JVC HA-RX700 x Grado SR80i x Samson SR850 x Sennheiser 448
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nicolaspiazza

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a HP to use with an unamped iPod. I don't have problems with leakage, portability and comfort, but it must have some isolation because I'll use it a lot on the bus.

After searching for a good time at Head-Fi, I still don't know which HP I must buy.
I listen to death metal, post-punk, darkwave and drones.

I live in Brazil, so I can't test anything. Right now, these are the HP that I found interesting. I'll list the final price with all taxes:

JVC HA-RX700      - $165,00 at amazon
Grado SR80i         - $133,00 This one a guy from Brazil is selling
*Samson SR850     - $117,00 at ebay
*Sennheiser HD448 - $171,00 at acessoryjack

* There's a chance these two doesn't be taxed.

And there's Koss UR-55 too, but I couldn't find much about it.

I know Grado leaks a lot and has no or poor isolation. Is it really that bad, to the point to discard it? It's the easiest one to purchase.

Are there another options?

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
I'm looking for a HP to use with an unamped iPod. I don't have problems with leakage, portability and comfort, but it must have some isolation because I'll use it a lot on the bus.

After searching for a good time at Head-Fi, I still don't know which HP I must buy.
I listen to death metal, post-punk, darkwave and drones.

I live in Brazil, so I can't test anything. Right now, these are the HP that I found interesting. I'll list the final price with all taxes:

JVC HA-RX700      - $165,00 at amazon
Grado SR80i         - $133,00 This one a guy from Brazil is selling
*Samson SR850     - $117,00 at ebay
*Sennheiser HD448 - $171,00 at acessoryjack

* There's a chance these two doesn't be taxed.

I know Grado leaks a lot and has no or poor isolation. Is it really that bad, to the point to discard it?

Are there another options?

Contrary statement there! 
biggrin.gif

Best to leave the SR80i alone, sonically it will be best of the bunch but isolation is clearly of
high importance to you. Yes it does leak but the open back is how it achieves part of it's
magical sound for such a reasonable price.

I'd forget about the Sennheiser HD448 too, it's just not a very good headphone like most
if not all models from Sennheiser until you get to the HD595. Thin, muddy, lacking detail
sound all topped off with mediocre to bad build quality.

Might want to look into these 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Wouldn't say the HD448's are thin and muddy. Nice mids, little lacking in the bass and smooth highs (fwir) but definitely not worth $171. The JVC and Samsons are really overpriced, I'd stay clear from those. If you're going to be using these headphones outdoors as well as indoors, I say go for the Grado SR80i. It leaks a lot and doesn't isolate well but you get great sound quality for when you're indoors and decent sound for when you're outdoors. My experience with full-size headphones is that even those that are said to isolate well don't. If isolation is a must, go for in ear monitors. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Sorry for the contrary statement, but I'm a newbie.
I've tried to buy RP-HTF-600 last week at amazon, but they are out of stock.

Quote:
Contrary statement there! 
biggrin.gif

Best to leave the SR80i alone, sonically it will be best of the bunch but isolation is clearly of
high importance to you. Yes it does leak but the open back is how it achieves part of it's
magical sound for such a reasonable price.

I'd forget about the Sennheiser HD448 too, it's just not a very good headphone like most
if not all models from Sennheiser until you get to the HD595. Thin, muddy, lacking detail
sound all topped off with mediocre to bad build quality.

Might want to look into these 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650

It's frustrating to see a $35 HP costing $165.
And what about the lack of an amp? I've saw some guys saying the SR80i needs to be amped, while others said the contrary.
Are Grado's bass good enough to listen to ambient songs?

Quote:
Wouldn't say the HD448's are thin and muddy. Nice mids, little lacking in the bass and smooth highs (fwir) but definitely not worth $171. The JVC and Samsons are really overpriced, I'd stay clear from those. If you're going to be using these headphones outdoors as well as indoors, I say go for the Grado SR80i. It leaks a lot and doesn't isolate well but you get great sound quality for when you're indoors and decent sound for when you're outdoors. My experience with full-size headphones is that even those that are said to isolate well don't. If isolation is a must, go for in ear monitors. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
It's frustrating to see a $35 HP costing $165.
And what about the lack of an amp? I've saw some guys saying the SR80i needs to be amped, while others said the contrary.
Are Grado's bass good enough to listen to ambient songs?

I can relate to overpricing. 

In my opinion, the headphones in Grado's Prestige series are very easy to drive and can do without an amplifier.
An amplifier will affect the sound you're hearing, especially if you're using a tube amp. If you dont have the budget
for an amplifier, spend all of your money on headphones first.

I'm not sure  what you mean by ambient songs, but Grados' bass generally rolls off really quick, giving you the impression
of a very fast thump instead of a deep slam. The presentation of Grados is very upfront, as in, you'll be hearing them as if
they're right in front of you, lacks soundstage, etc. So they might not be good for ambient/airy music. More suitable for rock,
metal, fast drums and lotsa guitar. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 6
My SR80i does very well out of my iShuffle ~ does not get anymore lowly and humble than that 
wink.gif

They upscale a little bit in terms of bass richness and extension when amped at home though.

Overall a very good headphone and one of the best portable easy to drive options out there
for the rocker who is happy to live with the leakage.

Best way to expand the sound stage is with the optional L-cush bowl pads which can be
sourced for about $15-$20 depending on where you look. They're a direct replacement fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back