JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Apr 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #541 of 578
  Anybody try a cable upgrade for these?

I've tried the FX850 with stock cable, the FX1100 cable, the Sony H3 cable, the UE900 cable, the Linum BAX cable and a cheap $10 cable from a HK seller.

Result: I couldn't detect any significant difference in sound quality. In a nutshell, the FX850 sound the same with six different cables I've tried.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #543 of 578
Depends on what you're coming from. The FX850 in stock form has got a crazy mid bass hump. I love these phones when modded though.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #544 of 578
They shakes the earth. In a cool whoaaa kinda way.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #545 of 578
  Interesting - one never knows how far to trust one's perceptions of burn-in, but it seems to me that rather than smoothing out the FR, what's happened so far is more an opening-up of the soundstage. Anyone else experienced this?

That sure happened on my 750's. That and the bass settling down. I suppose there was a change in the way all elements of the FR became more of a whole, more of a unity, if that makes any sense. Hard to describe such subtle changes that happen over time, but they did. I doubt you'd be able to measure these changes in the FR though, but what do I know.

And of course there's still the age old disussion of driver burn in versus brain burn in, but personally I don't believe they have to be mutually exclusive.

Funny story about that.. I let a friend hear the 750's pretty much out of the box. He loved them but thought the bass was too overwhelming. Months later, in which I had used them every day for about 4 hours, so enough time for the drivers to burn in and my ears / brain getting used to the sound, I let him listen again. Without me saying anything about the sound, the first thing he noticed was how much the bass had settled down and the sound as a whole had become better. He was noticably surprised, saying "wow, I didn't know they were THIS good..". So yeah, my brain 'burned in'? Probably. Drivers burned in? Definitely.
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is, whenever I read about what people experience after burn in, they usually describe the change as "opening up". And in the case of these woodies, "settling down" has been mentioned quite a lot. How and where would 'opening up' and 'settling down' show up on a frequency response graph..?

I never really believed in the concept of burn-in for headphones and speakers per se but rather that one simply acclimates to the different sound signature produced by a new pair of headphones or speakers. Well, that was up until now...

I have been completely god-smacked by these new JVC HA-FX750s I bought over a month ago. The detail and timbre has been monstrous (as well as, the bass) and the comfort... oh, the comfort.

Any way, after about forty hours of usage, I was listening one night and sat up shocked by some very noticeable and new details I was hearing in a song that I did not hear (nor have played) since the day I bought them. The only way I can explain it is that the FX750s must have cleared up and/or settled down since I have purchased them?!

I made a few more comparisons and discovered one other song with those very apparent extra details. Even more interesting is that I am listening at a volume lower than when I first purchased the FX750s and even from what I usually listen at with my SE535s!

As much as psychological acclimation (getting used to a certain sound) could still be an explanation for what I am experiencing with my JVC HA-FX750s it seems to me more likely there really has been a physical and audible change???

Now my Shure SE535LTS-Js they never changed in the way that they sound... the sound signature has remained exactly the same since Day One. Could it be that the FX750s are dynamic driven and the Shures are balanced armature driven?

By the way the two songs were Emmylou Harris's Goodbye (from the Wrecking Ball album) and Fritz Reiner's 1954 CSO version of Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Sunrise.

May 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #546 of 578
For whatever reason, i do not hear these as bassy as others do. Almost sounds flat in the bass. If not slightly elevated...

If you are certain that you got a good seal, then I guess you've been listening to bassy IEMs/headphones for a while. But FX series are "considered" to pretty bass heavy without overpowering the mids and highs

May 4, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #547 of 578
If you are certain that you got a good seal, then I guess you've been listening to bassy IEMs/headphones for a while. But FX series are "considered" to pretty bass heavy without overpowering the mids and highs
seems that you might be right to some extent. I recently made myself some foam tips out of ear plugs at work and I am indeed hearing some bass now. I was also listen to the new RHA T10i pretty exclusively back then as well. But the fx850 truly is the best sounding in ear in my collection. When paired with a fiio e11, its actually comically impressive, if that's even a thing :/ huge HUGE fan of JVC. Had tons of their in ear offering and these woddys are the bees knees

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #548 of 578
Geez, FX-1100 is my worst buying in  years!
Im a bass head, but this buddy is ridiculously bassy and congested.
Ive tried to tune the vent and end up closing it, even all modded this headphone gives me headaches!
Ouch! 

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #549 of 578
Ive tried to tune the vent and end up closing it, even all modded this headphone gives me headaches!
Ouch! 

How long have you been running it? The JVC Woody series are notorious for sounding boomy and unrefined out of the box....

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #551 of 578

Oh, just a couple of hours. About 6 or so....
I think you brought some light into the darkness
biggrin.gif
 how long should I burn them?

You should really give them around 50 before you start trying to pin down the sound 
wink_face.gif
 100 and they should be pretty settled.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #552 of 578
Ouch! 

The stock FX1100/1200 sound just like you described. Did you follow my instructions for the mod - what exactly did you do?

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #553 of 578

How long have you been running it? The JVC Woody series are notorious for sounding boomy and unrefined out of the box....

Oh, just a couple of hours. About 6 or so....
I think you brought some light into the darkness :D  how long should I burn them?

If you really can't stand the sound leave music playing through the at a volume that is higher than normal listening level. The more bass in the music the better. You should start hearing them opening up at 50 hours. I'd say give them at least 100 hours before forming an opinion. If you still don't like them then I would try the mods that James has recommended.

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #554 of 578
Any one try JVC HA'-FX850 with IBASSO DX90...PLEASE INFORM ME YOUR FEEDBACK HELP ME TO BUY RIGHT EARPHONE. am little bit worrying to buy FX850

I like to listen ROCK,ELECTION,POP,HIP HOP.
Please inform me.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #555 of 578
i get my JVC KENWOOD HA-FX850 yesterday. i use it with Dx90 i noticed isolation is not good with default eartips. which ear tips is good for better isolation and sound response...please inform me if anyone use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back