JVC FX33 Mod.
Jun 3, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #46 of 136
Just performed the mod on my 'mallows, initial impressions before adding the foam are exactly as kramer described. Highs are a little fatiguing, I'm liking the bass more though. I'll post back after a short listen and the addition of foam to attenuate the highs.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #47 of 136
I'm done, and loving the results. IMHO, the bass is slightly tighter, instrumentals and vocals are more upfront and detailed. The amount of foam I put in initially filled the length and breadth of the entire tube, but the improvements I heard to the bass, vocals and instrumentals were veiled. So what I did was made sure the next bits of foam covered the breadth of the tube, but cut the length in half. That produced the perfect balance of all aspects, and I'll keep it that way.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #48 of 136
I have to say this is a awesome mod. It really helped the mid-highs and highs a lot. I had to use some foam, no paper or foam made them too harsh.

I also did a cosmetic mod to my White FX33's. Figuring out which one was Left and which one was Right was not EZ at all. So I Sharpied the Left blue and the Right red
etysmile.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #49 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say this is a awesome mod. It really helped the mid-highs and highs a lot. I had to use some foam, no paper or foam made them too harsh.

I also did a cosmetic mod to my White FX33's. Figuring out which one was Left and which one was Right was not EZ at all. So I Sharpied the Left blue and the Right red
etysmile.gif

left one has a bump, i just feel around instead of looking

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #50 of 136
Quote:

etysmile.gif

The sharpie worked..but will rub/wear off. it probably would have been better if I sealed the color with something.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #51 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
left one has a bump, i just feel around instead of looking

blink.gif
theres a bump
blink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #55 of 136
Yes there is a bump...but Visual ID'ing is much faster & EZ'er for me.

My Sharpie'ed BLUE & RED stained the housing, so rubbing off the color reduced the colorful impact, but still left them tinted quite a bit.

I love these little guys!!!

I think I am turning into a IEM guy!

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #56 of 136
I ded the kramer mod, and switched the tips for some replacement ex-51 tips I bought, but then the phones went missing, although I think I am in a better place now.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #57 of 136
Just got my Marshmallows today, and it only took one demo of "Brothers in Arms" to tell me they badly needed the mod.

The paper covers on mine came off with no scraping whatsoever - I just poked under there with an exacto knife and they came right off. I guess the glue in some batches is stronger than others.

Following this, they were extremely bright to me. Problem was, I had no headphone-type foam around. I ended up using some dense anti-static foam that came on the bottom of an AMD processor - just tore off a couple of small pieces and shoved them in.

All I can say is...WOW! The highs and lows are just right for me now. My only complaint is the lack of detail, but frankly I couldn't ask anything more of $15 buds.

Kramer is a GOD!
etysmile.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #58 of 136
Any thought to opening up pin holes in the back, might relieve some of the congestion problems? The downside to these is I feel that they put a lot of pressure on my ears (I've switched from the marshmallow pads to Sony ex51 pads because I didnt like having to squish the foam everytime to put them in, and they sound just as good)

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #59 of 136
Quote:

Yes there is a bump...but Visual ID'ing is much faster & EZ'er for me.

My Sharpie'ed BLUE & RED stained the housing, so rubbing off the color reduced the colorful impact, but still left them tinted quite a bit.

I love these little guys!!!

I think I am turning into a IEM guy!

I wonder if you could just rewire a pink one and a blue one together for left and right....

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #60 of 136
Best 5 mins I've spent all week. NO MORE SUPER BASS. I love my Marshmallows but now they feel a bit more open and actually better. My first Kramer-fication and I'm now a satifisfied customer of the school of Garrett. ME's represent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back