JVC HA-FX1X Xtreme Xplosive Impressions
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #93 of 359
Ok so I just received my headphones today (FX!X). Overall they are good. The bass is really deep. Sometimes the depth of the bass interferes with the clarity of the music. They sound great with dubstep and all other electronic music. Overall, for the price they are some great headphones.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #94 of 359

Quote:
Ok so I just received my headphones today (FX!X). Overall they are good. The bass is really deep. Sometimes the depth of the bass interferes with the clarity of the music. They sound great with dubstep and all other electronic music. Overall, for the price they are some great headphones.

I'm glad you're happy with them, I'm still waiting on mine. it's going on three weeks now. At least I keep hearing good things about them, nothing real negative. "Deep bass" "Dubstep" "Electronic" music are the words I want to hear. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #95 of 359
I just bought some. Thanks to everyone in this thread. Not many talked about the soundstage though, but at £18 I'm willing to risk it compared to the £35 for SoundMAGIC E10s which I was very tempted by.

The CKS77s were awfully tempting but at £59 out of my current budget. I've been a big fan of AT for so long since my CK7s which I loved.
However, a lot of my Audio Technica have lost sound in the left ear, mostly due to my carelessness.

Now I need cheap and resilient; a lot of Amazon reviewers talked of the thick cable and I need this in my life I believe!
A lot of mention of Dubstep in here. One set of headphones which I use that handle Dubstep beautifully are my £25 Philips SHL8800 (see avatar with customised caps) and I wanted bass to match but also treble and mids that were better than the disappointing CKS50 set I had.

Fingers crossed, these seem to be a good choice for me - love the case - will help keep them protected I'm sure! :)

Also, 303 reviews on Amazon UK with a 4.5/5 average... Can't go wrong no?

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #96 of 359
After readin this thread, I went to get a set of these at Fry's for $29. They are not broke in yet. And I've already

Put away my Klipsch s4's, Beats tours, and Powerbeats. I only have these now just for my collection. I won't be negative and sound like a hatin crybaby.

The bass and SQ that I get from the JVC Explosives, is what I was wanting and expecting from the earbuds I purchased above. I'll at least say that much.

Thank you, to the thread starter. I can't stop listening to these.

JVC continues to be underrated.  

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #97 of 359
The new JVC HAFX101 looks very interesting. It is under $20. While it has an 8.5mm driver vs 10mm for the HAFX1X, it looks like it still may be very good. Imo the bass on the HAFX1X doesn't sound natural. I also have trouble getting a good seal with it. I tried several tips. since the HAFX101 looks smaller, I think it might fit me better.

http://www.headphonezone.com/news/jvc/jvc-announces-hafr201-hafx101-xtreme-xplosives.htm

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #98 of 359
The JVC HA-FX1X have a lot of bass for sure but they seem to sound a little cloudy too.  The mids are not as clear as I'm used to hearing on other earphones.  Still not bad for the price.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #100 of 359
Mine arrived today, and while the bass is strong for it's price I can't say it's better then SoundMAGIC E10's low end which I read in previous pages, It's close but sounds artificial right now. It certainly has boom! The mids are cloudy also as above I'm used to clearer trebles (remember this is out of the box) Still, for the price I'm not complaining, worth checking out if you're on a tight budget, I'll let them burn in and see how they go.

Oh, if you have different tips change them right away, the stock ones are terrible.

Edit: 

I'm about four hours into the first burn in session and, whatcha know? these things are opening up as mentioned. Treble has began popping out everything's pulling together a little more evenly. Bass has firmed up somewhat, mids seems to be showing their face losing that cloud effect they had over them. Overall at this point what seemed messy at first is becoming more enjoyable.

I'll leave them over night, if things keep going like this these will be decent muck around IEM's

Oh yeah, love the cable, I wish others made cables like these, it's all but tangle free.

Edit: 2

Have now burned in for around 30 hours these have changed dramatically sounding like a completely different IEM. Bass is solid and very deep, that harsh feeling the muffled trebles had has all but gone. Mids are sitting in place fairly settled, they really do sound better. I'd recommend them for sure.

I'll put another 30 hours on them from here. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #101 of 359

Quote:
Mine arrived today, and while the bass is strong for it's price I can't say it's better then SoundMAGIC E10's low end which I read in previous pages, It's close but sounds artificial right now. It certainly has boom! The mids are cloudy also as above I'm used to clearer trebles (remember this is out of the box) Still, for the price I'm not complaining, worth checking out if you're on a tight budget, I'll let them burn in and see how they go.

