JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,106 of 3,271
  I found two frequencies graphs of the FXZ200 :

http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/jvc-esncy-ha-fxz200/

http://fs-digital.net/thread-36518-1-1.html

Wow, that matches up pretty well with how I heard the Z-100. Look at the 12 db bass boost accompanied by the almost as massive boost in the upper mids. That explains the weird tonality.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #3,107 of 3,271
I received the FXZ200 JVCs for the time, where my Sony MDR EX1000 are in Service after hard use.

To make it short:

The JVCs are pretty good earphones, the most neutral 3 way IEs I ever had. Voices are smooth, dynamics and room are fine.

In comparison to the EX1000, the Sony is better in every aspect, including better sensivity.
This is not a big surprise for me, it's much more expensive and the EX1k are my favorite headphone for years now. A genius construction from a clever engineer and a shame that they're not built anymore.

However. I was afraid about bad ass bass from the JVC, but at the end the phones sound fairly balanced in my ears. For around 200 Dollars the JVCs are no bargain, but for sure better than many more expensive multi way IEs I had before.

BTW: I doubt that we hear, what the measured graphs try to show us.

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #3,108 of 3,271
In comparison to the EX1000, the Sony is better in every aspect, including better sensivity.

Except isolation
wink.gif
  Oh and "better" sensitivity also means more chance of hiss...

I just received pair of nearly new 200s, no hiss and the bass quantity out of the "low" impedance output of my Tera is not too much.  For poorly mastered (compressed) recordings switching to the higher impedance output seems to increase the bass back to where it should be, making these are a contender to be a perfect pairing.

I'll have more to say when I find some tips that fit and they've had a while to burn in.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #3,110 of 3,271
Okay, these have like a million hours on them now, and I think the sound has changed again. I didn't really notice before, since I've been listening to "modern" recordings like Drake [Love the new album].

But for whatever reason, the voice has changed again. They've gone "quiet" again, yet "clearer". [Note: this is straight out my iPhone 5]. The bass went down again. The voices hit my ears in such a way as to sound as if I'm next to the person. It's a little spooky to hear the music as if you're sitting in the session. 

The way it presents instruments played in a studio is a little clearer as well. It used to have this more "forward" presentation to it, where everything is kind of jumbled. Now, you can pick out a few instruments, even though it still has a "enclosed" feel. It's not gonna totally feel like you're in a big room, but the sound has a little more depth to it [If the music was recorded that way]. For example:

Nujabes - Spiritual State ft. Uyama Hiroto (2011)     
When the sax shows up at 2:40, it sounds like it's somewhere towards your right, behind you. The way the sound starts and stops, makes it sound more "real". 

Alicia Keys - Diary     

Kenichiro Nishihara - Nebulosa     
It's like someone playing piano a little to the right. 

Nujabes - Kiss Of Life RIP Nujabes     
The woman's voice is very "forward", while the piano at one point is more to the right. 

Kenmochi Hidefumi - Thousands     

Kenmochi Hidefumi - New Moon     

Kenmochi Hidefumi - SURRENDER     
0:54 

Kenmochi Hidefumi - ATOM HEART     

Cormega - VIII (Feat. Red Alert, Parrish Smith, Grand Puba, KRS-One & Big Daddy Kane)     

Or maybe it's just me. 

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #3,111 of 3,271
Not just you, they have become my top 3 IEM of all my collection. They are an absolute joy with the Fiio X3 and none of the cloudiness either as mentioned before with some very sweet treble too.
Mids are clean, treble shimmers and bass pounds.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,112 of 3,271
Can anyone recommend some huge tips for these?  I have large tips and biflanges from Heir, UE and Aurisonics and medium Comply TSX-400 and none of them are big enough (the Complys come out fully expanded) so the isolation is lacking, and I might be missing out soundwise too.  The Comply TSX are over $11 a pair here so I'd rather not have to keep buying two sets of them (though I guess it would save on postage costs!)

I usually use a medium tip but these are much shallower insertion than all my other IEMs so I guess long tips could work round the issue too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #3,113 of 3,271
First HF post after years of hiatus.

I just got back from Japan where the list price for the FXZ-200 on Yodobashi camera was ¥19,200 - but lo and behold, on the day I visited the store, they had just marked it down to ¥15,100!

After the tourist tax rebate, they cost me ¥14,300. That's about $140 - ridiculous price for these beauties.

I have spent the last half decade looking for a replacement for my trusty UE SF.5 Pros, which are still going strong, but I was disappointed by so many "popular" buds - Final Audio (tried the whole "Heaven" range), Denon, TF10s, all of Sony's XBAs. Upon listening to these, though obviously not neutral, they were so enjoyable to listen to, I'm glad I've finally found new buds to take me into 2014. :)

Very pleased indeed!

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,115 of 3,271
  First HF post after years of hiatus.

I just got back from Japan where the list price for the FXZ-200 on Yodobashi camera was ¥19,200 - but lo and behold, on the day I visited the store, they had just marked it down to ¥15,100!

After the tourist tax rebate, they cost me ¥14,300. That's about $140 - ridiculous price for these beauties.

I have spent the last half decade looking for a replacement for my trusty UE SF.5 Pros, which are still going strong, but I was disappointed by so many "popular" buds - Final Audio (tried the whole "Heaven" range), Denon, TF10s, all of Sony's XBAs. Upon listening to these, though obviously not neutral, they were so enjoyable to listen to, I'm glad I've finally found new buds to take me into 2014. :)

Very pleased indeed!

Which DENON earphones did you try?

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,116 of 3,271
Hi friend . Can't recall right now (sitting at a café) but I did try Denons in price ranges up to $300 for comparison in Yodobashi.

To be honest I think I'm probably at fault for not liking them. I listen to a huge range of genres of music - the whole gamut from classical to rock to breakbeats. I find many phones that deliver clarity on the classical front are far too shrill on other types of music (rock cymbals, dubstep claps) which makes it especially hard for me to find buds that work.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #3,117 of 3,271
Just make sure you power them well. They sound pretty dismal out of a phone or a low power DAP.

Thank you for the tip! I took your advice and am now enjoying them through a Xenos Audio X1HA-EPC. The bass tightened right up! Soundstage is much improved compared to my NW-Z1070's headphone out.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,118 of 3,271
Yup, a lot of people complaining about loose bass and muddied sound. None of these issues when powered properly even from a Fiio X3 or the iBasso DX50, let alone an amp.

I personally find them best with the iBasso PB2 as that thing is simply monstrous when it comes to power. Tames the bass a bit too.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #3,119 of 3,271
Hi everyone, after reading almost this entire thread I bought a pair of the 200s and I'm a little concerned after just listening to them. The left ear phone seems to be generally more subdued and most of the midrange and highs are coming through the right one. Anything with vocals, I can hear it a little in the left, but mostly in the right. Everything is pretty unlistenable... is this normal?! Will it change after burn-in? Has anyone any experience with returning something via Tenso?? By the way, I got these after I lost my FXT90s and though it's been a while, I definitely don't remember anything so uneven.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #3,120 of 3,271
Does not sound right. Might be one of the mid driver that has "jammed" or something. You can try placing you finger tip over the bore of the silicone tip en gently push a few times (like 2 mm or so). I've had this help with some of my cheaper dynamic IEM's where one side all of a sudden has gone silent. What this does is it forces the drivers to flex a bit and may release anything that has gotten stuck. Sounds kind of brutal I know, but it might work. You can also leave them burning over night with something really mid centric and try to get the drivers moving that way (this would be my first choice).  Or it might just be a faulty 3.5 mm plug. They should not sound uneven. Your last resort is returning them. GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back