Just started ripping my 1000 CD collection to flac....
Apr 22, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would honestly just use eac to rip files to wav and then batch tag and transcode with foobar....foobar being mutlithreaded is also a big plus.

I wouldn't, especially when EAC tags FLAC files so well.

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu
Anyway I notices the bitrate fluctuated between 500kbps and around 1000kbps. Is this normal for a flac file? Seems to shave off A LOT from a wav file, which normally reads 44Hertz in Winamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bitrate does not matter with flac, it is lossless.

Also, you seem to have muddled sample rate (the 44Khz) with bitrate. Not the same thing...

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In case you're wondering, the first CD that had the pleasure of being encoded to FLAC was Simple Minds - New Gold Dream. My favorite album of all time
wink.gif

superb choice for number one album. my favourite too, and listening now to this stunning timeless masterpiece.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
superb choice for number one album. my favourite too, and listening now to this stunning timeless masterpiece.

Hey I'm curious...do you own both the original and remastered version? If so, how would you compare the sound quality between the two?

There is also a SACD version that I bought but hasn't arrived yet. Do any of you know if SACDs can be ripped to flac and played in foobar/winamp? Will the enhanced quality be heard?

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

There is also a SACD version that I bought but hasn't arrived yet. Do any of you know if SACDs can be ripped to flac and played in foobar/winamp? Will the enhanced quality be heard?

You can rip an SACD with any normal ripper, but you'll only get the stereo RedBook audio layer. The SACD data is on a separate layer that the laser in a standard CD drive can't focus on. Unfortunately there doesn't yet seem to be a way to rip these to a computer.

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Hey I'm curious...do you own both the original and remastered version? If so, how would you compare the sound quality between the two?

i would say mine is original as i bought it early to mid 90's on cd (unless thats when they remastered it). i would want to check before getting the remastered version, as some of my remastered discs sound inferior ('saturday night fever' soundtrack was a good example - more compressed, harsh, lacking dynamics etc) than the original cd.

something i have always found interesting about the new gold dream disc is it needs a little extra volume on any device i drive it with to get it up to comparable volume levels. not sure if this is due to system settings during production, or its stunning production quality which allows cranking vol without fatigue or harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back