JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
Dec 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #151 of 226

I said that earlier. The mids are recessed, and vocals are not right, even with deep burn in time.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #152 of 226
I said that earlier. The mids are recessed, and vocals are not right, even with deep burn in time.

I'm sorry if my previous post's phrasing sounded like I ignored your earlier posts.

Yup, you are one of the few who mentioned the weak mids.

And when I quoted you on how long you burned-in the fx40, I was actually borrowing your experience to share with the others how burning in wouldn't really improve the mids.

I agree with your opinions on the fx40
wink_face.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #153 of 226
For those who think its too bright. I agree burning in doesnt solve every problem alone. But dont give up just yet!

Try using Sony Hybrid tips, with a little shallow insertion. The tip has a smaller bore. You will hear male vocal is better, more forward and not favorising only the top end. The bass tightens up and slams even better. Great for faster music.
Its still a V shaped earphone, so dont expect the mids to compete with earphones in that category and be something its not.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #154 of 226
Hello gentlemen.

I wonder is this is still a good thing to buy, especially considering they're like $30 now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HAFX40&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHAFX40

Do you have any other recommendations to consider?

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #155 of 226
  Hello gentlemen.

I wonder is this is still a good thing to buy, especially considering they're like $30 now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HAFX40&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHAFX40

Do you have any other recommendations to consider?

Thanks.

Nope. There are just as good, if not better options out there for the same price, without having to burn them in for weeks, pick 100 different tips, and still never quite get over the carbon nanotube treble "smack". 

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #156 of 226
  Nope. There are just as good, if not better options out there for the same price, without having to burn them in for weeks, pick 100 different tips, and still never quite get over the carbon nanotube treble "smack". 

While I'm thankful for your answer, I was hoping for some examples. :)

I read about the Philips SHE3580, but I don't know whether there are better options, since you say there are better options for these as well. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #157 of 226
  While I'm thankful for your answer, I was hoping for some examples. :)

I read about the Philips SHE3580, but I don't know whether there are better options, since you say there are better options for these as well. Thanks.

well the SHE3580 is a competely different dinosaur. The bass is less punchy than the FX40, and might not dig as deep in sub bass either, but the mids are not recessed like the 40, and the highs are much much smoother, though the timbre isn't as natural as the 40. Still, they don't require as much burn in, sound way better out the box, and are more forgiving of bad masters/low bit rate files. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #158 of 226
  well the SHE3580 is a competely different dinosaur. The bass is less punchy than the FX40, and might not dig as deep in sub bass either, but the mids are not recessed like the 40, and the highs are much much smoother, though the timbre isn't as natural as the 40. Still, they don't require as much burn in, sound way better out the box, and are more forgiving of bad masters/low bit rate files. 

Thank you. Since you said there are better alternatives, can you name a few more so I can proceed to do an investigation?

By now I have these SONY MDR-EX10LP, which are in the same price range as the Philips, but these are horrible. They are even left-right disbalanced!

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #159 of 226
  Thank you. Since you said there are better alternatives, can you name a few more so I can proceed to do an investigation?

By now I have these SONY MDR-EX10LP, which are in the same price range as the Philips, but these are horrible. They are even left-right disbalanced!

the sennheiser cx200 has a punchy bass but not overpowering with quite clear mids and vocals. good all-rounder for around 30,

even better if you can find it around $15 on sale. if not, still a good buy. they sound quite similar except the cx200 has audible bass.

i do advise you to be careful though, since senn's apparently have bad strain relief (take real good care of em!)

the right earphone on my pair shorted out in 6 months. sending back for repair now.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #160 of 226
The Xiaomi Piston 2.0 Gold

Best under $50 IEM there is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Design-Xiaomi-Piston-Earphones-Gold-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-SG-POST-/181294614168?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item2a36004698

You won't regret it...ever. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #161 of 226
  The Xiaomi Piston 2.0 Gold

Best under $50 IEM there is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Design-Xiaomi-Piston-Earphones-Gold-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-SG-POST-/181294614168?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item2a36004698

You won't regret it...ever. 

I was just about to splash out on the fx40s but now I'm at a crossroad again.

Could you expand on the sound of the Pistons?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #162 of 226
Heed my warning and do not get these. They sound terrible. I read this thread believing the hype and now i've wasted 20 dollars :frowning2:. Nasty trebley sound you cant get rid of unless you eq and the vocals are distorted

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #163 of 226
Heed my warning and do not get these. They sound terrible. I read this thread believing the hype and now i've wasted 20 dollars
frown.gif
. Nasty trebley sound you cant get rid of unless you eq and the vocals are distorted

What are the bit rate of your music files?

Did you get a nice seal with the eartips you used? The type of eartips you use will also affect the sound signature.

Two things are for sure though: 

1) The fx40's trebles are indeed brighter than most budget IEMs, and might be unbearable for some. 

2) The vocals are thin and unnatural.

Just like you, the above two factors are issues which I also have with the fx40. 

From my experience, the fx40 isn't really terrible sounding overall. For certain music they can sound quite clear and enjoyable.

Its sound signature however, is just not my cup of tea, and I'm guessing that is same with you.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #164 of 226
What are the bit rate of your music files?

Did you get a nice seal with the eartips you used? The type of eartips you use will also affect the sound signature.

Two things are for sure though: 

1) The fx40's trebles are indeed brighter than most budget IEMs, and might be unbearable for some. 

2) The vocals are thin and unnatural.

Just like you, the above two factors are issues which I also have with the fx40. 

From my experience, the fx40 isn't really terrible sounding overall. For certain music they can sound quite clear and enjoyable.

Its sound signature however, is just not my cup of tea, and I'm guessing that is same with you.

320kbps only and i used the stock silicon ones at first but switched to foam which helped tone down the treble a bit. One thing to also note is that the bass is weak and doesnt pop out. It stays in the back.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #165 of 226
320kbps only and i used the stock silicon ones at first but switched to foam which helped tone down the treble a bit. One thing to also note is that the bass is weak and doesnt pop out. It stays in the back.

I'm thinking you may have a defective set or aren't getting a good seal. You sound like you know your way around IEMs, so I'm leaning towards defective. What you are describing is not what I'm hearing.

That being said, they aren't for everyone. Even after burn in which tames the treble tremendously, they may be to aggressive. Someone earlier mentioned the Pistons. They have been getting great reviews. Here is a site to order them from. They are authorized so you won't get a fake. Some of the eBay ones have turned out to be fakes. And the are $21 on the site with free shipping.

www.ibuyguo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back