JVC Air Cushion FX67 vs Meelectronics m9
Sep 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zhangvict

New Head-Fier
I am very new to the world of headphones, and I'm about to make my first purchase. I wanted something inexpensive but good, and finally came down to two items but I just can't decide which. They are:

JVC Air Cushion FX67
Meelectronics M9

I am slightly inclined toward the JVC, because of looks and because I don't have to order online - Meelectronics is not avalible in Hong Kong. However, the Meelc got higher ratings for sound in a massive multo IEM review somewhere in this forum. The JVC got 3.75/10 while the Meelec got 5.5/5.

Can someone with both headphones in terms of sound? How much better is the Meelec compared to the JVC?

BTW- The JVC sells for about $28 USD in my country. If I order the M9 onlign and add the shipping, the prices will be about the same. In today's world, is ~$30 worth it for the sound quality you get for both the JVC and the M9?

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 9
what kind of music do you listen to most?  the m9s will do good with stuff like hip hop and bass-y music.  the treble is decent for a cheap IEM.  overall, they're a pretty good deal.  i havent heard the jvc's though

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 9
M9 is very recessed mids and not great treble. It's tolerable for produced music like rock/pop/rap, but wholly inadequate for classical, jazz, or acoustic of any kind. They are cheap and somewhat disposable so I let them stay. They have impressive imaging and soundstage and are very very comfortable, though. In the end you get what you pay for.

I have not heard the JVC.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Depends on what you're after. The AirCushions are extremely comfortable and very easy to use. The sound is a bit warm and mushy but generally quite easy-going for a budget set. They don't do anything particularly well or particularly poorly. The Meelecs are as Maxvla said above, though I don't consider the treble particularly offensive for an $18 set. If you're paying closer to $30 for them, you may want to check out the ECCI PR100/200 and ViSang R01 on ebay.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 9
I prefer the M9, because the Air Cushions are more bassy. About the recessed mids... well, I don't find the mids recessed in either phone, and treble are, IMHO, better in the M9.

About comfort, the Cushions were the most comfortable phone I had used when I bought them, but nowadays I would say that the PL50 are the best. The new M9 (well, not so new, the model have been in the market for more than a year, if I recall correctly), with the elongated casing, are VERY comfortable, to the point of having felt sleep many times with them on. With silicone tips, I would prefer the Cushions, but with foamies the M9 are unbeatable
smily_headphones1.gif

So, my vote goes for M9.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Oh god, just when I thought that I have finished searching for the perfect pair of budget earphones, your two new recomendations have yet again sent me researching everywhere.

It seems like the M9 is not right for me, I don't really listen to any particular genre of music, as long as it's good, I like it. I think a balanced type of earphones would be best for me. Of course, I can buy loads of different sounding earphones and use a different one for each song, but that is kinda extreme...

I am now discarding my two above choices in favour of the Visang vs Ecci. I found a Vsang R02 on ebay for a mere $29, which is crazy and I cannot quite believe that the R02 got a better score for sound quality in Ijokerl's massive database than the $80 Klipsch image s4.

I must be careful not to hypnotize myself into getting addicted to audio by looking at earphones all day lol!

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I must be careful not to hypnotize myself into getting addicted to audio by looking at earphones all day lol!

You joined the wrong site if that is your goal. Our motto isn't 'Sorry about your wallet' for nothing.
cool.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 9
I own both the R02 and the S4 and I would not put the R02 above it in sound quality.  This just goes to show you how subjective sound quality is and how many variables go into an experience.  My musical tastes, source material, source player, and of course the physical ability of a persons ears to process sound.  I know my hearing is a bit worse than others so I like the punchyness and the crisper high frequencies.  It takes that to register for me.  PS, check my sig for some completely sealed R02s if your in the states.  I ended up with 2 pair somehow.

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Oh god, just when I thought that I have finished searching for the perfect pair of budget earphones, your two new recomendations have yet again sent me researching everywhere.

It seems like the M9 is not right for me, I don't really listen to any particular genre of music, as long as it's good, I like it. I think a balanced type of earphones would be best for me. Of course, I can buy loads of different sounding earphones and use a different one for each song, but that is kinda extreme...

I am now discarding my two above choices in favour of the Visang vs Ecci. I found a Vsang R02 on ebay for a mere $29, which is crazy and I cannot quite believe that the R02 got a better score for sound quality in Ijokerl's massive database than the $80 Klipsch image s4.

Take review ratings with a pinch of salt.

READ the reviews. Ratings are very very vague. If you read the reviews, you can pick up on the general sound signature of the earphones, and find something you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back