Just took the plunge into higher end headphones.
May 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #31 of 40
OK so the Denons arrived on the mail and so far I'm impressed and I'm only running these puppies out of a headphone jack. Can't wait to get the other stuff.

I will say for what I got them for they are proving to be a hell of a deal.

May 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #32 of 40
Congrats! Just wait till you get a nice amp/dac. I was shocked at how much better they got.

May 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
OK so the Denons arrived on the mail and so far I'm impressed and I'm only running these puppies out of a headphone jack. Can't wait to get the other stuff.

I will say for what I got them for they are proving to be a hell of a deal.

Glad you like them. I always feel like that when I get a new piece of equipment. Whenever something new ships I find myself not listening to any music because I know it's just going to sound better whenever whatever I ordered comes in. 

May 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #34 of 40
What other closed Can would you recommend for the same price as the d2000 and d5000?

if you really need closed cans, the DT770-600 is a no brainer. try to snatch some j$ genuine leather pads....you'll loooooove it!

the trebles on the Beyer 600Ohmers are so much clearer than on the Denon's that it's not even funny
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #35 of 40
I had a chance to spend a bit more time with the Denons today. So far I noticed the bass that the reviewers here were talking about. Luckily for me it's not that bad. Or at least it wasn't what I was expecting which was bass that would be found in a pair of Beats headphones. I also noticed they are more comfortable than the headphones I came from (B&W P5s). Lastly I got a tad curious and decided to run them through my Marantz SR8002 receiver and there is a clear difference between music from my receiver and music from my notebook and iPod jack.

Speaking of amping these puppies would a Cmoy amp do for the time being? Or should I skip the cmoy?

May 30, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #36 of 40
You have a receiver, why not just use that? A Cmoy's not going to beat a receiver, you know. 

May 30, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
You have a receiver, why not just use that? A Cmoy's not going to beat a receiver, you know. 

Good point. However from the little I understand using a receiver might not be the best way to power a set of headphones. I also heard that headphone jacks on most receivers are not that well built and will break with usage (not sure how true this is). However if this is a myth then I guess the Marantz will be a nice stop gap :).

As far as cmoy goes I figured it would be good for those times where I'm at Starbucks when with my laptop. But this is just me living up to my username LOL :wink:.

May 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #38 of 40
stupidnoobie...get a nice SS headphone amp for them.  what are you driving them with right now? the need an amp to control them...tighten the bass and smooth the sibilance.  from my experience with portable sources (even with my marantz cd player) they tend to sound lifeless out of them.    

May 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #39 of 40
How much were you looking to spend on an amp/dac for them?

Story time: I ran my Denons out of my speakers/sub for about 2 months, which was a bit better than anything else I had at the time, and really liked them. Then, I got an amp/dac a little while ago and I was blown away. The difference was incredible (at least for me) everything became much more involving and emotional. Everything improved and the bass reached a new level. It's really something else. I can't wait till I'm able to listen to them again.

Morale of the story: Amp/dac + D2000 = awesome happiness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back