JVC HA-S600B review and pics
Apr 30, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 19
Anyone pulled these apart to see how similar the carbon diaphram or integrated carbon is similar or different from the carbon nanotube driver? I know the HAS400 is 30mm vs the HAS500 & HAS770 at 40mm. I've had amazing luck modifying my 400s. I'd like to experiment with as many of the JVC series carbon drivers as possible.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 19
Bought these yesterday and I have to say I'm not very satisfied with them so far. Sound is VERY muddy and very lacking in clarity, and also, these headphones crackle on some high vocal notes and the sound distorts a lot. The bass is so bloated it eats up most of the midrange in my opinion. Comfort is ok. I use them with my computer (realtek integrated ALC898), Macbook Pro (2011, no idea which soundcard it uses) and Galaxy S4 with no amp.

Before these I had the JVC HA S400 which sounded good but I can't really use because they destroy my ears, Sennheiser HD558, and my modded Sennheiser MX580 earbuds (which I like a lot, I use them for everything). Let me just say that these don't even come close to the amazing clarity of the Sennheiser earbud (let alone the 558, but yeah I wasn't expecting them to even come close to those). I listen to Uplifting Trance, Classical, electronic instrumental, and more rarely some other stuff like vocal trance, indie pop, chiptune, vocaloid, and dubstep.

I listened to some of my favourite Uplifting tracks to test them and for example, in Downfall of a Dynasty by DJ Gard the orchestral breakdown sounds like crap, the chorus can barely be heard and is distorted, the uplifting on the other hand lacks sparkle. In Sawariya by New World Trance the voice sounds really bad, muffled up, and crackles the headphones. In Fantasy by DJ Gard the uplifting part is amazingly detailed and full of stereophonic effects on my Senn but on these it's just a muddied mess. Changing genre, I was listening to Coeur De Pirate and in her "La Petite Mort" the voice crackles like crazy on every high note, it makes me nervous. In my favourite classical CD "Vivaldi - La Stravaganza by Rachel Podger; Arte Dei Suonatori" that I've ripped in FLAC (as opposed to the rest of my collection which is 90% 320kbps MP3) the violin sounds weird and overall the music sounds really boring to me.

By the way, OP said these sounded meh but improved later on with burn-in, how long do you think I should give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for them to improve before I take them back to the store?

Addendum: before I keep bashing them let me say that it might also be a case of me being a bit too used to the bassless ultra clear sound of my earbuds that makes me hear anything with bass like it sounds weird and distorted. Do you think this might be the case?

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #18 of 19
Actually I just noticed something. These aren't the HA-S600 but the HA-S660, the guys at the store probably mixed them up, because I definitely ordered the 600s.

JVC website has this description for 660
  The new JVC HA-S660 is a lightweight, foldable around-the-ear headphone that offers superior bass reproduction and soft memory foam ear pads that provide excellent isolation from background noise. To provide the best possible sound clarity and deep bass reproduction, the HA-S660 employs a bass-boosting port and a carbon compound diaphragm. This design structure ensures that sound pressure in the headphone housing is equalized, which results in superior performance. Performance is further enhanced through the use of a 1.57-inch (40mm) neodymium driver unit. The HA-S660’s around-the-ear design helps to block out background noise while also providing a comfortable fit thanks to the sound-insulating soft memory foam ear pads. With its foldable design, the HA-S660 is easy to pack, while remaining lightweight and comfortable during extended use. Four color variations are available. A 3.94-foot (1.2m) cord with gold-plated iPhone®-compatible slim plug is provided.
  1. Deep bass and high-clarity sound reproduction with carbon diaphragm and new designed bass port
  2. Dynamic sound reproduction with 40mm Neodymium driver unit
  3. Foldable design for ease of portability
  4. Stainless steel headband and sound-insulating soft earpad for superior wearing comfort
  5. 4 color selection

And this description for 600

The new JVC HA-S600 is a lightweight, foldable around-the-ear headphone that offers superior bass reproduction and soft memory foam ear pads that provide excellent isolation from background noise. To provide the best possible sound clarity and deep bass reproduction, the HA-S600 employs a bass-boosting port and a carbon compound diaphragm. This design structure ensures that sound pressure in the headphone housing is equalized, which results in superior performance. Performance is further enhanced through the use of a 1.57-inch (40mm) neodymium driver unit. The HA-S600’s around-the-ear design helps to block out background noise while also providing a comfortable fit thanks to the sound-insulating soft memory foam ear pads. With its foldable design, the HA-S600 is easy to pack, while remaining lightweight and comfortable during extended use. Other features include 3.94-foot (1.2m) cord with gold-plated iPhone®-compatible slim plug.

1. Deep bass and high-clarity sound reproduction with carbon diaphragm and bass-boost port
  2. High-quality sound reproduction with 1.57"(40mm) Neodymium driver unit
  3. Foldable design for ease of portability
  4. Excellent sound isolation achieved with soft memory foam ear pads
  5. 3 color selection

So basically according to the website the only difference should be that the 660 has a "new designed bass port" (WHERE IS IT?), and different looking headband.

But anyway, to update my previous post, I've left them on burning in with pink noise and various tracks and it seems to me the sound improved a little bit already. It's still lacking a lot in voice clarity though, but that's maybe because I was so used to my earbuds, and there is still some crackle on certain tracks for whatever reason.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 19
Sorry to bring a dead thread back to life, but I just picked up a pair of s600 for about 20 CAD on clearance. After about five days or so of near constant play, these things are awesome! I have no idea why they do not have more of a following.

They do have some minor flaws, such as being slightly hollow sounding at times, but the mids are good, treble is nice and detailed, and the bass is strong but not overpowering. Build quality is great (minus a bit of creak on the right pivot, but meh). Isolation has been surprisingly excellent, and they are super comfy.

The cable seems to be identical to the ones on the FX1X, but black. Might be a tad thin for a full-sized portable can, but I know that it is durable. Decent strain reliefs don't hurt any.

Might see about modding these with some inner-foam to smooth out the sound a bit...hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back