have ath a900 some time ago and i sold them because of there poor mids.
The RX900 are better overall sounding than A900.the RX900 has very pleasant presentation.
The bass is detailed & punchy with good impact,not boomy at all but it doenst go very deep.
the mids are clear and smooth which sounds very good with male and female vocals.
Highs are slightly more laid back compared to the rest of the frequencies and it doesnt has any sibilance,cymbals sound very realistic.
Soundstage is very airy and open with good depth, and you can tell the positions & distance of instruments easily and manytimes it feels that the sound comes from the outside.
the detail level is very good and now I can hear to small details that before i coudln't hear with A900 and SR225.

Great review Kirimaru! I'm so looking forward to these headphones now, which genre of music do you think makes the headphones shine best? I Feel like it would be electronica and classical, hopefully they are great all arounders.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #101 of 1,224
i will chime in with some comparisons.
i have-along with the jvc harx700- a sennheiser hd565 (same drivers as 580/600 at 150 ohms-absolutely blows away all other senns i've heard except the simlilar 545/580/600), audio technica ath-a900, goldring dr150. have had many others but these are my 'better' cans on hand. i compared these using an x-fi, fiio mini amp , and an xmod as a simple usb dac.

using a dac :
Sennheiser hd565 - music is flat and detailed, no harshness , not much bass.
w/fiio amp - now we're talking! great highs and detailed tight bass, every drum pedal thump and cymbal snap present and not overpowered. this can needs a little amplification to sound good

Goldring dr150 - music is detailed and lively, nice tight bass thump, not harsh at all. w/fiio amp- a little livelier- doesnt really need an amp

Audio Technica ath-a900 - big sound, bass thump and great highs, sounds good at all volume levels, fantastic seperation of highs and trebles.
w/fiio amp- just more of the above- biiger bass than b4

JVC Harx700 - big sound, a little less so than the ath-a900. large bass thump, not as deep as a900 but more than other cans here. mids are loud and clean, highs show detail but less so than the other cans here
w/fiio -bigger bass- highs come out MUCH better. a little amplification makes this headphone a contender

using an x-fi.
\i use my x-fi for gaming- which is also 90% of my not-at-the-gym headphone use. an x-fi can color the sound in several ways -crystalizer, eq, bass boost, 3d sound, and volume control bass/treble sliders

in games:

Sennheiser hd565 -detailed sound, guns and such sound nice w/o being harsh, bass effects-explosions, etc - are present and tight tho not head rattling

Goldring dr150- detailed sound- some bass, but small soundstage. the really deep bass notes get lost and feel cut off. not really a gamers can but still better than most

Audio Technica ath-a900. a great gaming can- deep deep bass- feel that tank blow up! great highs too- presents great highs and deep bass at the same time with no problems. large sound- great for games

Jvc harx700. also a great gaming can. bass not as deep as the a900 but more of it. a better job on the high-mids where a lot of the weapon sounds are. highs are present. multiple sound sources handled almost as well as the a900. big sound -especially when reaching into the x-fi's bag of sound tricks

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #102 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I end up with a little extra money during the summer, I might pick up some 900's for my folk and electronica needs. They'll compliment the 700's perfectly. Or do you feel the 900's would outperform most other cans <$150 for rock, too?

By the way, my 700's are on their way! I'm so excited! I'm gonna wait until the E5 comes out as far as amps go, though. Better SQ than E3, less hiss than E3, volume control (maybe I can turn it all the way down when not in use to avoid DC spike when plugging in), rechargeable lithium-ion battery, and built-in clip make it sound like an absolute winner for $20.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #103 of 1,224
AudioCubes just added the HP-RX700 and HP-RX900 to their website.

HP-RX700: AudioCubes.com - JVC-Victor HP-RX700 Indoor Stereo Headphones -
HP-RX900: AudioCubes.com - JVC-Victor HP-RX900 Indoor Stereo Headphones -

They're in the "Portable, Casual" section, which is weird. You think these would fit more in the "Audiophile, Hifi" section of the site.

They're also way more expensive than I had hoped. The HP-RX700 cost 99.99 USD while the cost HP-RX900 129.99 USD. Are they still worth that much? Or would one rather get the ATH-A900 or ATH-AD900 if they could afford them?

The reason I ask this is because I can't find another online shop which is willing to export these headphones to this place. Not for a lower price, at least.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #104 of 1,224
I would buy some, but people keep comparing them to the A900, a headphone I very severely disliked. :\

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #105 of 1,224
Having the RX900s for over two weeks, I'd say the soundstage is a little too broad for metal or hard rock, but about perfect for progressive rock and most electronica.

I think it would be interesting to try these with an amp with crossfeed control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back