JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #76 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know the ohms of the HAR-X700's? Also would they work for rap and hip hop well? I'm trying to decide between the HAR-X700 or Koss KSC75 for the kids for Xmas. They have little run of the mill CD & mp3 players so that's the concern about the ohm load.

Thanks,

Ryan

They are 48-Ohm, however I can't say for certain how well they will be driven from CD/MP3 players but my guess is that it will be fine. KSC-75 is a fine choice as well and already has a good reputation on head-fi so that would be the safer choice.

Also to Project 86 heres a link where a user compares the rx-900s to the RP-21, not the exact comparison you wanted but maybe it can help you.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...63/index8.html

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #77 of 1,224
They smoke the equation audio rp-15 or 21. The 21 has more bass of course but the sound stage is tiny tiny.

The X900 sounds better unamped than an unamped 701. However, an amped 701 has better mids and highs of course. The 900 is spectacular in its ability to produce a distinct headstage much like a good speaker sound stage. Everything has its place and sounds come from every part of the cup. Separation, detail and bass are all extraordinary. For the $$? Ridiculous.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #78 of 1,224
Spliff, your head is mine if I find out that these headphones aren't *EXACTLY* as you describe them
wink_face.gif

Unfortunately I won't be getting them for a while; ordered through Buy.com (which proxied over a beachaudio.com sale) shortly before my post in this thread and they sent me an email saying the RX700s were backordered. Guess I'll be waiting a while for my new headphones.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #80 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serious FOTM warning on these two cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #81 of 1,224
FOTM is why I am asking for other opinions. I do not believe they can possibly be as good as I think they are either. Still, it isn't like they are expensive lol.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #82 of 1,224
spacemanspliff, at the beginning of this thread you said you thought the 900s needed to be amped.. Since they're both using the same drivers, does this mean both the 700/900 should really be amped?

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #83 of 1,224
I just got my cmoy with the 2770 burr brown op amps and using batt power for now. I will get an adapter soon.

Both headphones benefit from an amp. Sound is fuller and more controlled. A definite step up but no more than a good solid bump up in terms of dynamics. Fleshing out the form so to speak.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #84 of 1,224
I just ordered the 700 from Amazon. The total came to $34, with free shipping. It says they'll ship on the 30th or the 31st, and I'll get them in the first week of November (too lazy to log back into my email to check the exact dates). I can't wait! I'm also thinking of getting the Fiio E5 when it comes out. Would a Fiio be a good choice for the 700 if I want to retain the HF-1-esque sound, but with more detail, range and clarity?

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #86 of 1,224
Supporting Chinese labor, one step at a time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #87 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the 700 from Amazon. The total came to $34, with free shipping. It says they'll ship on the 30th or the 31st, and I'll get them in the first week of November (too lazy to log back into my email to check the exact dates). I can't wait! I'm also thinking of getting the Fiio E5 when it comes out. Would a Fiio be a good choice for the 700 if I want to retain the HF-1-esque sound, but with more detail, range and clarity?

Not quite as good as an hf-1 in terms of absolut sq maybe but a bigger sound stage with more separation of the instruments and thus detail. The 700 has a more speaker like presentation. I can't say definitely as to what sounds better but just what it reminds me of. The hf-1 and rs-2 are the highest end graod I have heard. I liked both but the presentation was too narrow for me.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #88 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite as good as an hf-1 in terms of absolut sq maybe but a bigger sound stage with more separation of the instruments and thus detail. The 700 has a more speaker like presentation. I can't say definitely as to what sounds better but just what it reminds me of. The hf-1 and rs-2 are the highest end graod I have heard. I liked both but the presentation was too narrow for me.

Sounds perfect. Have you listened to them un-amped from an un-modded source? If so, how did they sound?

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #89 of 1,224
There's been a lot of postings about the sq of the RX700 (all of them favourable), but I'd like to know a bit more about the RX900.
  1. What kind of music would it be suited for?
  2. And, Spacemanspliff, if the sq of the RX900 was altered/improved by the addition of the amp, how did it change?
  3. I'm running a mini^3. How would that match up against either the 700 or the 900?
I'm looking at this as a listener with eclectic tastes (funk, Americana, jazz of pretty much any stripe, world, rock of course, soul) and wondering which of these phones is a good all-arounder that's still fun.
Many thanks in advance.
Mo

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #90 of 1,224
mini 3 and the 900 would be fun. big bass and sound stage for sure. the mini 3 thumps and the 900 will hit pretty hard with it. you will like how the different voices and instruments are separated. pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back