JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,296 of 3,271
Quote:
That was yours wasn't it. It never did anything like this for you did it?

Oh, yea, guess it was. No, I never had any issues with the device. If I did, I would have sent it back to Digizoid. I would not have knowingly passed a faulty device to another Head-Fi'er. It was upgraded from a v1 to a v3 though. Not sure if that has anything to do with much. I'll take a look at the warranty info and PM you. Not appropriate here.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,297 of 3,271
right on. Thanks. I'm not pointing fingers, just so you know, I'm genuinely curious.
beerchug.gif

I have a bad time with electronics burning out on me with regular use, so I'm not like, freaking out cuz of this, it's just another day in my life of bad luck lol.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,298 of 3,271
got my 200's today. so far, awesome. i concur with the 2.1 reference. ridiculously big sound out of these things. not too impressed with the stock tips it ships with though, they dont go very deep. anyone recommend some decent tips? i'm thinking double flange, but not super long ones. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,299 of 3,271
Sennheiser double Flange Earbud Tips  will fit nicely but tend  to cut the bass down, and I thought some of the detail as well. MEElectronics Original Eartips for M11+/M11P+ Earphones will work, but for whatever reason I didn't like them, forget why.
A-JAYS T-JAYSl Replacement Ear Buds Tips Sleeves will also work.

My best results for comfort and sound seem to be Logitech's Spare 3.5mm Silicone Ear Cushion Kit for UE 900.

The UE 900 tips can be found  over on Logitech's site.

Of course, your mileage will vary.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,300 of 3,271
Quote:
got my 200's today. so far, awesome. i concur with the 2.1 reference. ridiculously big sound out of these things. not too impressed with the stock tips it ships with though, they dont go very deep. anyone recommend some decent tips? i'm thinking double flange, but not super long ones. 

I'm gonna order the Meelec Variety pack in medium and large... Medium tips that that come on IEMs stock are usually the best fit/seal for me, but the large ones have the best bass.

I'm gonna do my own tip rolling to preference. I'd recommend the same. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,301 of 3,271
Some music to play your 200's on:

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2,303 of 3,271
OK. I just got the well run in 100 loaners and have them in my ears as I'm typing this. I only listened for a short time but it never takes me too long.
Let me start by saying that I like them and the perspective....but not as a high end type product...to me.
I'm enjoying then as a whole and hear the cool imaging though it could use more specificity compared to the best. They throw some neat stuff at the perimeter but aren't as focused towards center. They are quite open.
These comments will be of a super critical nature so they will be overstated in the grand scheme. They have good clarity but they sound a bit compressed and lack some black between notes and that's not just from woofer fill. Snares sound fine but female vocals and midrange piano, while tonally good lack a bit of bite or percussiveness. Could have sharper edges. The top is a very slightly splashy in a smoothed sort of way. Maybe slightly elevated somewhere around near 5k but never peaky. The bass is somewhat overdone while not killing the mids.
bigsmile_face.gif
It doesn't do a great string bass recording justice but doesn't kill it as much as other bass enhanced IEMs either. The bass does have a bit of a disjointedness to the mids and to speculate, the openness may come from a bit of 2 fulrange driver displacement which would account for some other aspects as well. Total guess.

Unfortunately to critic something is to talk about it's deviation from what you perceive as correct and none of these characteristics are there to a significant degree. Compared to other iems in the range they are a good option. They have no glaring faults, have a good amount of info, a cool perspective and consumer friendly, natural tonality above the rather elevated bass that most prefer anyway. While I think a GR07 is more proficient in most ways, I couldn't live with the highs, PFEs lack bass with the preferred gray filters etc. There is no perfect IEM under $200 and these are a fine option. I could listen to these for a long time without fatigue.
 Do I think them a good buy. For most, I'd say yes but they are not for me.
I'm not going to get into amping and swapping DAPs etc. There's no need for me. This is a consumer product and will be evaluated as such by me. I used a clip+ and touch 4g. I don't have my HiSound or amps with me at work today but these need to work with precisely these types of associated DAPs..

While this review will be percieved as damning to fans, It's not. I actually do like them and think those that purchased them should be happy. I just don't think they are a high end type product and just a VG one but that's just IMO.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2,305 of 3,271
Nice impressions. I for one am not offended by your review. It is your opinion. Not mine. None of us hear these things the same (even when we agree that we like it). Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,306 of 3,271
Thanks, I tend to sound overly critical. Trying to describe something will do that. To be fair, this was from only about an hour of use as descibed but I know the recordings extremely well and can usually cue in quickly. Looking like Frankenstein didn't bother me and they weren't nearly as cumbersome as I would expect. Lots to like but not an end all for me. I'm waiting to get my JH13s back and they're not perfect either, nor are my GR10s which could use a hair more sub bass and a bit less hot top though not as hot as the GR07 or B2. I'm sure I could find issues with anything. GR07 is about my midbass limit. I've had B2, GR07, PFE, TF10, se530 etc and of those, I could live with was the PFE and se530 but they still weren't going to be keepers either so this is coming from someone with what are perhaps unreasonable expectations. Bought the JH13 to just get it over with. Lets hope.
wink_face.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,307 of 3,271
I just don't think they are a high end type product and just a VG one but that's just IMO.:bigsmile_face:

I think I'll give these a miss, while I don't mind some sub-bass I'm not fond of mainstream brands, they tend to be less adventurous as smaller company's are from my experience. I like anything that's not in mainstream, part of my audio quest is finding company's far from that as possible and Vsonic is probably as close I'd venture recently, while JVC are right in that world, bang smack in the middle of it. Thanks for helping me make my decision goodvibes.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,309 of 3,271
I got home and tried them on my Hisound for a drive and the bass was much more in line as the combo of ambient noise and the tighter player helped. It hasn't changed my overall impressions other than I could live with them here though the character things I described still exist for me. They are very balanced except for a bit of lower/mid treble bump and the bass which I still thought not quite cohesive with the whole. Nothing sounds perfectly flat though the jh13s seemed to in the short time I had them except for a slight sub bass bump.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,310 of 3,271
I think I'll give these a miss, while I don't mind some sub-bass I'm not fond of mainstream brands, they tend to be less adventurous as smaller company's are from my experience. I like anything that's not in mainstream, part of my audio quest is finding company's far from that as possible and Vsonic is probably as close I'd venture recently, while JVC are right in that world, bang smack in the middle of it. Thanks for helping me make my decision goodvibes.

Sorry to disagree but the JVC HA-FXZx00 product is far from mainstream. 3 dynamic drivers in an IEM'S is far from the majority. Kudos to JVC to produce new technology. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back