JVC HA-RX700 Mods
Aug 12, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the foam left over from hard drive packaging I bought way back in 2000, I would think anything similar would work... perhaps not styrafoam peanuts. You could in fact remove the ear pads and stuff them with cotton wool (or similar) from the back, I'm pretty sure there open like that. The idea really is just to thicken them up setting the speaker driver back a little.

Thanks for the info. I had some foam like that four or five years ago, a crapload of it, but it disappeared (most of it was probably tossed; it was intended for a homemade guitar case for my doubleneck, but it never happened). I want to say I got it from a small bookstore somewhere, but I can't remember. The styrafoam peanuts worked, but they put it back too far (too stiff).

Fortunately, I was able to do a successful removal of the felt layer. Sounds like it removed a layer of mud. They've got about 10 hours of use on them, so hopefully they'll sound even better by the end of the week. I've got Jaco Pastorius' self-title on my Zune, and it sounds fantastic with these compared to my UHP336's which lack the bass needed for that album. Although the 700's aren't as portable as I would like, I think they're pretty good for my first set of cans. Now if I can just find some good foam, I'll be all set.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 255
Got the foam mod fixed. I used part of my egg-crate blue foam pad. Sounds better, so I'm happy.

I do have one complaint though. There's some albums I have where the vocals sound pushed back really far, like they're fighting with the lead guitar but the guitar is louder. Most notable are Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Rainbow's Rising, and Megadeth's Killing Is My Business (original mix). Is this a feature of the 700's, cans, or is it how these albums are supposed to sound? This is my first set of cans, and they're still getting burned in, so keep that in mind. The vocals sounded like that both with and without the foam and felt, so it can't be a result of a mod.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #18 of 255
bba1973: Sometimes the recording sounds like that. No matter how hard you try to mod your headphone or even buying a $1000+ headphone, it will still sound like that, maybe even worse sometimes.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #19 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bba1973: Sometimes the recording sounds like that. No matter how hard you try to mod your headphone or even buying a $1000+ headphone, it will still sound like that, maybe even worse sometimes.

Issue resolved. I had set the cmoy jumper to high gain since it sounded better before at one point, but returning it to low gain fixed the buried vocals. That made me feel stupid there for a little bit.

Yes, I do realize some recordings are just plain bad (along with some mixes and masterings), but that wasn't the case in this instance.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #21 of 255
Ive just ordered a pair of these and will likely install both of these mods, also interested in the felt mod but I cant seem to find any instructions for it.

Could someone explain what you do for the 'felt mod' and if it really improves the sound?

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalEternal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive just ordered a pair of these and will likely install both of these mods, also interested in the felt mod but I cant seem to find any instructions for it.

Could someone explain what you do for the 'felt mod' and if it really improves the sound?

Thanks!

Search google for "HA-RX900 mod". It's a pretty good sized thread going on here. This felt mod applies to the 700 as well.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 255
Great Thank you, found it.

A couple questions
Do the RX-700's have the acoustic lens as the 900's?, also do you think its wise removing it on the 700's? From what I can gather the 900's are a little bass heavy so removing it brings out the highs and mids but the 700's are a little more high range so maybe leaving it on would be wise?

Also, is there anywhere that you can get that dynama just by the sheet? I dont really want to blow another 40$ on that stuff

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #24 of 255
Quote:

Great Thank you, found it.

A couple questions
Do the RX-700's have the acoustic lens as the 900's?, also do you think its wise removing it on the 700's? From what I can gather the 900's are a little bass heavy so removing it brings out the highs and mids but the 700's are a little more high range so maybe leaving it on would be wise?

Also, is there anywhere that you can get that dynama just by the sheet? I dont really want to blow another 40$ on that stuff

The 700s don't have the plastic acoustic lens, but do have the felt. See how you like them with burn-in before removing the felt, though. Both the 700 and 900 do have recessed highs, and removed the layer of felt really helps out.

There's a company called Elemental Designs that sells sound deadening material by the square foot. Look them up, and you'll find it.

Here is a link to their lowest end deadening material, probably similar to Dynamat original (and only $1/sq ft):

Elemental Designs

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 255
Quote:

Thanks for the info, that stuff looks great, great price, unfortunetly they want 15$ to ship 1sqft of it to canada lol great

Oh, hm. You might be better off buying something else then. Also, sometimes you can find roof sealing products that are basically the same thing as Dynamat as well in home improvement stores (ex: Home Depot). These are called something like "Peel n seal" or "quick roof"...etc. You'll get 15 sq ft for about the same price it would cost to ship to you.

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #27 of 255
Quote:

Originally Posted by hans030390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, hm. You might be better off buying something else then. Also, sometimes you can find roof sealing products that are basically the same thing as Dynamat as well in home improvement stores (ex: Home Depot). These are called something like "Peel n seal" or "quick roof"...etc. You'll get 15 sq ft for about the same price it would cost to ship to you.

Yeah, I used a butyl window flange tape for my 900.

DigitalEternal,

If you don't have any luck finding what we describe, I can offer to send you enough for just shipping cost...maybe $3.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #28 of 255
Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for that offer Greatdane, If I cant find soemthing similar I may have to take you up on it

I cant seem to find peel n seal and any similar products appear to only sell in bulk for 50+ dollars.

That windows flange tape you mentioned, does that go by a different name?

Trying to find something at Home | Canadian Tire that would be similar

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #29 of 255
Quote:

I cant seem to find peel n seal and any similar products appear to only sell in bulk for 50+ dollars.

Just use kitchen draw liner, 3 bucks and does exactly the same thing if not better. I use it everywhere, lined the inside of my PC case and now I no longer hear my hard drives, plus the case no longer vibrates from the sub sitting next too it.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #30 of 255
Yea I might have to unless I can find something made out of butyl in a store.

Man shipping takes the fun out of online shopping, 15 bucks to ship 1square foot which is less then .3lbs, ill send them 75 cents for stamps and they can shove it in an envelope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back