JVC HA-FX1X Xtreme Xplosive Impressions
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 359

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=12pt]      [/size]

[size=12pt]Well, took delivery of the JVC HA-FX1X (Xtreme Xplosive).  How can this iem for about $20 not have too much love here?  There are many different ones that get mentioned all the time (MEE, I’m looking at you)….lol….Not knocking MEE, I own the A151, CC51, SP-51, M9 & M6…But I just can’t believe it does not get mentioned at all.  Other than a few head-fiers that recommend them and they keep on writing great things about them.  It may be the name I guess (pretty long and numbers and letters and too many XXXs). The bass too powerful…?[/size]

[size=12pt]Don’t know, but I pulled the trigger on these bad boys….[/size]

[size=12pt]Couple of things to mention before I get into the sound:[/size]

[size=12pt]Cable: Sturdy, straight & very manageable (does not tangle).  (SoundMAGIC, please look at these cables).[/size]

[size=12pt]Fit: Very comfortable.  Using the stock tips that were on the phones.  Just pull my ear up and insert.. bada bing, perfect seal…[/size]

[size=12pt]Isolation: Outstanding…Was running around the house doing some things and when I did the dishes, I turned on the food disposal in the sink and could not hear it…Thought it was broken until I saw the water go down.[/size]

[size=12pt]Sound: 
eek.gif
…..Upon first cranking them up my first impression was like a large sign that read “I’m here, I’m big…Can you handle it?”  It reminded me of when I first put my PRO900s on my head for the first time.  [/size]

[size=12pt]A couple of my DAPs I have with single tracks on shuffle all the time- House, Trance, Hip-Hop, Metal, Rock etc…A nice little mix of things…Grabbed my Shuffle and hit play and first up was KoRn’s “Here To Stay”….I was definitely not ready for that entry…Deep, impactful, extended bass.  I could not believe these phones would produce this depth.  Some phones distort with that bass entry on higher volume levels, but the XXs took it and asked for more….The mids and highs were not far behind.  It was like they were saying to the bass “enough of this thumpin’ and here, take some smoothness and sparkle to even you out”.  [/size]

[size=12pt]Highs are shimmering, mids are coming out to play and you have this bass all inside your head that just brings a smile to your face.  You are looking forward to that kick drum or bassline to hit…..Very, very fun phone…[/size]

[size=12pt]J-Lo & Lil’ Wayne (I’m Into You), Pitbull & T-Pain (Hey Baby) were getting down, deep and dirty with the XXs.  As well as AVB (Sail) & Rank 1 (Such Is Life, Airwave), Delerium ft. Sarah (Silence- Sanctuary Mix)….[/size]

[size=12pt]I knew hip-hop and edm were going to love these phones but if you were to tell me that metal and rock was going to get a kick out of them too, I would not believe it.  There is no way with all this bass can these buggers have speed as well….[/size]

[size=12pt]Right now Meshuggah’s “Bleed” is all in my head and it’s slammin’ without missing a grind or beat.  Put them to the test with a little blast beat action (Opeth- Lotus Eater) and they held up their end nicely.  Alter Bridge’s “Find The Real” with the drums and the guitars is just sick, I tell you…[/size]

[size=12pt]Other high points and “wow” moments in no particular order (there were many)-  Mega’s “Tornado Of Souls”, “The Scorpion”, Opeth- “Baying Of The Hounds”, “Ghost Of Perdition”…With all the activity going on, the JVCs don’t miss a beat.  Vocals (or growls…lol) are in the forefront and don’t get crowded by the delicious beats.[/size]

[size=12pt]For under $20, I am definitely impressed that this much fun can be had.  If you love bass, beats, kick drums etc. then these are for you.  If you are into the analytical or neutral side of things, these will not be your cup of tea.  [/size]

[size=12pt]They will definitely put some rump in your hump….Good times!!![/size]

[size=12pt][/size]

[size=12pt][/size]

[size=12pt][/size]

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 359
I like the E10s very much.  Two different animals though.  The E10s have great clarity, nice bass punch and better overall balanced presentation.  IIRC, you said you wanted more bass than the M9s.  Never heard them, but the general consensus is that they are bass heavy.  If you want more bass, I'm guessing the XXs will rock it indeed....

