JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Mar 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #137 of 578
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/wood/#intro

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #138 of 578
It's finally HERE and in my ears!!! And YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :etysmile:    This is how I dreamed (wished) the FX700 would have sounded like when I first had them. The bass sounds about as big as I remember in the FX700, but tighter and moe refined. The hot treble has been toned down some to my liking. I think the overall sound is a bit more refined. In freakin--- credible sound, but one that I was familiar with the FX700, but the FX850 takes it to the next level. And NO RECESSED MIDS!!  <<< my biggest gripe with the FX700. Wow wow wow!! Yes, I'm hyping them!! 

Now I happen to have the AS-2, and I think it keeps up with the FX850 with vocals (thinking this may change with the woodie burn-in), but the FX850 is otherwise ahead of the game. And I've heard no dynamic fast other than the TE-05. Huge wide sound! For $300 it's actually a BARGAIN fellas! If you can find it at $288 to $300 don't hesitate, but it's worth $400 easily in sound too. Happy listening indeed! 

And ooooh that timbre! Nothing else like it in an earphone.

I think the FX850 may actually have a bigger sound than the FX700.

This is an audiophile basshead's wet dream! I'm just saying.

You kinda sound like Dsnuts with your enthusiasm lol. Must be really good. What would you compare the sig too that's lower tiered than these? Also, how do they compare to DUNU-1ks and H3s?

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #139 of 578
You kinda sound like Dsnuts with your enthusiasm lol. Must be really good. What would you compare the sig too that's lower tiered than these? Also, how do they compare to DUNU-1ks and H3s?

Nothing has its timbre that I can think of. Some of the clarity and transparency of the TE-05 are bit familiar with the two, but sound sigs totally different. Will listen to the H3 later to compare. The DN-1000 doesn't come close in any way I can think of, but I don't have those anymore.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #140 of 578

gushy FX850 goodness

Yes! I knew the hype was much deserved. All it took was an announcement from JVC and I was SOLD- looks like all the shortcomings of the FX700 were addressed...it seems you nailed the differences between the two perfectly. Anyway, if anyone wants some impressions/comparisons I'll post them in a week or two when they arrive :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #141 of 578
Nothing has its timbre that I can think of. Some of the clarity and transparency of the TE-05 are bit familiar with the two, but sound sigs totally different. Will listen to the H3 later to compare. The DN-1000 doesn't come close in any way I can think of, but I don't have those anymore.

Thanks for your insight. These are definitely on my radar now.

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #143 of 578

To me, transparency not only implies clarity, but also an absence of major FR bumps and dips (i.e. coloring).

+1

I love neutral and transparent sounding. Everything just moves effortlessly with a breeze. It helps me to differentiate the mediocre recordings from the good ones. The source transparency is more critical as it can not be corrected by phones.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #144 of 578
  i see, should be somewhat identical to loose seal then, makes it like the ambriose tip Rin made a while back perhaps. I personally don't like how loose seal/tips like these tame bass, but ymmv. While covering the back vents may make the bass sound dull, that pinhole may make all the difference. 

FX850 "back vent" mod

#1 duct tape: Covering the back vent with a strip of duct tape and poking a pinhole with a needle results in significantly subdued / muffled bass. Even poking a second pinhole doesn't restore bass to sounding natural.

#2 band-aid: Covering the back vent with a strip of perforated band-aid has a more subtle effect than #1. Bass emphasis shifts towards sub-bass and overall bass level decreases by a few decibels. Bass sounds slightly more damped.

Conclusion: Equalizing aside, for those who feel the FX850 have too much bass, there are two ways to tame it with rather simple mods. I personally prefer front venting for its more natural dynamics and less damped sound. But I also agree with Inks that mileages will vary. The back vent mod results in more sub-bass emphasis as compared to mid/upper bass and I can see how some might prefer that (even at cost of some dynamics). However, I can also see how from an aesthetic point of view, covering the back vent may not be everybody's cup of tea.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #146 of 578
Why mod perfection :cry:

Because perfection is in the ear of the beholder.
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #148 of 578
  It's finally HERE and in my ears!!! And YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! 
etysmile.gif
   This is how I dreamed (wished) the FX700 would have sounded like when I first had them. The bass sounds about as big as I remember in the FX700, but tighter and moe refined. The hot treble has been toned down some to my liking. I think the overall sound is a bit more refined. In freakin--- credible sound, but one that I was familiar with the FX700, but the FX850 takes it to the next level. And NO RECESSED MIDS!!  <<< my biggest gripe with the FX700. Wow wow wow!! Yes, I'm hyping them!! 

Now I happen to have the AS-2, and I think it keeps up with the FX850 with vocals (thinking this may change with the woodie burn-in), but the FX850 is otherwise ahead of the game. And I've heard no dynamic fast other than the TE-05. Huge wide sound! For $300 it's actually a BARGAIN fellas! If you can find it at $288 to $300 don't hesitate, but it's worth $400 easily in sound too. Happy listening indeed! 

And ooooh that timbre! Nothing else like it in an earphone.

I think the FX850 may actually have a bigger sound than the FX700.

This is an audiophile basshead's wet dream! I'm just saying.

Hi EricP, if it's not a silly question, may I ask how you think the FX850 compare to the FXT90..?

When properly amped and bass-boosted I feel the FXT90 are pretty much perfect for my tastes - the thick meaty mids for metal guitars and vocals, deep hard hitting bass for electronics (that's still fast enough to keep up with metal bassdrums...) and enough treble to keep the whole sound nicely balanced. They have the speed my music requires, they are quite forgiving, very musical and I love the lifelike timbre on acoustic strings. Actually, I would be perfectly happy living with them if it weren't for the fact that I seem to be unable to retain that lovely sound. Especially on the move - if I lie or sit completely still they're fine. I blame the shallow insertion depth... I'm always fiddling with them to find that one sweetspot where they sound the way they should, but most of the time I am simply listening to a thin and tinny sound with recessed... everything. Maybe I just didn't find the right tips yet - even though I have tip-rolled the crap out of them - but by now I have pretty much given up.
frown.gif

Sooo.. I'm looking for a worthy replacement and I don't mind spending a bit (well, a lot) more. I have been eyeballing (earballing?) the FX700 but reading about those recessed mids - and fear of the same 'depth dependence' - kept me from actually considering them. With no recessed mids, and apparently brilliant tips, could the FX850 be the light at the end of tunnel for me..? You've actually already addressed most of the things I love about the FXT90 but an actual comparison could be really helpful...

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #149 of 578
i haven't heard the FXT90 in a long time, but base on memory there's really no way to compare the two. The 850 is lightyears ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back