JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #91 of 428
@audionewbi: Thank you for your information - sadly in Europe the cheapest T8ieMKII costs EUR 825,-
Importing from Japan including customs and fees will be EUR 700,-
So in Europe it is not really a bargain

How would you compare the resolution of both?

All listening made using Ti Nozzle:

On initial listen FD-01 certainly has a more transparent and revealing sound but if I was to say it has more of a resolution (in terms of details) to me they both extend quiet far in both side of frequency. I find the first of MKII easier to get right and for me comfort still goes to MkII however FD-01 seems to be more transparent. Treble reminds me slightly of Ortofon EQ-8 however not as dry. It has a moderate depth and slightly above average width and as a result certain things in mix stand out more than others.
Cymbals for instances are never sibilant however they stand out more than other instruments, and compared to EM5813 where cymbals shimmer are in the background, with FD-01 is has more of a present. (Bear in mind I have made this observation using the Ti Nozzle).

I wasn't expecting the Nozzle to make such a difference but they do, I hopefully get a chance to do a freq sweep using different nozzle and report back what exactly those nozzle change.

If I could have a wish it would be to have an improve fit. I think I might look into after makert silicon custom tips.

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #92 of 428
for the price even with custom cables and silicon tips they seem they would rival iems of a higher tier in price. Looks like JVC did there homework with this one.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #94 of 428
I'm torn between buying these or the FW01. My preferred music listening style is heavy metal and 80s rock. I like the other wood JVC IEMs, but these are newer and the ability to change nozzles seems like a plus when listening to different types of music. Any suggestions? I'm also open to other IEMs below $600.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #96 of 428
FW01 isnt for rock. If you like rock certainly get the FD01. FW01 is for a particular audience and rock listener will certainly not be it.
Why so, I listen mostly to rock(tool, the beatles, lennon, ac\dc, guns n roses, pantera,toto, pink floyd, queen etc) and love my JVC FW01, sometimes the bass could be a bit less but otherwise, the timbre lends itself real good to any genre and mids and highs are on point and clear. As I said only reason not to chose woodies is bass, even then it is not something like senheiser's bass where you feel it overshadows everything else.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #97 of 428
Why so, I listen mostly to rock(tool, the beatles, lennon, ac\dc, guns n roses, pantera,toto, pink floyd, queen etc) and love my JVC FW01, sometimes the bass could be a bit less but otherwise, the timbre lends itself real good to any genre and mids and highs are on point and clear. As I said only reason not to chose woodies is bass, even then it is not something like senheiser's bass where you feel it overshadows everything else.

LOL now I'm thinking the FW01 is what I should go for. I have other IEMs and headphones and many are more expensive, but I listen to my fx1100 a lot because of the timbre. I really like dynamic driver bass sound and the woodies have a unique signature that I just like. Maybe I'll get both since I really like JVC sound, but I haven't bought anything in a year and you know how it is. You just want something new. I am also considering the sony z5 and dunu 3001. I have the CA dorado and love the bass, but it's too expensive to wear outside of the house and I listen to a lot of music at the gym or in bed and can't use regular headphones or my gf will wake up. The FD01 with copper sounds like what I'm looking for, but maybe lacking a little bass from what I've read. Maybe I can live with it as I own mostly bass heavy IEMs and headphones and could use something different.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #98 of 428
I was much like you in that i loved bass so much i considered myself a bass head and used gear that did this well. Now when i got a nice pair of CIEMs i discovered bass clarity and vastly perfered it. Youd be surprized what clear articulate detailed bass when done right does for your personal preferences you never know you might like that more.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #99 of 428
Ok I have around 150+ hours of usage on FD-01 and some free time this weekend. I will put the FD01 under my normal test and report back. The only thing I'm certain at this stage is I would have liked a larger soundstage with the same level of Isolation Cardas provide.
Lately I have been spending more and more time with the EM5813, and it is certainly the most coloured and rolled off IEM out there but the soundstage is very holographic and it isolates very well. If only there was a way to keep the same soundstage, add a bit of FD-01 transparency, it would be a winner. For those who collect dynamic driver please give the EM5813 a try, it is one of those IEM like the Piano Forte line of Final audio which requires an certain level of enthusiasm.

But after speaking of few DIYers they told me making treble to stand out less will create such a soundstage.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #100 of 428
LOL now I'm thinking the FW01 is what I should go for. I have other IEMs and headphones and many are more expensive, but I listen to my fx1100 a lot because of the timbre. I really like dynamic driver bass sound and the woodies have a unique signature that I just like. Maybe I'll get both since I really like JVC sound, but I haven't bought anything in a year and you know how it is. You just want something new. I am also considering the sony z5 and dunu 3001. I have the CA dorado and love the bass, but it's too expensive to wear outside of the house and I listen to a lot of music at the gym or in bed and can't use regular headphones or my gf will wake up. The FD01 with copper sounds like what I'm looking for, but maybe lacking a little bass from what I've read. Maybe I can live with it as I own mostly bass heavy IEMs and headphones and could use something different.

I have Dorado and FD02. And I love both of them. Dorado is more V-shaped while FD02 has a stronger presence at mid. Both share good separation and clarity. Since you already have some bassy IEMS, I think FD01 would be a good addition.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #101 of 428
Any more word on impressions on the FD-01 and FD-02s?

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #103 of 428
I've spent sometimes with both FD01 and FW01 and to be honest I like the sound of FW01 more than FD01. First to me alot more work has been put int FW01 construction.
Side by side FW01 come across as a better built unit.

Soundwise FW01 sound has a particular warmth that if one love they simply cannot find a substitute. FD01 sounds is leaner, faster and more accurate whereas FW01 is warmer and fuller with a midrange that just isnt there with FD01.

FD01 is much smaller than FW01 but to be they both can be bit tricky to get the fit right, but FD01 is easier to get right.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #104 of 428
5158B4F6-ECE2-4D9F-8FE3-68391DD3A1E9.jpeg
43E7A32D-D1FF-43C6-8D24-30221F602B09.jpeg Just gotten it. Seems like the driver can be use interchangeably. Both can be either L/R. Correct me if I am wrong.
Ootb sounds really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back