jvc fx750 appreciation thread
Apr 25, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #31 of 50
I never really believed in the concept of burn-in for headphones and speakers per se but rather that one simply acclimates to the different sound signature produced by a new pair of headphones or speakers. Well, that was up until now...

I have been completely god-smacked by these new JVC HA-FX750s I bought over a month ago. The detail and timbre has been monstrous (as well as, the bass) and the comfort... oh, the comfort.

Any way, after about forty hours of usage, I was listening one night and sat up shocked by some very noticeable and new details I was hearing in a song that I did not hear (nor have played) since the day I bought them. The only way I can explain it is that the FX750s must have cleared up and/or settled down since I have purchased them?!

I made a few more comparisons and discovered one other song with those very apparent extra details. Even more interesting is that I am listening at a volume lower than when I first purchased the FX750s and even from what I usually listen at with my SE535s!

As much as psychological acclimation (getting used to a certain sound) could still be an explanation for what I am experiencing with my JVC HA-FX750s it seems to me more likely there really has been a physical and audible change???

Now my Shure SE535LTS-Js they never changed in the way that they sound... the sound signature has remained exactly the same since Day One. Could it be that the FX750s are dynamic driven and the Shures are balanced armature driven?

By the way the two songs were Emmylou Harris's Goodbye (from the Wrecking Ball album) and Fritz Reiner's 1954 CSO version of Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Sunrise.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #32 of 50
Any suggestions on a full size headphone that resembles the sound signature of the JVC HA FX750?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #35 of 50
Would be interested in hearing which portable AMP and/or DAC has improved the sound out of their 750s.
Would be interested in hearing which portable AMP and/or DAC has improved the sound out of their 750s.
my two favourite amps are the pico portable & the RSA p-51 mustang. Both really open up the dynamics of the 750. These are my favourite earphones. Cheers

May 1, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #36 of 50
my two favourite amps are the pico portable & the RSA p-51 mustang. Both really open up the dynamics of the 750. These are my favourite earphones. Cheers

I have seriously considered the HeadAmp Pico Portable as well as the Oppo HA-2 but these days I find myself extremely leery of and even hesitant about hi-end audio ever since my wife dragged me to Bangkok last year to audition and buy a A&K 120ii DAP... what a grand disappointment that was as I so did want to have one but upon demoing I truthfully could not ascertain any difference, except for volume/loudness, when comparing with my iPhone using my Shure SE535LTD-Js.  I was shocked; even the UI was not what I expected of such a high-end item.  I simply could not justify spending the money for just a beautifully finished/looking component.  Later I demoed (for three days) a pair of late 2014 model Shure SE846s... they were uncomfortable to wear due to their slightly larger casing design and shape (I have small ears) and I could not hear/detect any discernible difference or improved sound over my Shure SE535LTD-Js which again really surprised me as they are twice the price and especially after all hype over 'em.  Then finally, more recently (just over a month ago), when I went to buy a pair of JVC HA-FX1200s (again due to rave reviews) to only find myself not liking them at all and I ended up buying the 750s at half the price instead!

Now I do have hearing damage so that may be dramatically effecting my ability to appreciate higher end audio and flagship products or it just might be my personal taste.

With that said how exactly do you think those two amps are opening the dynamics of highly efficient 16 ohm / 105 dB iems?  What should I be listening for exactly when I demo portable amps when I get back home here shortly besides of course volume/loudness which honestly is not a problem for me currently as I am getting plenty of volume straight from my iPhone 5 and Neutron Player.  I really would appreciate your experience, opinion, and insight on this as I am still a novice audiophile.  Respects.

May 1, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 50
I have seriously considered the HeadAmp Pico Portable as well as the Oppo HA-2 but these days I find myself extremely leery of and even hesitant about hi-end audio ever since my wife dragged me to Bangkok last year to audition and buy a A&K 120ii DAP... what a grand disappointment that was as I so did want to have one but upon demoing I truthfully could not ascertain any difference, except for volume/loudness, when comparing with my iPhone using my Shure SE535LTD-Js.  I was shocked; even the UI was not what I expected of such a high-end item.  I simply could not justify spending the money for just a beautifully finished/looking component.  Later I demoed (for three days) a pair of late 2014 model Shure SE846s...
 they were uncomfortable to wear due to their slightly larger casing design and shape (I have small ears) and I could not hear/detect any discernible difference or improved sound over my Shure SE535LTD-Js which again really surprised me as they are twice the price and especially after all hype over 'em.  Then finally, more recently (just over a month ago), when I went to buy a pair of JVC HA-FX1200s (again due to rave reviews) to only find myself not liking them at all and I ended up buying the 750s at half the price instead!

Now I do have hearing damage so that may be dramatically effecting my ability to appreciate higher end audio and flagship products or it just might be my personal taste.

