1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

JVC HA-RX700 Mods

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by graphicism, Jul 22, 2009.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last
  1. Graphicism Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    That's just what the kitchen drawer liner made me think of too.

That's exactly why I use it in preference dynamat... Okay so the real reason it's cheap and available within walking distance, but I can't see there being much difference. The idea of the tin was to see if I could bump the mids while controlling the rest of the sound, there in bits right now awaiting a recabling so no real idea if it worked.

2. 1Time
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    That's exactly why I use it in preference dynamat... Okay so the real reason it's cheap and available within walking distance, but I can't see there being much difference. The idea of the tin was to see if I could bump the mids while controlling the rest of the sound, there in bits right now awaiting a recabling so no real idea if it worked.

It should not be hard at all to "see" the main differences between Dynamat Xtreme / Peel N Seal / Tamko versus kitchen draw liner. Those 3 products are better at inhibiting vibrations and reflect / block more sound, while the liner absorbs sound more. They pretty much have opposite effects. And so it makes little sense to equate the two or suggest one could be substituted for the other.

What a find this kitchen drawer liner would be if it could be used in place of Dynamat-like products in car audio with satisfactory results. Of course it makes no sense this could possibly happen because these materials are so dissimilar in what they do. And so for this very reason car audio buffs do not cram acoustic foam inside their car doors and elsewhere in place of Dynamat-like products.

What the liner most has in common with these 3 products is it occupies space within the cup, reduces air volume, and consequently affects sound.

Now whether the use of one, the other, or both of these type of materials produces desired results is a separate matter. For example, some very well may mod their RX700 with the liner and prefer its sound to another RX700 that's modded with other materials. I suspect kitchen drawer liner will prove to be a useful find with regard to audio applications. I already plan on using it inside of my PC, and I will be trying to mod some headphones with it. Thanks again.

3. DigitalEternal
    I really wish I could find that tape or something similar here, your probably right it would result in a truer sound, the liner may absorb something you dont want it to

4. 454Casull
    What's the thickness of that foam? Looks like it might be 3/8", but I'd like to confirm.

5. Graphicism Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 454Casull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    What's the thickness of that foam? Looks like it might be 3/8", but I'd like to confirm.

Yeah I'd say 3/8" is about right... now that it's been in a while it's become flattened over time, still works perfectly however. I'd say put as thick as will fit in there, can't hurt.

6. DigitalEternal
    Well after a long wait Ive finally got my RX700's and I must say they sound great.

Im not sure if they are all like this but these ones dont have the felt covering the entire driver, its only a ring around it and the center is open, ill wait till after they burn in a bit before i pull it off but honestly the mids and high's sound great right no so I may not need to touch that.

I think ill thicken up the padding just a touch, maybe 1-2mm, my ears just barely touch the inside, another 1 or 2 mm will be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, definetly a great set of phones

7. 454Casull
    It shouldn't matter if the foam is open-cell or closed-cell, right?

8. hans030390
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalEternal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well after a long wait Ive finally got my RX700's and I must say they sound great.

Im not sure if they are all like this but these ones dont have the felt covering the entire driver, its only a ring around it and the center is open, ill wait till after they burn in a bit before i pull it off but honestly the mids and high's sound great right no so I may not need to touch that.

I think ill thicken up the padding just a touch, maybe 1-2mm, my ears just barely touch the inside, another 1 or 2 mm will be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, definetly a great set of phones

That's how the felt is for every HA-RX700. If you burn them in and like how they sound, I wouldn't worry TOO much about modding them. IMO, it makes them sound better, but maybe not to everyone.

9. jant71
    My mods are K401 pads mounted with double-sided mounting tape and adding impedance. I use a P->S 75 ohms. Others may use 120 ohms or another value.

As in my pic here with their little brother. What's cool is that the pads are such a perfect match for both the color of the cups and the fabric of the headband.
    [​IMG]

So now the sound is quite true, very transparent, and detailed. The pads absorb resonance well and give distance from the drivers. The added impedance further tightens, refines the sound, and adds transparency. Very balanced sound, more open and airy. Really needs an amp with the added impedance but still works pretty well out of a strong enough portable. Of course they are essentially open cans now. Felt ring is in tact.

10. Graphicism Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalEternal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well thats new... I'd just leave it on, obviously they decided it wasn't necessary and took the extra step to go about changing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 454Casull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    It shouldn't matter if the foam is open-cell or closed-cell, right?

Sound-wise no I shouldn't think so, but open-cell will obviously add a lot more cushion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    My mods are K401 pads mounted with double-sided mounting tape and adding impedance. I use a P->S 75 ohms. Others may use 120 ohms or another value.

While I don't like the idea of attaching the headphone pads with mounting tape I'll admit they look pretty comfy and seem like they'd work well. Could you explain or perhaps send me to a page on adding independence, it sounds quite promising.

11. hans030390
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well thats new... I'd just leave it on, obviously they decided it wasn't necessary and took the extra step to go about changing it.

The felt ring is not new. They don't cover the "center" of the driver, and it's always been this way.

12. 2.5LGT
    just ordered one, can't wait. First pair of real headphones [​IMG]

It was the jvc HA-RX600 or the sennhiser HD202. After reading the forums i went with these.

How is the noise isolation?

13. RallyMaster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.5LGT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    just ordered one, can't wait. First pair of real headphones [​IMG]

It was the jvc HA-RX600 or the sennhiser HD202. After reading the forums i went with these.

How is the noise isolation?

Noise isolation is okay but it's not even close to what my Westone UM1 can provide. I wouldn't use the RX700/900 in high noise environments such as on an airplane (tried it once, not doing it again).

Sidenote: Subaru driver?

14. 2.5LGT
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Noise isolation is okay but it's not even close to what my Westone UM1 can provide. I wouldn't use the RX700/900 in high noise environments such as on an airplane (tried it once, not doing it again).

Sidenote: Subaru driver?

yup, what gave it away lol [​IMG]

the rx700 will be for the dorm room and hopefully i can decide on a IEM for under 100.

15. RallyMaster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.5LGT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    yup, what gave it away lol [​IMG]

the rx700 will be for the dorm room and hopefully i can decide on a IEM for under 100.

Well, the 2.5LGT usually means Legacy 2.5GT. Now the next question is...BL or BP? Or are you a BE/BH owner?

<- drives a BH

RX700 should go well for the dorm room because they're pretty noisy. I had them pretty much the whole time last year and can vouch for their noise isolating abilities in such an environment. There are multiple threads for IEMs under $100 and I guess in the end it all depends on your music taste and how much isolation you want.

First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last