Just took the plunge into higher end headphones.
May 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
^ As this is a dbt-free forum we can't discuss the issue beyond sighted impressions .  Tho, as you state above, it can cost a lot of of money to experience a difference.  We can all agree that the best bang for your buck will come from a well-engineered amp, dac and headphones.

I completely agree. I always make note to spend money on headphones, then source files (FLAC), then DAP, then Amp (DAP/AMP interchangable for me depending on what headphones I'm using) then cables. 

May 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
The Denons are certainly attractive and this is why so many people buy them. Replace there looks with a plain black plastic shell and you're looking at a $30 headphone, not the smartest buy if you're one-bit into audio.

Not sure I can agree with that one...replace them with a black plastic shell and you get D2000s which many head-fi-ers dig as great, fun sounding phones, oh well - one man's opinion...

I'm also not convinced a Dac purchase is the last thing either - an important part of the chain - a Dac upgrade is a huge difference maker I think! 

May 27, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:
Not sure I can agree with that one...replace them with a black plastic shell and you get D2000s which many head-fi-ers dig as great, fun sounding phones, oh well - one man's opinion...

I'm also not convinced a Dac purchase is the last thing either - an important part of the chain - a Dac upgrade is a huge difference maker I think! 

Well I've read reviews that say the D5000 is sloppier than the D2000 which I owned for a period of time. Do you not think the D2000 looks attractive ~ I do and think this is why it sells as good as it does. By black plastic shell I was referring to the likes of the JVC RX700; sounds better than the D2000 but looks quite ugly so it's not as popular. This theory also explains why Skullcandy despite there horrible approach to audio sells incredibly well.

May 27, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
Well I've read reviews that say the D5000 is sloppier than the D2000 which I owned for a period of time. Do you not think the D2000 looks attractive ~ I do and think this is why it sells as good as it does. By black plastic shell I was referring to the likes of the JVC RX700; sounds better than the D2000 but looks quite ugly so it's not as popular. This theory also explains why Skullcandy despite there horrible approach to audio sells incredibly well.

Well - not quite sure how to answer you there - have never heard the ugly JVC RX700s - but they don't look elephant man horrible to me regardless of how they sound. D2000s look just fine - but I personally think they sound superb and the looks had nothing to do with me buying them. Maybe others buy stuff cause it looks cool - I don't.

May 27, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #23 of 40

Quote:

Weird - "one man's opinion" was me - I am positive about D2000s - so I guess I can't make it two?

Really guys and girls - I can't trash someone else's impressions/opinions - it's ok to not like Denons - I love 'em so that's just the way it is!

May 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 40
hehe, no worries! I'm just stunned that everyone raves about those phones...nothing more, nothing less. It already happened w/ the Proline750, I wouldn't buy it for $20 and some ppl rave about them like the eighth world wonder
bigsmile_face.gif

May 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 40

Quote:
hehe, no worries! I'm just stunned that everyone raves about those phones...nothing more, nothing less. It already happened w/ the Proline750, I wouldn't buy it for $20 and some ppl rave about them like the eighth world wonder
bigsmile_face.gif

C'mon leeperry - you must like something? Tell us...

For the OP - your D5000s will be beautiful with a nice Dac (DacMagic or VDac) and a Matrix M-Stage...those phones deserve a great source/amp! 

May 28, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
 "I find listening to a washing machine more entertaining than to a d2k"

What other closed Can would you recommend for the same price as the d2000 and d5000? From what I've read they're kinda in an unrivaled class of their own within the $200-$500 price range. Not to bash on your opinion, I only ask because I'm considering getting one of them. 

May 28, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #27 of 40
They are not in a class of their own at that price range (D5000 owner). That would imply they are universally better than cans at similar price points, and that's just not true.

May 28, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #28 of 40
In terms of closed cans, it's kinda slim Pickings(at least from what I've seen in phones over $100 and under $500). Is there some kind of secret world of closed headphones that I'm missing out on? ... You say you have the d5000? What is a better closed Can for Under $500 USD? If the D5000 and D2000 are just hype I would rather not waste the $$$.

Btw, Sry to the OP for slightly hijacking this thread.... my question is kinda related tho
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #29 of 40
I don't know... I need to live with a decent amp hooked up the D5000's to tell you for sure, most of my amp testing has been done with the K701. Right now they're kind of muddy (with bass and instrument separation) but there's flashes of decency, a pretty good soundstage for a closed can and decent mids. They're actually pretty smooth. I don't think they're 100% hype, but not a class above everything else, in some ways I liked the Ultrasone Pro 900 more. I think they were kind of a shocker when introduced because they were decent closed cans in that price range, rare at that time, but the landscape's changed a bit - Pro 900, ESW10, ES10, W1000X/A2000X. I'll also have to own/listen the Audio Technica's before I can give an informed opinion. 

May 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #30 of 40

Quote:
In terms of closed cans, it's kinda slim Pickings(at least from what I've seen in phones over $100 and under $500). Is there some kind of secret world of closed headphones that I'm missing out on? ... You say you have the d5000? What is a better closed Can for Under $500 USD? If the D5000 and D2000 are just hype I would rather not waste the $$$.

Btw, Sry to the OP for slightly hijacking this thread.... my question is kinda related tho
biggrin.gif

Slim pickings indeed.  I've owned 6 closed headphones (D7000, D5000, SRH840, DT250-250, K271MKIII DT770-80), and like them in that order but frankly I like the D7000 about as much as my Grado SR-225 and less than my Grado HF-1, and the latter cost less than 1/2 as much as the D7000.  I think leaves M-50 and DT770-600 as leading candidates, but I haven't heard those.  From what I've read, people generally rank the sound quality of M-50 below SRH840 and the DT770-600 seem almost universally loved, some comparing them favorably to D7000, with the Beyers described as less colored.  So (not having owned them) I'd personally take a chance and go for the DT770-600 with a good tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back