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 359
Yes indeed...The XXs give new meaning to bass heavy iems...If I switch back and forth quickly from the E10s & XXs, the E10s sound like K701s....lol....

Again, they are a very fun set, but when I switch to my others, I have a "cooling" down period from the XXs to get my pulse rate back to normal....When I take the XXs to the gym, and all that energy expended plus that sound in my ears, my cooling down period is at least a day...lol...
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 359
What's the clarity on these like? They're a bit pricier in the UK at £20 though whereas I could get some Xears for £30. I do like some bass but I love clarity and vocals the most, what would suit me more you reckon? I listen to K-Pop, C-pop, K-pop, J-Rock and a bit of everything from English music.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 359

Quote:
what kind of accessories do they include?

Hi Majin,

Just the carrying case I pictured.  3 sets of tips (S, M, L)

Quote:
What's the clarity on these like? They're a bit pricier in the UK at £20 though whereas I could get some Xears for £30. I do like some bass but I love clarity and vocals the most, what would suit me more you reckon? I listen to K-Pop, C-pop, K-pop, J-Rock and a bit of everything from English music.

Hi Ulti,

I see you on the Xears thread and know you like your Xears as well as I do.  The clarity does suffer a bit on these sometimes due to the extensive bass.  For clarity, I like the XGF500s better.

Quote:
I'll be getting them hopefully by next weekend. I can compare them to Meelec M6, M9 and Shure 750DJ full cans.

Hi impruv,

Would love to hear what you think especially compared to the M6 & M9.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 359
I can't say I'm an audiophile, so I won't be able to describe it to anyone perfectly. I listen to dubstep/house/hiphop/r&b mostly. For these, I prefer the JVCs over the m9/m6/m11. They bass is much more impactful, feels deeper(?) . The mids and highs are clearer than the m9s and are about the same as m11s. I guess you would say m6 has a more 'balanced' sound if I'm not mistaken.
I also prefer these over the Klipsch S4 as well. So for the $14 I got them for, or what seems like around $20 on amazon, they are a steal.

Give me another week or so and I'll let you know how they compare to 750DJ's ... haha

But note: I have yet to burn them in.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 359
I've got a pair of DUNU Tridents coming (today hopefully) and I've also ordered the on-ear earphones JVC HA-S4X. These are going to be in stock on Play.com in the UK at 18 GBP and that's when I'll grab a pair, not really interested in paying more than 20 GBP for these!

I did notice that people say these IEMs are much better than the JVC HA-S4X and JVC HA-M5X. I got the JVC HA-S4X for 22 GBP so even if they sound terrible I won't be crying over them, I want to give on-ears a chance anyway as I bought my gf some ATH-SJ11 and they are actually comfy and in a blind sound test the SQ isn't that bad and they only cost me 23 GBP too.

I'm hoping the DUNU Tridents will be what I like as I like their design and I've heard good things about their isolation, but if I get these for the journey into London each day, I'm sure it'll wake me up and prevent me from falling asleep haha. I hope these don't sound too much like the Xears XSR330PRO though.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 359
I've got mine and the bass is great and all but I feel it's much more muddy than listed above. I haven't burnt mine yet though and I don't really plan to. I do love their isolation, and perhaps inline with Joker's reviews I'd rate it 3.5/5 for isolation, they don't seem to isolate much when there isn't music playing though so they may be vented. It does talk about a bass port or something on the manual pointing at the back of the earphones.

They're very, very easy to drive and you can get a good seal with these very easily I feel. I've used foamies, shallow triple flanges as well as the regular tips and they all give me a good seal.

The cable is quite thick so it doesn't pick up as much microphonics but it does exist. I am wearing them down by the way as I am not a fan of over ear as it takes a bit more time to get a perfect/better fit IMO. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 359
You bought them Ulti.  IIRC, you are the trainman in the London underground that needed good isolation?  Maybe I'm wrong?  I have not changed tips and wear them straight down as well.  I quoted above that the clarity does suffer a bit due to the delicious bass, though.

Welcome to the thumpin' bass club sir...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back