Justify an amp?
Feb 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lozanoa11

100+ Head-Fier
I am getting the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5pros (and may get them reshelled into customs) and am going to be using them with a zune HD. Most of my reading has shown that most IEM do no need amping. But I have also read of people adding resistance to their headphones to better sound quality.
If I were to do this would that justify getting an amp? I have no problem spending around $100 on an amp If it will help.

If so what would you recommend? Size is not really a factor, but battery life is, as I am planning a trip including long plane rides and limited access to electricity.

I almost want to buy the iBasso d2+ boa on looks alone. I don't need a DAC but if one in a portable amp would be better than my sound card I would consider for use in my home set up. If so It would be nice to have one with digital input and I could expand my budget.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Just a heads up, there is some one selling there mint D2 Boa in the for sale forum. I was going to get it myself but decided to get a T3.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Sold already I think. What other portable DAC's have optical or coaxial inputs?

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lozanoa11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sold already I think. What other portable DAC's have optical or coaxial inputs?

The Ibasso D10 is a popular amp here on head-fi with opitical input.

But why would you need optical or coaxial for Zune HD. If you're using your PC or laptop also I would reccomend the Ibasso D4 which is cheaper and have a better DAC section compare to the D10.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Im not using the DAC with the Zune but would like to use it with my home setup as well. I like having the flexablity of using optical or coaxial so I can use it with my sound card.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 8
then the Ibasso D10 would be good, but it's well over 100$. so you should find some threads and research before making a decision

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Screw it. Ordering now lol! Is there shipping as good as it was a year or so ago when it would show up in 2 days?

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Almost as good, my T3 took 3 days China > Sweden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back