jvc fx40 replacement
Nov 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

banddfl

New Head-Fier
Hello,
First post on the forum but have been a follower for a while.

I bought over the years quite a few iems based on reviews.
I listen mainly to country and a little of rock.

- Meelectronics m9 : never liked them, weak...
- xears nature x3 : loved them, rich sound, great mids, powerful a little boomy bass but crappy built, 2 of them failed within 3 months. Bulky!
- xears comunicate cp100 : about the same as nature , failed after a couple of month too...

-jvc x1x : burned in, they are not bad, not great, gave them to my wife... needed something better, missed the xears...

-jvc fx40 : bought them about 3-4 weeks ago, a lot of bassdrive burn in applied.
Now was really unsure about them at first, but that clarity was undeniable. The best of all previous. The treble was kinda harsh and still is at high volume. The bass and sub bass is awesome. Way tighter and goes deeper then xears . On some songs, they're just wonderful, really fast accurate driver. When a/bing The xears x3 are not nearly as detailed and almost muffled. But then again, the mids on the fx40 can be quite recesseced and voices can sound thin. A little boost in the 910 hz helped a bit for sure on eq. But still they're a little fatiguing over time even if the sound signature really grew on me.

Now. Debating in between buying an other fx40, need a backup as i leave abroad right now and use them everyday or buy something else.

I know most are gonna recommend the mh1c, want to try it but that big remote right in your face is just a deal breaker for me.

Any other recommendations, under $40 similar to the jvc but maybe a fuller sound, as clear, as fast, bass is important as a part of the music to me. Not as harsh even if they definitely tamed a lot abd i got used to it lol

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm new at this but I just saw that Hi Fi Man RE-ZERO's are on sale this weekend for $60 at HeadDirect. RE-ZEROs seem to be highly regarded here. I just bought my first $100 IEMs (Shure SE215s) but the reviews for the Zero's are so good I'm wishing I had waited...

Just a little over your budget but might be worth looking at...

JJ

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm new at this but I just saw that Hi Fi Man RE-ZERO's are on sale this weekend for $60 at HeadDirect. RE-ZEROs seem to be highly regarded here. I just bought my first $100 IEMs (Shure SE215s) but the reviews for the Zero's are so good I'm wishing I had waited...
Just a little over your budget but might be worth looking at...
JJ

Considered those for a while before xears but reliability was not the best either. I Am pretty though as i work outside most of the day. How do u like the shure. Did they meet your expectations?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 5
The SE215s are a little bulky in my ears but they sound really good. Maybe a little too "warm" sometimes. They are not bass heavy but they do have a darker kind of feel. I've broken them in for about 20 hours now and they definitely improved. Best thing for me is the over the ear fit that minimizes cable noise. I have a pair of Philips SHE3590's that sound more clear but don't have the impact of the Shures. 'Course I only paid $10 for the Philips.

I'm thinking that I might like a BA type to get the clarity. Maybe Phonak Perfect Bass or Etymotics next year. I asked for JVC FX40's for Christmas so maybe I'll get to try those out too.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back