JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Jun 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #346 of 578
Okay just one last thing. Which earphone has better bass transients?

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #347 of 578
So i'm currently in japan right now and found the FX750 for $140. Would this be a good buy for rock music? To replace falling apart x10i's?
Also have Dunu dn-1000's on the way, how would they compare? Thanks!

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #348 of 578
So i'm currently in japan right now and found the FX750 for $140. Would this be a good buy for rock music? To replace falling apart x10i's?

If they are just under the 850's in performance, they are better than the X10's by another order of performance - you should be more than pleased... (I am happy with my 850's now that I found tips that work - hallelujah!)

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #349 of 578

That is a ridiculously good deal!! I would bite

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #350 of 578
Buy 10 and sell it on ebay :)

You can make money :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #354 of 578
Stupid Question of the Day:

I'm just now getting back into IEMs after picking up a DX90 for gym/work duty. I have JVC FXZ200, VSonic GR07 BE, and Audio Technica CKS99. The DX90 seems awesome, but I don't believe any of my IEMs match well with it (too revealing?) I'm wondering what I'll think of the FX850 as I, at the moment, don't care for the FXZ200. The FXZ200 is a lot of fun, but as I've become lost down the audio rabbit hole, my tastes have changed. I almost picked up the SE846 until I heard that the FX850 was up to par at less than half the cost. Bass is appreciated, but lack of bass is not acceptable! The FXZ200 has amazing bass, but everything else is thin and artificial sounding. Opinions?

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #355 of 578
  Bass is appreciated, but lack of bass is not acceptable!

Just got the FX850. With a light seal, they sound fantastic.
However, with a full seal, they're like a sledgehammer against the inside of your skull.

Nuff said. 
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #357 of 578
  Stupid Question of the Day:

I almost picked up the SE846 until I heard that the FX850 was up to par at less than half the cost. Bass is appreciated, but lack of bass is not acceptable! The FXZ200 has amazing bass, but everything else is thin and artificial sounding. Opinions?

I personally think the 850 holds up to the 846 very well, and is the better phone for my tastes. The 846 is  more laid-back, and comes across as too smooth in the highs. Some of the upper mid recession and treble roll off bothered me as well. Also didn't like the tone of the highs as much. (guitars and cymbals sounded off) Another concern is that I find the presentation kind of claustrophobic since its presentation is "in your face", and there isn't enough space between instruments (IMO anyhow). Makes for an immersive listen tho, so if you're coming from other stage monitor type phones it may not bother you as much. Other than that, it's extremely easy on the ears and a pretty well balanced phone. For the money though, I'd pick the Tenore over it every time. 

Bass-wise, the 850 plunges deeper than the 846. I ran test tones on them both when I got the 850 in, and that phone goes down to an astounding 13 hz, I think the 846 taps out at around 17 hz. Then again, there's hardly any music that goes that low, so they're comparable in that respect (amplitude being similar across the board in the lows). Note that I don't like the 850 without James' front vent mod since the bass needs attenuation (too reverberant). The 846's bass is less intrusive in that sense I guess. Either way, I'd give the upper hand to the modded 850 though; it probably has the most impactful bass out of anything I've heard to date without coming across as too boomy/sluggish

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #358 of 578
I wholeheartedly agree with _24 regarding his comments on the FX850 SQ. I had decided to sell mine as I had just purchased the new Tralucent Ref.1's and wanted to thin my collection of IEM's in order to recoup some of the cost.

I lent my 850's to a friend for a couple of months and just received them back and after listening to them again after they had accumulated an additional several hundred hours of use, I find the overall balance between bass and the rest of the audio spectrum has improved considerably. I find them to now deliver a very satisfying well-balanced sound, hence I have decided to keep them rather than offer them for sale.

My biggest nit to pick with them was the fact that they did protrude too much from my ears which made it very difficult to use them in bed, but I did find that by reversing them L to R and wearing them "over-ear", they tend to lay flush with the back of my ear and are now much more comfortable to wear. Fortunately, with the removable cables, one can easily maintain correct L/R polarity when wearing them "back-wards".

As the price has dropped significantly since these first became available, they should well be on one's short-list for a mid-priced, top-tier IEM.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #359 of 578
Thanks for your detailed impressions. I was curious on how the SE846's compared to the FX850's. I definitely wouldn't want less treble than the FX850's already have. It's perfect as it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back