JVC HA-RX700 Mods
Feb 20, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #241 of 255
Very impressive list of mods, still wish I had held on to my 700s.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #244 of 255
New cable soldered in, I wasn't expecting such a change in presentation from this thicker lower capacitance cable! Left-right stereo balance was better, gained significant quantity in bass, flattened the midrange and as expected some more zing in the HF.

Detail seemed to have improved also.

2eTauTk

47180325001_599bff0fab_z_d.jpg

40215512493_b749c1803d_z_d.jpg

24gH1M4

Nonetheless, I had to ‘re-voice’ the headphones as it sounded a bit warm n flat for my tastes, removing the alcantara ring I had in the center of the acoustic lens and sealing one of the holes on the driver magnet helped, overall I very happy with the results so far.

Not sure how much further I can take the RX700's, the drivers with stacked magnet mod are decent, however likely still outclassed by headphones that costs hundreds more.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #245 of 255
I needed new earpads and found this thread again.
Still using these cans since 2009.

The only mod I did back then was the was the dampening mod, I don't remember what material I used. I remember it improving the bass response and I was happy to pass of the other mods.

Today I finished up with removing the felt from the acoustic lens, using some polyfill, and replacing the earpads. I did each mod and tested each time to hear how it sounds without an equalizer.
What an improvement from what was already good cans! I should have done these mods 10 years ago!

- Acoustic lens removal: Vocals were defined. Mids and highs are much crisper. The highs may be a bit tinny. I just removed the top part of the felt.
- Polyfill: There was a little reduction in bass but a lot cleaner
- Brainwaves Earpads - Better sound staging and comfy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLKV5LI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I adjusted EQ and these sound incredible. I should have done these mods 10 years ago.

IMG_20190310_111452.jpg IMG_20190310_104522.jpg IMG_20190310_104534.jpg IMG_20190310_104615.jpg IMG_20190310_104439.jpg IMG_20190310_105215.jpg IMG_20190310_104903.jpg

Anyone else still have these headphones?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #246 of 255
Still using mine daily since I put the NVX angled pads on them. MUCH better than the Brainwavs HM5 standard style pads IMHO, though I had trouble getting a good seal with them...they were comfy but getting the best sound was harder. My wife stopped using them...now I may need to buy another pair of RX700's and pads lol!

Even the RX700 stock pads have an angle to them. The NVX + EQ made these something else to my ears. Made me put down my AKG K553 Pro's that I've used primarily and happily for the past 4.5 years. There's still things the AKG's do far better, especially with clear and detailed mids/hi's... but the 700s are so damn comfortable with these pads and the sound is so fun while to my ears improving almost everything...clearly driver aiming/placement is more important with these. These do far more bass than I can tolerate with a bass heavy EQ driven by my old Aune T1 original.

I've been debating doing some of the other mods I haven't in the past 10+ years either. Pretty much the felt mod and pads is all, and again, the NVX pads were totally worth it and made these cans my daily drivers again. I am debating doing the dampening mod...

Glad you're enjoying yours as well! Cheers!

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #247 of 255
When I still had my 700s the NVX pads made a definite improvement.

May 8, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #248 of 255
Detachable cable mod - How To:

Reviving an old thread, hopefully this can aid some help to all of you fellow 700 owners.

Thanks for posting that. I've neglected my RX700s for a few years now. They were my first set of good cans. Been using the M1060, SHP9500 and T40RP for a good long bit. Just threw on the JVCs (I already had the angled pads on them), they're so much fun to listen to. Planning to do the cable mod soon.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #249 of 255
One side of my 700's quit working so after opening the cup I see that the magnet (with the white stripe) has come loose. It's just bouncing around. I pressed it back into place and it's working again but should I glue it back in place? It has what looks like a ring of glue around it... Thanks.

Attachments

• rx700-damp-5.jpg
    rx700-damp-5.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #250 of 255
One side of my 700's quit working so after opening the cup I see that the magnet (with the white stripe) has come loose. It's just bouncing around. I pressed it back into place and it's working again but should I glue it back in place? It has what looks like a ring of glue around it... Thanks.

That's what I would do.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #251 of 255
Just broke my second pair of these. The swivel part that joins the cups to the headband snaps on the inside. It's plastic and glueing it doesn't last long.

Has anyone found a good way to repair them?

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #252 of 255
Just broke my second pair of these. The swivel part that joins the cups to the headband snaps on the inside. It's plastic and glueing it doesn't last long.

Has anyone found a good way to repair them?

Can you provide some pictures? I often wondered if/when my 700's may break, but so far, so good. I wonder if you could modify the hinge/joint area with a bolt/nut solution with a dremel?

I'll dig my 700's out. I've been using my AKG K553's and some KZ iem's as of late. The 700's have been taking a break.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #253 of 255
It has a T shaped part that is attached to the ear cups. It slides through a hole in the head band and is retained with a C-clip that slides in from then back/inner side. The T-shaped part cracks then the earcups bend outwards. After my first set broke I glued them and it lasted a short while. The second set I bought I immediately lubed with silicone spray and they lasted 4 years instead of 2 but I'm sure I already glued them on one side a while ago.

If you don't glue the part in the perfect position it won't fit back in the receiver/hole, it's a snug fit.

To repair the right side ear cup you have to dismantle the left side to get slack in the cable. Annoying!

The plastic is really quite thin because there is a metal tube through the centre carrying the cable.

c6ut5r6.jpg

The C clip is on the left side, it's supposed to be invisible from the front

Abos9mT.jpg

gCTAMDq.jpg

lUf0zDT.jpg

HqOhEwj.jpg

oGBspIh.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #254 of 255
Oooph. Ya I'm not sure what a person could do there... maybe with a tiny application of epoxy might hold for a while. Or if you were good with 3D printing and replacing that part.

What kind of glue did you try?

I'd do epoxy and a toothpick and a very careful application. I can't believe between my wife, kids, and I, I haven't broken that part on my pair...but I may tear down and inspect and see if its cracking to try and prevent this separation from happening.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I wish I was more help to you.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #255 of 255
Oooph. Ya I'm not sure what a person could do there... maybe with a tiny application of epoxy might hold for a while. Or if you were good with 3D printing and replacing that part.

What kind of glue did you try?

I'd do epoxy and a toothpick and a very careful application. I can't believe between my wife, kids, and I, I haven't broken that part on my pair...but I may tear down and inspect and see if its cracking to try and prevent this separation from happening.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I wish I was more help to you.
Yep, I used 2-part epoxy to fix it previously, it's just not as strong as the original part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back