JVC FX700 thoughts...
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

barid

500+ Head-Fier
So, I just received a pair of these JVC FX700's today and I'm putting them through the paces.  Listening through my iphone 3gs and my burson; rock/indie/classical music.

Have to say; quite underwhelmed with what I've heard thus far.  As always I'll reserve final judgement for about a week or two of listening but:

My initial thought here, is that these are a worse version of the IE8.  These things sound muffled as hell, this is like a sennheiser 'veil' x2, especially on the treble.  Bass seams boomy and not tight, detail and soundstage is decent, but nothing to write home about.

Prior to getting a pair of these I read a lot of positive impressions, but I'm kind of shaking my head at the moment.  They sound ok...but compared to um3x / w3 / ie8 / eq5 /ex600, I'm just not hearing any standout characteristics.  I think it's the vocal presentation that really bothering me....seams muffled and far away in the mix.

Wondering if anyone else shares these thoughts.....or you can just post to tell me how wrong I am:)  Hopefully some time with them changes my opinion....

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 27

Quote:
These things sound muffled as hell, this is like a sennheiser 'veil' x2, especially on the trebleBass seams boomy and not tight, detail and soundstage is decent, but nothing to write home about.

Prior to getting a pair of these I read a lot of positive impressions, but I'm kind of shaking my head at the moment.  They sound ok...but compared to um3x / w3 / ie8 / eq5 /ex600, I'm just not hearing any standout characteristics.  I think it's the vocal presentation that really bothering me....seams muffled and far away in the mix.

Wondering if anyone else shares these thoughts.....or you can just post to tell me how wrong I am:)  Hopefully some time with them changes my opinion....

There is absolutely no veil, especially on the treble in my experience with them. The treble should be sparkly and have lots of energy. I also don't find the bass boomy, but let them burn in for at least 50 hours and see how they change if they do at all. The soundstage should be quite big, at least on par if not bigger than all your other phones other than maybe the ie8. 

You're right in that the vocal presentation is really far away, but they are not muffled. The FX700 has a v-shape response and I definitely hear mids as recessed. 

I remember a couple months ago someone was also hearing the FX700 different from most head-fiers, and they ended up putting them in a moisture removal case for days, which did wonders to what he was hearing.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 27
Take a look at the largest FX700 thread on head-fi (the one with the words easter bunny). 

This is the situation I was referring to in my previous post, starting with his initial impressions here, then James sent his pair of the FX700 to him to compare and he got this. If you just keep reading past that post, you may find some helpful information. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 27

Quote:

I'm very disappointed with the JVC FX500 which I acquired a week or two ago, I think I will try to review it today or tomorrow.

It's pretty close to the FX700 I think, same driver and smaller enclosure or something.

I've never heard the FX500, but as the flagship, I can only assume that the FX700 are better than the FX500. What did you find disappointing about it? 

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 27
Burn-in is highly needed, as with most big dynamic driver IEMs.
Bass will develop into a phenomenal beast, with more impact and less bleeding into the mids than IE8.

And honestly treble-wise, FX700 is completely cristalline, with no veil, amazing extension, from far the best treble I've heard to render cymbals in all the IEMs I had. Also a beauty with female voices, but don't expect forward vocal presentation.

I had IE8 for a while, and even with plenty of burn-in, the lower mids hump was making a mess with the bass, and treble were just nice and laid-back, nothing special. The cathedral soundstage was certainly nice with classical music, but for rock/metal, FX700 were so much better.

2 different sound presentations overall. To me, it's the IE8 which has nothing to be excited about... but it's a matter of taste as always...

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
2 different sound presentations overall. To me, it's the IE8 which has nothing to be excited about... but it's a matter of taste as always...

:frowning2:  The IE8 is my favorite I've heard so far.  I keep coming back to it more than my others.

But yeah I think I've pinpointed what's bothering me about these.  Its definitley how I'm hearing the treble,  sounds like its layered behind all the other music, not enough sparkle/energy to it or something.  Maybe I've been spending too much time with my T1's.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
Burn-in is highly needed, as with most big dynamic driver IEMs.
Bass will develop into a phenomenal beast,

And honestly treble-wise, FX700 is completely cristalline, with no veil, amazing extension, from far the best treble I've heard to render cymbals in all the IEMs I had. Also a beauty with female voices, but don't expect forward vocal presentation.

