Just Starting Out
Nov 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

gorillaman5434

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and new to headphones in general. I recently became interested in headphones about a month ago, when I got my first iPod. I'm 14 years old, and am looking to buy some good quality headphones of my own. Because I'm only 14, I don't have much money of my own, so I'm looking for something cheap (hoping for under $80). I mostly listen to Rock and Alternative Rock music. I need some good headphones with crisp highs, and a lot of bass. One of my favorite bands is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and if you've heard any of their music, you'll know about how the bass sounds. I'm looking for suggestions, and I want something better than stuff like Skullcandy. Right now I have some Sennheiser HD 202's that I got for $20. I want something a little better, but not too expensive. I know this might sound dumb, but I also want them to look cool. I'm open to anything, so please give me suggestions! Oh, and I think I'd like them to be closed, so the sound doesn't leak out and annoy the people around me.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 32
Well, before you said, "closed," I would've recommended a pair of Grado SR-60's.  However, if you're looking for closed and something that will impress with lows and highs, try the Sony MDR-V6.  You should be able to find it discounted to $80 most places.  As far as looking cool, not so sure about that, but they will certainly look professional - they're used almost everywhere there's a sound studio.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
Thank you. I'm not sure about the "closed" part, I just don't want much of the music leaking from the headphones and disturbing people around me.

Right.  Which is why Grado's are out of the question.  They leak music like there's no tomorrow.  They sound great, though.

That said, there not as bad at leaking as Sennheiser HD800's.  I've never heard a pair of headphones that sounded louder outside the cans than in, but those seem to do just that.  Just a digression, though, I'm sure you're not interested in $1000+ headphones.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 32
Okay I'll go up to about $150. I really want some good headphones, and I might as well invest in some that will last me a while. Those Sony's seem pretty good for me, but I think I should spend a little extra because I want some really good quality headphones that will last a while.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
Okay I'll go up to about $150. I really want some good headphones, and I might as well invest in some that will last me a while. Those Sony's seem pretty good for me, but I think I should spend a little extra because I want some really good quality headphones that will last a while.

Quote:
I've seen some AKG's and they seem pretty good, but I've never heard them. Anyone have info on them?

Well, many AKG's need a good amp to really shine.   That's sort of why I recommended the Sony V6 - that and the fact that you seemed interested in good bass.  AKG's are not really known for that, either.  Generally speaking, they have more of a midrange and highs/detail type of signature, depending on the model.

The AKG K240/Mk II/242 is partially open, but doesn't leak nearly as much sound as a Grado.  It's a classic headphone (just as with the Sony V6) with a lot of history.  The AKG K271/2 is closed and therefore may be closer to what you may want, but it's not a bass monster.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
Alright, thanks a lot for the help both of you. I'll make sure to check those out.

No Problem..Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back