JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Jan 31, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #466 of 578
Ooooo....look what came in today !!! Yay!! From Japan ....but made in China :mad:

Spiral tips came attached with the rest of the stock tips are spiral, the foam tips don't look so much comfy compare to Comply T500. Oops my bad, look like the foam was stiffened due to the cold, I got home and it became super soft ! Nice.

Out of the box....and I was like wow that bass !!

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #467 of 578
Well, like I said, I tried all the different tips they provided.
The two pairs of foam tips had the opposite effect of what I'd thought they'd have: the music was tinny and awful, with no bass and very little high treble.
The larger of the (silicone?) tips fit a bit tight, and do add a little more bass, and might cut down on the upper mids and highs a little bit but it's hard to say.
So, I can turn the volume down a little and still have the same awesome bass and less high midrange.
Again, thanks for the "tip"!

You could try tips that have a small bore, like sony hybrids or g707 tips. Audeo phonak and fidue also have small bore tips.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #468 of 578
I found an interesting pair of tips that work really well.
They are like two in one, double stacked so that the first slips over the drivers and the second gets in deeper into the ear canal for improved perceived bass response.
To tame the treble, I just pulled out the little wire mesh "grills" from over the drivers and instead inserted some small foam filters, which helped to soften the highs, although they're still very much alive and vibrant, just not overkill.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #470 of 578
I finally got around to putting the HiFiMAN RE-400 black tips, the ones that look like double-flanges but aren't actually. I also tried some Comply isolation foam and out of both the sound was highly improved. Initial impressions, the black hifiman tips still kept the huge bass whereas the Comply tips were more, well, balanced. I haven't had much time to sit down and listen today, and might not for a few days but once I have sufficient time in I'll come back with a reassessment. 

Just a heads up, I will probably end up eating my words on this one. Hah.

That being said, I am concerned that the spiral dot tips weren't included. I'd hate to give the guy a non-positive ebay review over some tips. Can anyone confirm that, maybe at some point the spiral dot tips weren't included? I've attached a pic from the box. The tips themselves are just plain black tips.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #471 of 578
On the back of the box, top left schematic it should describe in Japanese the spiral dots tips. I used google translate on it to read it.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #472 of 578
  That being said, I am concerned that the spiral dot tips weren't included. I'd hate to give the guy a non-positive ebay review over some tips. Can anyone confirm that, maybe at some point the spiral dot tips weren't included? I've attached a pic from the box. The tips themselves are just plain black tips.

Check your tips in good light. The dots may be very slight. Here's a closeup of my 850 tips:

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #473 of 578

Check your tips in good light. The dots may be very slight. Here's a closeup of my 850 tips:

Thanks for that. I guess I thought they would be way more pronounced but after blowing some of the dust out I can see them. I feel like a real idiot now, heh.

That being said, it's interesting to me that they seem to be the preferred tips, and yet to my ears they sounded terrible. Like I mentioned above, I'm gonna give em a run with the Comply isolation tips and the weird hifiman black tips when I get the chance. I listened to a couple of songs with each this morning and the results were significantly improved sound. Haven't had enough time to decide whether they're for me or not, but I could at least see how people would enjoy them now....

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #474 of 578
  That being said, it's interesting to me that they seem to be the preferred tips, and yet to my ears they sounded terrible.

I wouldn't call them terrible, but I'm not a big fan of them either and prefer Ultimate Ears TF10 tips. The latter sound clearer than the spirals, which strike me as a bit blurry in comparison. The difference is particularly noticeable on the modded JVCs.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #475 of 578

That being said, it's interesting to me that they seem to be the preferred tips, and yet to my ears they sounded terrible.

I thought they were a solid made tip with good seal but I didn't really bond with the sound either, tended to deaden things a tad. im currently using some humble cheap jvc ebay replacements, simply as they are thin, small and have a large bore so all the sound comes through and not attenuated by the tip. Due to the bass on these I much prefer a light seal and worn over the ear

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #476 of 578
Anyone knows if the westone foam tips may fit on the fx850? I like the ones included but they don't look like they will last long, so I may soon need a replacement:
Westone TRUE-FIT Foam Eartips for Universal Fit Earphones and Monitors, Five Pairs in Assorted Sizes https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00DBAAGZK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c1RZub0QR9V34
Or maybe these:
Shure EABKF1-10M Medium Foam Sleeves (10 Included/5 Pair) for E3c, E4c, E5c, E500PTH, i3c, i4c & SE Earphones (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0015PN3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_.5RZub0NFQDAH

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #477 of 578
The Westone tips are too small - when I tried to find a tip that worked with my odd ears, I removed the core of a Westone foam and that "kinda" worked - but without a bit of DIY, they don't fit.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #478 of 578
Anyone knows if the westone foam tips may fit on the fx850? I like the ones included but they don't look like they will last long, so I may soon need a replacement:
Westone TRUE-FIT Foam Eartips for Universal Fit Earphones and Monitors, Five Pairs in Assorted Sizes https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00DBAAGZK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c1RZub0QR9V34

The Westones are going to be too small. IIRC from my old pair, Westones have one of the smallest sizes whereas these are huge.

Not so... *ahem* not so shure about those others

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #479 of 578
I see, thanks, any other brand to suggest then? Anything easily available?

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #480 of 578

I wouldn't call them terrible, but I'm not a big fan of them either and prefer Ultimate Ears TF10 tips. The latter sound clearer than the spirals, which strike me as a bit blurry in comparison. The difference is particularly noticeable on the modded JVCs.

Just tested out some other tips and agree on the blurry bit. However, the spirals does do good for soundstage with the FX850s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back