JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Nov 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3,196 of 3,271
  Hey,

I`ve had the 200 for a couple of years now and always come back to them.  I love them.  After getting the se846 a year ago, they got relegated to running and gym, but I`ve recently rediscovered them and after a lot of A-Bing with the 846, I have to face the fact that I prefer the (1/6th price) JVC.  In fact, I`m selling the 846 to finance a closed over-ear.

Anyway, I have a question for any 200 owners, and maybe 100 owners if you can confirm that the cable is the same as the 200:  Has anyone reterminated the 200 with a balanced plug? I`m thinking about doing just that, for my AK120ii.  I just need to know if the cable is 4-wire, or do they share the ground ?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been discussed somewhere previously . .  .

It's much easier to make a 4 wire cable than some dodgy join at the Y split design, it's not even a thick cable so they could save money by using less - I would bet my house it's a 4 wire. 

If it isn't you just have to put a shiny new jack plug on instead, will be cheaper than the balanced connector which you wont be needing...

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3,197 of 3,271

It's much easier to make a 4 wire cable than some dodgy join at the Y split design, it's not even a thick cable so they could save money by using less - I would bet my house it's a 4 wire. 

If it isn't you just have to put a shiny new jack plug on instead, will be cheaper than the balanced connector which you wont be needing...

Thanks.  I am going to go for it.  I found some of the 2.5mm plugs in a diy shop . .    

How do you like your fx850?  I find it extremely good, but I still value the isolation of the fxz200 . .  . 

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3,200 of 3,271
Thanks.  I am going to go for it.  I found some of the 2.5mm plugs in a diy shop . .    

How do you like your fx850?  I find it extremely good, but I still value the isolation of the fxz200 . .  . 

I'm eagerly awaiting for an update. I was thinking about this just the other day.

Please keep us posted. Pics would be awesome too!

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #3,201 of 3,271
I'm eagerly awaiting for an update. I was thinking about this just the other day.

Please keep us posted. Pics would be awesome too!

Will do.  

On a separate topic, yesterday I noticed one of the filters in my 200s was deformed.  In trying to re-form it with tweezers, I totally mangled it and so just pulled it out completely.  Those things are really dense and stiff; it`s hard to imagine them not impacting SQ.  So I pulled other one out too.  

I think I am hearing more details, especially in the high end.  Of course, this could be placebo. 

Has this been discussed before, or has anyone else removed their filters? 

d

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,202 of 3,271
Heads up: An HA-FXZ1100 is launching in December.
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/wood/index.html#lineup

No sign of another triple-driver iem, though they have a FXT90 successor.
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/headphone/inner/ha-fxt200/index.html

It's overall interesting to see the differences between the Japanese companies, namely Sony, Audio Technica, and JVC. The differences between iem technology (Dyanamic wood driver vs BA/ Dynamic Hybrid) etc.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #3,204 of 3,271

The fx850 are sublime out of my Tera Player, the fxz200 are not unlistenable but not great.  On the other hand out of my phone the fx850 are boomy and unpleasant while the fxz200 manage to have more bass yet sound clearer, so this is a great combo when pocket space is tight.

Isolation wise I find them about the same using large professor beats ear sweets (like complys but cheaper - stock tips aren't big enough) as both housings are too large for a deep insertion so both suffer from wind noise.  Between these two and my heir tzars (better isolation due to sealed BAs and low profile so no wind noise) I'm content and won't be buying an IEM until one of them dies.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,205 of 3,271
Sooo, this thread is 214 pages long and I admit that I do not want to go through all of it, so I was just hoping if someone could give the general consensus of the FXZ200 or link me to the appropriate post. I recently got the FX40 and although they are quite unrefined (can't expect that much from a $15 earphone), I do enjoy their fun sound signature. This has led me to look into higher-end JVC IEMs, particularly those that also have carbon nanotube drivers and the FXZ200 has grabbed my attention.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3,206 of 3,271
This thread really only talks about burn in. Lots of shipping and logistics bloat as well. From what i can gather, the fxz100 seems to be the more balanced sound and the 200 are bassy(obviously) and have mixed impressions aside from a pretty common honeymoon phase. Seems they wow'd folks initially, then the love kinda petered out...

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,207 of 3,271
I have never stopped loving my FXZ200s.  They are my gym/running IEM and I`m constantly reminded of how good they sound.  They stick out a little from the ear :  that is their only negative and it`s a small one.  I can testify that these things will take enormous abuse, neglect, prolonged soaking in perspiration, rain, etc.  - FOR YEARS.  They punch way above their price-point if you listen to well-mastered high rez tracks from a descent player.  From a phone or ipod (i use a clip+) they provide great, bassy, punchy fun music with descent soundstage and detail.  They isolate a descent amount, too.  It`s been almost 3 years now and I`ve never thought of replacing them (while I buy and sell higher priced IEMs all the time, searching for . . .  something)

I heartily recommned them for anyone moving up from low/mid-fi IEMs.  The only IEM I would recommend with equal enthusiasm would be the newer JVC FXT200 and 200LTD.  They are slightly cheaper and supposedly faster; they are definitely lighter and a little smaller. I haven`t had a high-quality demo session with them yet but I bet they`re awesome.  