With that said how exactly do you think those two amps are opening the dynamics of highly efficient 16 ohm / 105 dB iems?  What should I be listening for exactly when I demo portable amps when I get back home here shortly besides of course volume/loudness which honestly is not a problem for me currently as I am getting plenty of volume straight from my iPhone 5 and Neutron Player.  I really would appreciate your experience, opinion, and insight on this as I am still a novice audiophile.  Respects.
i was skeptical as you were and I took a chance first with the pico portable. Justin at headlamp was great to deal with but when I got the I was amazed at the difference that amp made. The dynamics, transparency, & imaging was incredible. First I sold all my sub $100 amps then shortly after got a real good deal on the p51 mustang from a fellow head-fier. Another fantastic amp. Lastly I got with cesar at portaphile and purchased a 627 micro. That amp is fantastic. Drives anything from iems to 300 ohm senns. To my hifi
man planars. You don't know what your missing until you pull the trigger on one of those amps. Cheers

May 4, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #38 of 50
  I never really believed in the concept of burn-in for headphones and speakers per se but rather that one simply acclimates to the different sound signature produced by a new pair of headphones or speakers. Well, that was up until now...

I have been completely god-smacked by these new JVC HA-FX750s I bought over a month ago. The detail and timbre has been monstrous (as well as, the bass) and the comfort... oh, the comfort.

Any way, after about forty hours of usage, I was listening one night and sat up shocked by some very noticeable and new details I was hearing in a song that I did not hear (nor have played) since the day I bought them. The only way I can explain it is that the FX750s must have cleared up and/or settled down since I have purchased them?!

I made a few more comparisons and discovered one other song with those very apparent extra details. Even more interesting is that I am listening at a volume lower than when I first purchased the FX750s and even from what I usually listen at with my SE535s!

As much as psychological acclimation (getting used to a certain sound) could still be an explanation for what I am experiencing with my JVC HA-FX750s it seems to me more likely there really has been a physical and audible change???

Now my Shure SE535LTS-Js they never changed in the way that they sound... the sound signature has remained exactly the same since Day One. Could it be that the FX750s are dynamic driven and the Shures are balanced armature driven?

By the way the two songs were Emmylou Harris's Goodbye (from the Wrecking Ball album) and Fritz Reiner's 1954 CSO version of Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Sunrise.

Well... color me stupid.  I take back the many years of dismissive nay-saying regarding audiophile gear "burn-in".  These IEMs have most definitely changed in the past 70+ hours since buying them and have clearly "settled down" and "opened up".  Thankfully for the better; they sound awesome!  I definitely am hearing more bass clarity and separation on many of my reference recordings:

~ Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Sunrise
~ Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
~ Desplat's Birth: Prologue
~ Rammstein's Mein Herz Brennt
~ Daft Punk's Tron; Legacy: Sea of Simulation

In fact, I had noticed in the first hour of using them a few slight distortions in the bass at some of the challenging (dynamically) sections of Desplat's Birth: Prologue (at 01:34 and starting at 2:33 until the finale of the drum roll)... these sections are now crystal clear even if I add lower band width EQ and/or increase volume.

Can't wait til I go home next week so I can try the Comply T400s and Ts400s waiting for me in the mail.  Also, looking forward to testing some portable headphone AMPS/DACs as well... I am hoping it will be a better experience than the A&K 120ii fiasco and the Fiio E5 portable amp I tried the day before yesterday... yikes!  The Fiio E5 actually sounded worse when hooked up to either my iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S4 when paired with my FX750s.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #39 of 50
Glad to say that I'm hopping into this boat. Just waiting for Mr TRANCE to mail me his pair. What tips do you guys recommend?

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #40 of 50
Glad to say that I'm hopping into this boat. Just waiting for Mr TRANCE to mail me his pair. What tips do you guys recommend?
I get good results with the medium tips that came with them. Also the jvc spin-fit tips work very well.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #43 of 50
Hey peeps - thank you for the overall impressions. I'm currently using the supplied stock tips (small since it lessens the bass for me). I'm just using these with poweramp on my sgs4 with a little eq/cut on the bass and they sound fantastic!!!

I'm coming from the dunu dn2000 which is well regarded by other headfi'ers but I think these sound more natural because of the realistic timbre/harmonics/decay.

I can definitely tell that the hybrids struggle because of the nature of the ba sound sig. Cymbal bells sound great. Drum bass kicks thump real good. Electric bass provide that wonderful thump! Mids are just right.

Anyhow off for more burning and music'ing. These are definitely fun sounding fines with some good realism to bite!

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #45 of 50
Is that so ? I am still trying to find more impressions on the 850 and 1100 still. I know both of them are bigger in size, but as sound quality ? It leaves me wonder.

Fx750 graph

Fx850 graph

There is no fx1100 graph available yet. But there are the differences between 750-850 above

Can you post or send me the link to the fx750 graph? When I go to the goldenear site it only shows the fx850.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back