Oh, if you have different tips change them right away, the stock ones are terrible.

Edit: 

I'm about four hours into the first burn in session and, whatcha know? these things are opening up as mentioned. Treble has began popping out everything's pulling together a little more evenly. Bass has firmed up somewhat, mids seems to be showing their face losing that cloud effect they had over them. Overall at this point what seemed messy at first is becoming more enjoyable.

I'll leave them over night, if things keep going like this these will be decent muck around IEM's

Oh yeah, love the cable, I wish others made cables like these, it's all but tangle free.

Edit: 2

Have now burned in for around 30 hours these have changed dramatically sounding like a completely different IEM. Bass is solid and very deep, that harsh feeling the muffled trebles had has all but gone. Mids are sitting in place fairly settled, they really do sound better. I'd recommend them for sure.

I'll put another 30 hours on them from here. 

So far I'm on the same page... Except hours behind - I'm in about 3 hours usage so far, and I get exactly what you're saying.
That being said, the instrument separation is still not bad in most cases and soundstage is not as narrow I was worried it would be :)

A lot of potential here and I'm waiting for them to open up - EQing the trebles and mids in still isn't quite as comfortable to listen to as I believe these will eventually be.
The bass is ridiculously deep  and more competent than I would have imagined. I also found I like wearing these over as well as down depending on my needs - worn over they protrude less.
I like that every beat is controlled, if a little boomy.  I am also hearing some details in songs I hadn't noticed before and I hope this remains once they open up.

Roll on lunchtime for more listening :)

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #102 of 359
Okay, 4-6 hours they started opening up, but trebles are sounding a little harsh. A little tweaking to the EQ fixed this, but I found out something fantastic.
They make my Samsung Galaxy SII (Classic, Music Clarity) sound better than it has with other headphones. Again, picking up more details and the bass is still controlled and strong but no longer boomy.

A note on durability: ~ 7-8 hours in now and already they have suffered an accident. They were plugged into my desktop PC at work and fell to the floor unbeknownst to me.
One of the ear pieces got stuck in the chair's wheel and the tip came off.  I moved the chair back by mistake trying to find where it had fallen and noticed this as it pulled the cable out of the jack.

Unsticking this, replacing the cable in the jack and the tip on the earphone, I tried it, and all was well. Phew. The cables took the stress, the rubber behind the earpiece protected the overall unit, but it scared me...!

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #103 of 359
Lol. Ya the FX1X is build very well. I strongly suggest some serious burn in for the phones to sound correct. I would suggest a minimum of 50 hours. Take a listen after a few days of burn in and you will be surprised. The sound becomes so much better..

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #104 of 359

Quote:
Lol. Ya the FX1X is build very well. I strongly suggest some serious burn in for the phones to sound correct. I would suggest a minimum of 50 hours. Take a listen after a few days of burn in and you will be surprised. The sound becomes so much better..

Still listening and every few days modifying EQ as new properties on these open up every day.

Have got to say one thing. These are sounding closer to my CK7s now than anything else I have heard. I miss those CK7s but these are bringing out details I had forgotten about with other headphones.  Fun is definitely key to these, not accuracy, but still, I'm hearing things I never noticed before.  The bass doesn't cloud the overall sound when managed properly but it is unbelievably capable.  In addition Wu-Tang Clan's album Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) was always sonically... gritty, lets say... and bass ran rampant... bit more clarity with these and I'm enjoying listening to it (it's an album I listen to almost weekly anyway).

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #105 of 359
So I am wondering when JVC will bring out their newest The HAFX3X.  It looks like these are Japan only for now but can be bought on ebay for around 60ish. I am wondering if these newer versions will have more refinements. Would be worth the money for sure if so.

In the mean while if anyone here is looking for a high end bassy earphone that would be a clear upgrade to these HAFX1X.. Try out a ATH-CKS77. Just unbelievable how great they are..

I know we are talking about a $100 earphone vs a $25 one but.. I know many of you guys are like me and are always looking for the upgrade..

Let me put it this way.. The CKS77 beat up on my Monster Miles Davis Tributes in over all sound quality while destroying it in bass, stage, balance, and detail.. That is a $300 earphone vs a $100 one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back