Just started ripping my 1000 CD collection to flac....
Apr 21, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #16 of 36
What kind of drive do you have? I'm still in the process of ripping all my discs and I searched around for a drive that specifically tested well for ripping. Might be something to look into considering you have a large collection.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 36
If you want fast and secure rips in EAC try running in burst mode, test&copy and use Accuraterip. It should take less than 10 min. If Accruaterip says its good than move on to the next disc. If Accuraterip doesn't have the disc in the database or shows All tracks as not accurate, then look at the CRCs in the log file to see if they match. If they match, then move on to the next disc. Finally, if Accuraterip says one or more (not all) of the tracks are not accurate OR one or more of the tracks do not match CRCs in the log file, rerip the disc using secure mode, disable disc cache, disable c2, and run Test&Copy. This last step is the most secure way of ripping, but is overkill (takes too long) for discs that are in good shape.

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 36
I tried EAC for one song's worth of conversion. It seemed to take forever. I converted my 350CDs to flac using Foobar 8.3 which averaged 3.5 minutes per CD. That's right. And I can't tell any diff between that and the eac conversion. It's lossless after all. Plus my system is an aging dell 400SC with a P2.8. Nothing fancy.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want fast and secure rips in EAC try running in burst mode, test&copy and use Accuraterip. It should take less than 10 min. If Accruaterip says its good than move on to the next disc. If Accuraterip doesn't have the disc in the database or shows All tracks as not accurate, then look at the CRCs in the log file to see if they match. If they match, then move on to the next disc. Finally, if Accuraterip says one or more (not all) of the tracks are not accurate OR one or more of the tracks do not match CRCs in the log file, rerip the disc using secure mode, disable disc cache, disable c2, and run Test&Copy. This last step is the most secure way of ripping, but is overkill (takes too long) for discs that are in good shape.

This is correct advice. Now that EAC has AccurateRip, there is no need to rip in "secure mode" for the majority of your CDs. It's just slow and gives you nothing. It does not improve accuracy at all. If a CD is in the AccurateRip database, you should rip it using Burst mode, which is very fast. You don't even have to use Test&Copy if it's in the AccurateRip database.

Only if a CD is not in the AccurateRip database, or if it is but you can't get a good match (possibly a different pressing, or scratches on your disk), do you need to use the slow Secure mode ripping. And even then, there is some debate about whether Burst mode + Test and copy is better than Secure mode. They're basically equivalent. (Burst mode + Test and copy is much faster though.)

If this advice is too complicated to follow, consider switching to dbPowerAmp for ripping. It does exactly this behind the scenes. Unfortunately it costs money and doesn't support CUE sheets. But it's better than wasting your time ripping every CD in EAC's secure mode. You'll never plow through a large collection that way. (Think about it, 30 minutes per CD, running continuously 8 hours a day, it'll take a week to rip just 100 CDs. If you only rip for two hours a day, it'll take almost a month to plow through just 100 CDs, and almost a year to get through 1000 CDs.)

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 36
dBpowerAmp does this very well with AccurateRip. It's converter works with dual core processors now as two threads. It set it up to do a directory and its effective converter speed using my E6600 Dell is approximately 100x. That is fast to convert my existing FLAC files to MP3s. Another way to look at it is that it converts an album in approx. 1 minute to high level MP3s from FLAC 5.

As a point of reference, I think I remember in getting my FLAC 5s off the CD with dBpowerAmp in about 20 minutes. In a previous setup this ripping took approx. five minutes. I do not know what is different between them.

Apr 22, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #24 of 36
I would honestly just use eac to rip files to wav and then batch tag and transcode with foobar....foobar being mutlithreaded is also a big plus.

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would honestly just use eac to rip files to wav and then batch tag and transcode with foobar....foobar being mutlithreaded is also a big plus.

You know that you can queue EAC compression task and set it as multi threaded as well.

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is correct advice. Now that EAC has AccurateRip, there is no need to rip in "secure mode" for the majority of your CDs. It's just slow and gives you nothing. It does not improve accuracy at all. If a CD is in the AccurateRip database, you should rip it using Burst mode, which is very fast. You don't even have to use Test&Copy if it's in the AccurateRip database.

Only if a CD is not in the AccurateRip database, or if it is but you can't get a good match (possibly a different pressing, or scratches on your disk), do you need to use the slow Secure mode ripping. And even then, there is some debate about whether Burst mode + Test and copy is better than Secure mode. They're basically equivalent. (Burst mode + Test and copy is much faster though.)

If this advice is too complicated to follow, consider switching to dbPowerAmp for ripping. It does exactly this behind the scenes. Unfortunately it costs money and doesn't support CUE sheets. But it's better than wasting your time ripping every CD in EAC's secure mode. You'll never plow through a large collection that way. (Think about it, 30 minutes per CD, running continuously 8 hours a day, it'll take a week to rip just 100 CDs. If you only rip for two hours a day, it'll take almost a month to plow through just 100 CDs, and almost a year to get through 1000 CDs.)

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me exactly how to rip using Accurate Rip and T&C?

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway I notices the bitrate fluctuated between 500kbps and around 1000kbps. Is this normal for a flac file? Seems to shave off A LOT from a wav file, which normally reads 44Hertz in Winamp.

Bitrate does not matter with flac, it is lossless.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The encoding step is the only part of the process that will tax your CPU, if that's what you're seeing, it's definitely the CD drive (or scratched up CDs). Pretty much everything these days does DAE pretty well though, so that's a bit odd, assuming you haven't been recycling that optical drive through a few PC builds.

Either that or you don't have DMA enabled on the drive.

I have DMA enabled, and my CD drives were installed on my pc about 2 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a similar problem. Adjusted the size of virtual memory* and the process sped up. If you haven't done it yet, here are the steps for Windows XP:

1. Open Control Panel
2. Click on System
3. Click on Advanced
4. Click on Performance and Settings
5. Click on Advanced
6. Click on Virtual Memory
7. Change the "total paging file size for all drives" to the maximum. For my system, it was 3000 MB.

Made a big difference for me.

I know about page filing, my PC is messed so that it wont connect to routers unless my page filing is at least 2000mb.

Apr 22, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that you can queue EAC compression task and set it as multi threaded as well.

Yes I know, but I always found my way more convenient. Foobar is a more powerful tagging app and I have always been more comfortable using that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back