That's exactly how i feel about the fx500! Around 300 hours burn in (listening to every single minute) and my favourite iem, perfect for metal and rock. Hell, i even use them to listen to drum and bass. Then again i have nothing else to compare them to, nothing as clean as this anyway, probably why i love them so much.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 27
The FX700 need a lot of burn in to start sounding like themselves.  When I first got mine, I too was disappointed.  Lately I have been cleaning house by way of testing every piece of gear I own.  I can tell that I have been spoiled from using the HE6/EF6 and I can also tell you that the FX700 are the only pair of IEMs that I know are not going to find their way into the classified section.  I also own IE8, amongst others, and frankly comparing my 300+ hours burned in FX700 directly makes me start to wonder if my IE8 aren't fake.  Take the advice of others and don't even listen to them until they have 50+ hours on them.  That way you will know it isn't your ears that have adapted and you will be able to decide if you like them or not....will admit the treble probably isn't for everybody.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 27
IMO I didn't notice any significant improvement with burn in, I loved them straight out of the box and they continue to be amazing- I almost feel like comparing them to grados, in the 'in your face' way they put you directly on stage, but with added soundstage bonus of far out stereo expansion. Just my two cents, these are keepers

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 27
As the only person ITT who has heard both the-lovely kiteki's fx500 and fx700 [Both via a neutral dap and through my full-size rig], I think I'm qualified to make a few statements.

The fx700 is a love or hate iem. It's thickness of note at times is accompanied by an unsurpassed timbre/natural presentation of classical and acoustic music. Despite it's elevated low-end, it excels in imaging clearly through the large ample soundstage. Try using ue silicone tips, there must be something seriously wrong with the fit or your pair. There is no veil, these smack with aggressiveness via pop music.
You're source is to blame as well. Do you eq your music? What files do you use?

I think there something wrong. The fx700 is not something people hate, they are universally recognized as a top-tier iem. The ie8 on the other hand has long been sold due to their obviously mid-bass hump.

The fx500 on the other hand is similar to the original ck90 pro, soundstage is confined and the filter should be removed to get more out of them.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
I think there something wrong. The fx700 is not something people hate, they are universally recognized as a top-tier iem. The ie8 on the other hand has long been sold due to their obviously mid-bass hump.

Yeah I don't know what to say, except to give them some time.  They aren't bad, I guess I just expected more with all the praise I've read.

As far as the IE8, I like them more than any of the other universal IEM's in my sig (even with the mid bass problem).

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 27

Sorry, I retract yesterdays comments.

The FX500 sounds really nice tonight.

My first listening impressions two weeks ago were very emotionally tainted.  I ripped open the box at the post office, connected them to a weak source, and couldn't get my mind very far past that narrow bronze hallway of soundspace, and I like open-sky highs and piercy treble which they don't have either, not to mention too I'm familiarised to Sony EX series type soundspace and was lovesick having broken my EX700.

Now, in the still of the night, after I've accepted them for what they are, listening within the bronze hallway at peace, connected to my desktop source, they shine.  Violins are quite beautiful, electronic music has excellent impact and detail.

As a bonus, I feel like I can listen at high volumes like 90dB or so no idea without my ears saying "quit it", well, I'll see if they're ringing when I hit the pillow later.

Edit:  WOW with some tip rolling these sound even better now, those stock tips are up to no good, never gone so 180° on an IEM before hahaha!

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 27
Sorry, I retract yesterdays comments.

The FX500 sounds really nice tonight.

My first listening impressions two weeks ago were very emotionally tainted.  I ripped open the box at the post office, connected them to a weak source, and couldn't get my mind very far past that narrow bronze hallway of soundspace, and I like open-sky highs and piercy treble which they don't have either, not to mention too I'm familiarised to Sony EX series type soundspace and was lovesick having broken my EX700.

Now, in the still of the night, after I've accepted them for what they are, listening within the bronze hallway at peace, connected to my desktop source, they shine.  Violins are quite beautiful, electronic music has excellent impact and detail.

As a bonus, I feel like I can listen at high volumes like 90dB or so no idea without my ears saying "quit it", well, I'll see if they're ringing when I hit the pillow later.

Edit:  WOW with some tip rolling these sound even better now, those stock tips are up to no good, never gone so 180° on an IEM before hahaha!

Told you <3
Or did I?
yeah they are impressive, the fx-700s more-so.
What tips are you using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back