JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #167 of 578
Too bad you gave up so early shotgunshane. That bass tightens up and calms down quite a bit at about 100 hours. Oh, it's still let its presence be known, but it blends with the rest of the frequencies with great synergy after a significant burn in.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #170 of 578
Listening to them for the last time before shipping them to their new owner, I found my best tip to use with them- the white monster foams. Reasoning is because it's impossible for me to get a complete seal with those, which means it reduces the bass considerably and I can walk around with them and not have them fall out. On the down side, while it attenuated the mid bass nicely, it does take a away a hair too much sub bass in comparison. Still those tips made for the most enjoyable listening session I had with them. The 850 is certainly a great product for lovers of heaping levels of bass!

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #171 of 578
Listening to them for the last time before shipping them to their new owner, I found my best tip to use with them- the white monster foams. Reasoning is because it's impossible for me to get a complete seal with those, which means it reduces the bass considerably and I can walk around with them and not have them fall out. On the down side, while it attenuated the mid bass nicely, it does take a away a hair too much sub bass in comparison. Still those tips made for the most enjoyable listening session I had with them. The 850 is certainly a great product for lovers of heaping levels of bass!

Actually I have to revise what earlier statement. Now, with about a 100 hours of burn-in, the bass has tapered down significantly. While it would please bassheads, I can't call this earphone the premier "basshead audiophile" earphone anymore. The low end has settled in very nicely among the other frequencies. The bass isn't so boombastic at all. This is truly the one earphone you needed to give a good burn-in, shotgunshane. Then again, maybe it would still have had more bass than you would have liked, but I've heard bassier (the AX-60 comes to mind). The holographic details, staging, and timbre still makes this one of the best universal earphones I've ever heard. 

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #172 of 578
I find break-in is more about nuances, rather than wholesale swings of large variation in frequency response. I've no doubt they sound better to your ears over time but I'd still find them about 6db's of bass too much (give or take) for my preferences. For what it's worth, bass heavy or not, the 850 is significantly better than and runs rings around the AX60, which I find to have poor overall sound quality.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #173 of 578
I find break-in is more about nuances, rather than wholesale swings of large variation in frequency response. I've no doubt they sound better to your ears over time but I'd still find them about 6db's of bass too much (give or take) for my preferences. For what it's worth, bass heavy or not, the 850 is significantly better than and runs rings around the AX60, which I find to have poor overall sound quality.

Well I certainly don't disagree with that. I was only talking about amounts of bass (quantity, not quality). And I wasn't trying to make any comparison of the overall sound signatures. I still think you didn't give it enough of a chance, and that you would have perceived less bass too. But regardless, you heard them, you sold them, and they're not for you. lol

Understood.

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #174 of 578
Burn in on several JVC IEMs I've owned changed the sound dramatically especially taming and tightening the bass. Those were all nano tubes though so I'm guessing it won't be as dramatic a change with the 850s. Bit I would definitely run them through at least 100 of burn in before giving up on them.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #175 of 578
Can someone please offer a comparison on the Sennheiser IE80 versus JVC FX850?

I currently own Hippo VB and previously owned Sony EB90EX.  I did briefly own the Senn IE80 but was admittedly to quick to sell them after only 24 hours - I didn't give them enough chance but the lack of sub bass compared to Hippo VB left me disappointed.

My taste is now changing and find myself wanting a higher end sound but still retaining some good sub-bass for my house and techno.  Which would you guys suggest?

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #179 of 578
Just received my fx850s from Tenso yesterday. Unboxed, plugged them into my O2+ODAC/Galaxy S4...wow, this is all that I'd hoped for the fx700: wide soundstage, full, textured bass, forward, natural mids with plenty of detail. Treble is similar to the fx700- energetic with no apparent roll-off. Of course it also retains the excellent timbre that JVC woodies are known for(which is still the best I've heard thus far!).

Totally happy with these...$300 well spent, no regrets at all. Happy listening : )

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #180 of 578
Just received my fx850s from Tenso yesterday. Unboxed, plugged them into my O2+ODAC/Galaxy S4...wow, this is all that I'd hoped for the fx700: wide soundstage, full, textured bass, forward, natural mids with plenty of detail. Treble is similar to the fx700- energetic with no apparent roll-off. Of course it also retains the excellent timbre that JVC woodies are known for(which is still the best I've heard thus far!).

Totally happy with these...$300 well spent, no regrets at all. Happy listening : )

Wow, great price! You must have jumped on them when they dropped to 28,xxx yen.

They jumped up to 35,800 a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back