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HA-FXT200

The FXZ200 is still in production and for sale, too. 

d

Here are mine : I have run full marathons with these things ! 

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,208 of 3,271
  Sooo, this thread is 214 pages long and I admit that I do not want to go through all of it, so I was just hoping if someone could give the general consensus of the FXZ200 or link me to the appropriate post. I recently got the FX40 and although they are quite unrefined (can't expect that much from a $15 earphone), I do enjoy their fun sound signature. This has led me to look into higher-end JVC IEMs, particularly those that also have carbon nanotube drivers and the FXZ200 has grabbed my attention.

Thanks!

FXZ200s first of all have an 'average'-sized soundscape, so don't expect them to sound very '3D' or like your home theater setup. It has what you'd call an 'intimate' presentation, for better or worse. There's not much width or height to the sound.

Now with that out of the way, these 'phones have a powerful bass sound, which is kind of obvious from the Kelton subwoofer, but still. 

But the best thing about them I remember, is the way they handle voices. The voices are so crystal clear and close, that they sound as if you are there in the recording studio, and the performer is singing into you as if you are the microphone. It's like it's just the two of you, and the surrounding music seems to almost disappear.

Maybe Dopaminer can verify that.

The Sony XBA-H3 was a step-up above these in some ways [Soundscape], and a step back in others [Voices aren't as clear]. 

I think you'd love them, and I hope JVC makes a successor. Looking at the way things are going right now, I had a lot riding on the FX1100, which almost trounced the XBA-Z5, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Hoping JVC keeps up the good work.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,209 of 3,271
  I have never stopped loving my FXZ200s.  They are my gym/running IEM and I`m constantly reminded of how good they sound.  They stick out a little from the ear :  that is their only negative and it`s a small one.  I can testify that these things will take enormous abuse, neglect, prolonged soaking in perspiration, rain, etc.  - FOR YEARS.  They punch way above their price-point if you listen to well-mastered high rez tracks from a descent player.  From a phone or ipod (i use a clip+) they provide great, bassy, punchy fun music with descent soundstage and detail.  They isolate a descent amount, too.  It`s been almost 3 years now and I`ve never thought of replacing them (while I buy and sell higher priced IEMs all the time, searching for . . .  something)

I heartily recommned them for anyone moving up from low/mid-fi IEMs.  The only IEM I would recommend with equal enthusiasm would be the newer JVC FXT200 and 200LTD.  They are slightly cheaper and supposedly faster; they are definitely lighter and a little smaller. I haven`t had a high-quality demo session with them yet but I bet they`re awesome.  

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HA-FXT200

The FXZ200 is still in production and for sale, too. 

d

Here are mine : I have run full marathons with these things ! 

They're beautiful. 

FXZ200s first of all have an 'average'-sized soundscape, so don't expect them to sound very '3D' or like your home theater setup. It has what you'd call an 'intimate' presentation, for better or worse. There's not much width or height to the sound.

Now with that out of the way, these 'phones have a powerful bass sound, which is kind of obvious from the Kelton subwoofer, but still. 

But the best thing about them I remember, is the way they handle voices. The voices are so crystal clear and close, that they sound as if you are there in the recording studio, and the performer is singing into you as if you are the microphone. It's like it's just the two of you, and the surrounding music seems to almost disappear.

Maybe Dopaminer can verify that.

The Sony XBA-H3 was a step-up above these in some ways [Soundscape], and a step back in others [Voices aren't as clear]. 

I think you'd love them, and I hope JVC makes a successor. Looking at the way things are going right now, I had a lot riding on the FX1100, which almost trounced the XBA-Z5, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Hoping JVC keeps up the good work.

I don't really expect to hear amazing soundstage from any IEM so that's fine. Vocals, especially female vocals, can sound a little shrill on the FX40 so if the FXZ200 has more refined vocals then I am that much more interested. These are definitely at the top of my list now. Their current price (~$160) seems quite fair as well.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #3,210 of 3,271
I don't really expect to hear amazing soundstage from any IEM so that's fine. Vocals, especially female vocals, can sound a little shrill on the FX40 so if the FXZ200 has more refined vocals then I am that much more interested. These are definitely at the top of my list now. Their current price (~$160) seems quite fair as well.

In that case, you can't go wrong with them.
You'll need lots of burn-in though before those voices sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back